Community Member

Default Spell Resistance is badly bugged for barbarians

Thanks to some great help from Meidehn of Argonessen, I've learned about a few problems with barbarian spell resistance.

The setup: Me, a poorly-geared level 20 HOrc barbarian with Con 32/45 raged and the Occult Slayer capstone Mind Over Magic (gain spell resistance equal to con score). Insightful SR +14 item and rank 1 of Ward Against Weird (You have 30 SR when below 100% health) from the Fury of the Wild epic destiny for testing.

Meidehn said he had 30 spell penetration for reference.

He easily penetrated my unbuffed SR of 32, as expected. But here's where it gets weird. When dropped below 100% health (activating Ward Against Weird), Ward *overwrites* the SR from Mind Over Magic, but only when it + items would be higher than what I get from Mind Over Magic (in this case 44 instead of 32). Ward and Mind do not stack, sadly.

Another problem is that the Occult Slayer capstone and Insightful SR do NOT stack, which is strange because different sources of SR usually stack. Drow and Occult Slayer SR stack, for example, according to other forum posts. I sadly did not have a quality item to test, so I do not know if this stacks (but it should).

In short: Occult Slayer and epic destiny SR do not stack with each other. Insightful spell resistance stacks with epic destiny SR, but NOT with the barb capstone. Strange effects all around, and no fun for us barbarians who like occult slayer. Anyone else had similar issues?

2. 12-26-2016, 09:38 AM

some reference, but it looks like Ward Against Weird is missing. it does say it does not stack with items looking up FOTW on wiki.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Resistance

Sources of SR:

Monk's Diamond Soul class feature
    Deep Gnome's / Drow's racial spell resistance
    Spell Resistance (spell)
    Spell Resistance, Mass spell
    Occult Slayer's capstone enhancement

The above sources don't stack. They also don't stack with items.

Items can grant bonus to SR:

Enhancement bonus - available on named items, random loot and via cannith crafting
    Insight bonus - available on random loot and via cannith crafting
    Quality bonus - available on named items

Additional stacking sources:

Spellshield Aura: +6 sacred bonus
    Grandmaster of Flowers: +1 per core
    Serenity: +9 twistable (tier 2)
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Skycaptain View Post
    Another problem is that the Occult Slayer capstone and Insightful SR do NOT stack, which is strange because different sources of SR usually stack. Drow and Occult Slayer SR stack, for example, according to other forum posts.
    At one time I used my free LR +20 on a drow because I thought drow + occult slayer Sr would stack - I was wrong. This was before the item pass and legendary so this must have changed.

Based on the above comment Occult slayer SR is an insight bonus which you can easily check by adding a standard spell resistance item and testing.

If this is true, Occult slayer SR is better and more interesting compared to it being the same as drow SR.

Spell resistance is right on your character sheet. If you are saying your testing is not matching with the displayed #, that is definitely something that should be addressed. When I was running occult slayer most was for easy daily EE Orchard so I didn't have to worry about who joined. At that time the # was accurate and a little tweaking made the difference between me being immune to beholder rays subject to SR and not being immune.
    Last edited by slarden; 12-26-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

So as a deepgnome, nothing stacks with my racial SR? No items or barb/monk class?

6. 12-26-2016, 10:33 AM

7. 12-26-2016, 10:34 AM

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    At one time I used my free LR +20 on a drow because I thought drow + occult slayer Sr would stack - I was wrong. This was before the item pass and legendary so this must have changed.
    I had a drow OS barb some time ago, and drow SR definitely stacked with OS capstone at that point. The fairly low con drow barb had 90+ SR. No DPS, but hey, can't have everything...
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Community Member

Please note that I have added the section about SR on players rather recently and it might contain errors.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Resist...yer_characters
    Let me add some unverified tags to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    I had a drow OS barb some time ago, and drow SR definitely stacked with OS capstone at that point. The fairly low con drow barb had 90+ SR. No DPS, but hey, can't have everything...
    When orchard was end game it did not stack. I haven't tried it since then.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Based on the above comment Occult slayer SR is an insight bonus which you can easily check by adding a standard spell resistance item and testing.
    I can confirm that Occult Slayer SR does NOT stack with a regular SR item, it overwrites it. I tested this too.