Community Member

Default Cant seem to google the answer

I'm new to Thunder forged crafting and I'm looking to make some easy tier one (lvl 24) caster sticks. My question is does bastard sword count as a one handed weapon or does it get the two handed weapon bonus to spell stuff?

Community Member

Default Edit not working for me

Sigh. Yes English is my first language. I just can't seem to type google correctly.

it is a one-handed weapon but if wielded without a second one with bastard sword proficiency, you get glancing blows
    http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Proficiency:_Bastard_Sword
    No idea re spell stuff
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Manager

My understanding is that since bastard sword benefits from the Two Handed Fighting line of feats, applicable benefits apply. I've also corrected the title of the thread.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Guardian
    Hero
    Crown Clown
    Death Dodger

I'm gonna go with no, the point of Two handed weapons additional bonuses via Thunderforged is because ya can't dual yield a 2nd caster stick, since the bonus is ON the weapon, and not acting like a buff.

Cordovan seem to think otherwise, so only one way to find out, create one, and report back to us
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrael View Post
    I'm gonna go with no, the point of Two handed weapons additional bonuses via Thunderforged is because ya can't dual yield a 2nd caster stick, since the bonus is ON the weapon, and not acting like a buff.

Cordovan seem to think otherwise, so only one way to find out, create one, and report back to us
    Cordovan misunderstood the question. If they had given Thunderforged bastard swords the extra effects that two handed weapons received, every caster would have been dual wielding bastard swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydeby View Post
    I'm new to Thunder forged crafting and I'm looking to make some easy tier one (lvl 24) caster sticks. My question is does bastard sword count as a one handed weapon or does it get the two handed weapon bonus to spell stuff?
    To maybe sorta answer it
    Bswords count as both 1 & 2 handed weapons depending on what is or is not in your off hand.
    If you wield a second weapon in off hand then 2wf feats affect it
    If you wield a shield in off hand then both 2h & shield mastery feats affect it
    If you wield nothing (& I think orbs) then 2h feats affect it
    Now as far as spell stuff bonuses ... that is a good question & something I have never tested
    I would hope it follows the melee rules .... but ......
    More than likely for thunderforge it is treated as a single handed weapon
    Mechanics - To Hit/Dam mods

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council
    2017-2021 PC Member

My guess would be no, since it is just a one-handed weapon. It just happens to provide glancing blows in certain circumstances. Same would apply with dwarven axes.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    My understanding is that since bastard sword benefits from the Two Handed Fighting line of feats, applicable benefits apply. I've also corrected the title of the thread.
    Wait does that mean that if I have a bastard sword and a shield I get melee power from 'two handed fighting' feat AND 'shield mastery' feat?
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    Wait does that mean that if I have a bastard sword and a shield I get melee power from 'two handed fighting' feat AND 'shield mastery' feat?
    No. The melee power aspect of those feats does not stack because it is typed the same. It's the same with the melee power from SWF and shield feats in the case of a swashbuckler. But all other bonuses from the feats stack.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    No. The melee power aspect of those feats does not stack because it is typed the same. It's the same with the melee power from SWF and shield feats in the case of a swashbuckler. But all other bonuses from the feats stack.
    +1
    This, oddly enough since the bonuses are equal, my toon cannot seem to decide which melee power to apply, sometimes its the one from Improved Shield Masterly +6, and sometimes its the greater two handed fighting +6.

Bastard Swords and Dwarven Axes are one handed weapons that get glancing blows (which certain feats and enhancements can increase).

They do not get any sort of two handed bonuses when crafted as a thunderforged weapon (yes I routinely use a thunderforged bastard sword so I know).

Trapped in Stone SlashbackWarrior's Avatar

Default No

No. You will not get extra caster benefits. Same for Dwarven axe. Since they are single handed weapon. THF feats and benefits are completely irrelevant for crafting purposes. I've crafted some bastard swords and D axes and they dont get extra augment slots, and, my very educated guess, will not get extra caster benefits.

I have a guildmate that uses Bastard Swords on his Paladin. His TF one does not have the extra stuff that would come on Two Handed Weapons. So my guess is you won't see Caster benefits meant for Two Handed Weapons.