View Poll Results: DDOwiki Image Poll Winner?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Entry 1:

9 5.45%
  • Entry 2:

16 9.70%
  • Entry 3:

32 19.39%
  • Entry 4:

108 65.45%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shoemaker View Post
    This is correct.

There is no option #5, as submissions were already closed and I'm not asking Cordovan to add another entry to the poll for a graphic that wasn't submitted before the deadline. I'm sorry, best I can do is suggest that you submit it when/if we do another contest for a different graphic.
    Is the logo going to be the same size as the existing one or is it going to be the ridiculously large size shown in the poll?

If it's going to be huge I'd like to change my vote to "Let's not bother wasting space with a logo".

Community Member

Default changes in mid stream

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Is the logo going to be the same size as the existing one or is it going to be the ridiculously large size shown in the poll?

If it's going to be huge I'd like to change my vote to "Let's not bother wasting space with a logo".
    The original posting stated that both the splash screen and logo were to be replaced, apparently they decided against replacing the logo and did not make that clear. Lets hope that when one of these monstrous things wins it will take up the same small place that the current graphic takes instead of assaulting our eyes every time we go to the wiki.

Default Size and Logo v. OP

The reason that size was selected is because that is the required minimum size for the social media banner part of what the image will be used for. It will likely be scaled down to a reasonable size for the wiki (likely to match the height of the existing image).

Quote Originally Posted by SofianRage2 View Post
    The original posting stated that both the splash screen and logo were to be replaced, apparently they decided against replacing the logo and did not make that clear. Lets hope that when one of these monstrous things wins it will take up the same small place that the current graphic takes instead of assaulting our eyes every time we go to the wiki.
    Calling all graphic artists!!! says
    Hello DDO community! I've been thinking about how times are changing and how the wiki could use a new graphic that represents the wiki.
    Yes, the logo is displayed there, but it is noted that
    makes an okay, albeit outdated, logo.
    which never claims that we were replacing the logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Now with real 100% closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baktiotha View Post
    I vote None of the Above.

I'm sure that the people who created them were very sincere. However, none look very professional. I could not even begin to consider seeing any of them each and every time I went to the wiki.

The very best of them is, IMO, #4 and it looks like it belongs on the cover of a 1980's AD&D module. Being 35 years late to the party just does not seem appropriate.

Of course, it doesn't matter. Seems that it is already decided that one of the 4 will win and assault our eyes when we use the wiki. It might be great if the goal is to stop people using the wiki.
    Very much this. No offense, but having one of these on the wiki would not be a good look for the game. #4 is a cool idea, and could potentially look very nice as a cleaned up illustration. Not a fan of the text and dice. I was going to make an entry since I majored in graphic design, and I do illustrations occasionally. I started a piece, but quickly abandoned it as I realized there simply wouldn't be nearly enough time to do what I wanted. There was only like a month to submit an entry, and by time I saw the post it was more like 2 weeks.

Should've made a kickstarter/gofundme page to commission a piece from the folks over at dungeons & drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by ycheese123 View Post
    Very much this. No offense, but having one of these on the wiki would not be a good look for the game. #4 is a cool idea, and could potentially look very nice as a cleaned up illustration. Not a fan of the text and dice. I was going to make an entry since I majored in graphic design, and I do illustrations occasionally. I started a piece, but quickly abandoned it as I realized there simply wouldn't be nearly enough time to do what I wanted. There was only like a month to submit an entry, and by time I saw the post it was more like 2 weeks.

Should've made a kickstarter/gofundme page to commission a piece from the folks over at dungeons & drawings.
    whichever banner is voted is not necessarily a permanent change for ddowiki and probably only for the ddowiki front page- not for every ddowiki page. i do not nav everytime to the front ddowiki homepage i google directly to the article i need to access. this is not going to be the visual apocalypse that some people are thinking
    if you started work on a graphic concept you could submit it. the contest was a call for ideas and the entire point of a wiki is community collaboration and contribution- it is disappointing hearing 'i could have done better'
    not everyone has the motivation to submit work and it is sad that people judge that only the amateurs did.

the graphic from knobul did look sharp- it is very tattoo inspired. the type is very clean but the {[brackets/parentheses]} were unnecessary as someone pointed out already- the .com text seemed superfluous too
    but the update 29 codex war images make an uninspired banner layout. he said he threw it together in little time but the elements were not very creative. the use of the ouroboros motif reminds me visually of the elder scrolls logo

Default Lots of good comments here.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg1976 View Post
    whichever banner is voted is not necessarily a permanent change for ddowiki correct and probably only for the ddowiki front page correct- not for every ddowiki page. i do not nav everytime to the front ddowiki homepage i google directly to the article i need to access. this is not going to be the visual apocalypse that some people are thinking correct
    if you started work on a graphic concept you could submit it I'd love to see it, even if it won't make it into this poll, who knows where else it could be used - everything on the wiki is under a CC license so anyone else could decide to use it as well - possibly for another DDO fansite or whatnot ~ I encourage this kind of thing. the contest was a call for ideas and the entire point of a wiki is community collaboration and contribution- it is disappointing hearing 'i could have done better' just sounds like a cop-out to me, but to each's own
    not everyone has the motivation to submit work and it is sad that people judge that only the amateurs did.

the graphic from knobul did look sharp- it is very tattoo inspired. the type is very clean but the {[brackets/parentheses]} were unnecessary as someone pointed out already the {[brackets/parentheses]} are what I liked the most, and what would have gained it the most point due to the coorelation with wikit- the .com text seemed superfluous too
    but the update 29 codex war images make an uninspired banner layout correct. he said he threw it together in little time but the elements were not very creative. the use of the ouroboros motif reminds me visually of the elder scrolls logo
    Comments in BOLD GREEN.

I worked with the idea it was going to be anywhere between 300px x 164px and it's native size. It's why I made my last two submissions as pure vector templates. I probably should have spent more time on the vectors, but that's not what was asked for. Rasterized bitmap graphics were certainly implied, if you don't consider a png a definition outright.

I wrote an article about it a week ago on my site, http://kody.manharth.us/ddowiki-design-contest/
    It mostly deals with my approach and requirements gathering results. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Seruvontes; 07-07-2016 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Updated url for SEO updates.

Default Results!!!

The poll is now officially closed! The results of the poll are:

So, the winner is:

I love all the not-hidden, but not so obvious details in that image.
    But what's bugging me is the map on the wall. I know that dungeon but for the life of me can't remember which one it is....

Quote Originally Posted by Widmore View Post
    But what's bugging me is the map on the wall. I know that dungeon but for the life of me can't remember which one it is....

Thanks.
    Now I know why I couldn't remember that.... I've run The Pit about 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Widmore View Post
    yay, thanks to everyone for voting and the supportive comments throughout the poll.

1. Yes, the map pinned to the back wall is the Pit.
    2. The parchment in the foreground under the compass tool is the ddowiki map of the Waterworks.
    3. The focus orb that serves as the medallion pendant shows a screenshot of the orrery from Chronoscope
    4. The background night sky behind the kobold shaman is a screenshot of the Menechtarun sky taken from Zawabi's Refuge at night.
    5. The layout of this graphic is supposed to evoke the 1st edition AD&D Unearthed Arcana cover; I originally conceived the kobold to be Arboth from Ataraxia (the kobold that dreams of being a dragon), and intended to put a "My Name is Arboth" sticker on his chest, but it came out looking too comical, and the illumination from the tome obscured the sticker.

-- but the idea that a resourceful kobold does all this research to advance his state of being is what ddowiki means to me.

Quote Originally Posted by grrowler View Post
    yay, thanks to everyone for voting and the supportive comments throughout the poll.
    This was your work? Great job then. I had fun looking through the details in it, and, being an "oldie" when it comes to D&D I did get the Unearthed Arcana theme.
    And.... I just noticed that the dragon pendant in the corner has the mini-map frame.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234