Community Member

Default PvP Tournament on Sarlona, this Saturday (June 4, 2016) @ 12pm ET

(Jayneixth from Order of the Rising Phoenix will be hosting a PvP Tournament Saturday June 4 @12pm ET)

In an effort to make the game more fun and exciting for players who have been around for a long time, running the same quests every day for years, I'd like to bring PvP into the game. I think a lot of people realize that there are certain things within Turbine's power that could aim to balance PvP, but I also think that a lot of people have a false perception of PvP as well.

There are countless people who have dragged a friend, a guildy, or even a stranger into a brawling area "for fun", only to get decimated in a matter of seconds by a caster/manyshot/shiradi/FoTW adrenaline toon. The immediate reaction is "f*** this, PvP sucks and this is stupid, I'm never doing this again."

The issue, however, is that the previous scenario is NOT what PvP is. When I say PvP, I mean organized, balanced teams going up against one another, utilizing their strengths and attempting to exploit other teams weaknesses. Two days ago I (lvl 30 TA rogue) dragged a guildy (lvl 30 pure ranger) into a brawling area. 5 seconds after activating his manyshot I was laying on the ground dead. At first I was annoyed and disappointed. However, a couple other people joined my LFM and we ended up running a 3v3 PvP deathmatch in The Stash map.

What happened next was awesome. My guildy (the ranger) killed me twice, and then I realized something. He can't hit me if he doesn't have line of sight. So I started moving around the map strategically, looking for him specifically and making sure to always keep a pillar, a staircase, or a wall in between us. He soon realized that if he wanted to kill me, he would have to risk running up to me, putting himself in melee range, which he did. Now it was my turn. I activated adrenaline, hit him with a cleave, knocked him on his ass, and pummeled him to death.

He then had to adapt his strategy and include his teammates. One of the guys on his team (a paladin), ran up to me, and while focusing him, Mr. Ranger put himself in position, activated manyshot, and started firing away. But I saw it coming, and told my teammate to hide himself and wait. I activated Meld to Darkness AND Improved Uncanny Dodge, and before he could kill me, my teammate (a sorcerer) laid into him and killed him.

My point here is that yes, certain Destinies and classes are capable of eradicating players in PvP. But the way I see it, the balance doesn't have to come from Turbine. Instead, the balance can come from us (the player base), from balancing teams properly, and (perhaps) from creating a small list of PvP rules. I haven't played enough PvP to know what things (if any) I believe are absolutely necessary, but that's something I intend to figure out.

So, this Saturday, I will be hosting a PvP tournament. I'll be spreading the word on Sarlona this week while I attempt to figure out the rules, but currently the plan is to do 4v4 matches in an Upper/Lower tournament bracket.

Of special note: there WILL be PRIZES!!!! More details soon

Update: A sneak peek at some of the prizes currently being offered, as well as a description of how the prizes will be distributed, can be found here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/475821
    Last edited by Magixxxx; 05-31-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Magixxxx View Post
    (Order of the Rising Phoenix will be hosting a PvP Tournament Saturday June 4 @12pm ET)

In an effort to make the game more fun and exciting for players who have been around for a long time, running the same quests every day for years, I'd like to bring PvP into the game. I think a lot of people realize that there are certain things within Turbine's power that could aim to balance PvP, but I also think that a lot of people have a false perception of PvP as well.

There are countless people who have dragged a friend, a guildy, or even a stranger into a brawling area "for fun", only to get decimated in a matter of seconds by a caster/manyshot/shiradi/FoTW adrenaline toon. The immediate reaction is "f*** this, PvP sucks and this is stupid, I'm never doing this again."

The issue, however, is that the previous scenario is NOT what PvP is. When I say PvP, I mean organized, balanced teams going up against one another, utilizing their strengths and attempting to exploit other teams weaknesses. Two days ago I (lvl 30 TA rogue) dragged a guildy (lvl 30 pure ranger) into a brawling area. 5 seconds after activating his manyshot I was laying on the ground dead. At first I was annoyed and disappointed. However, a couple other people joined my LFM and we ended up running a 3v3 PvP deathmatch in The Stash map.

What happened next was awesome. My guildy (the ranger) killed me twice, and then I realized something. He can't hit me if he doesn't have line of sight. So I started moving around the map strategically, looking for him specifically and making sure to always keep a pillar, a staircase, or a wall in between us. He soon realized that if he wanted to kill me, he would have to risk running up to me, putting himself in melee range, which he did. Now it was my turn. I activated adrenaline, hit him with a cleave, knocked him on his ass, and pummeled him to death.

He then had to adapt his strategy and include his teammates. One of the guys on his team (a paladin), ran up to me, and while focusing him, Mr. Ranger put himself in position, activated manyshot, and started firing away. But I saw it coming, and told my teammate to hide himself and wait. I activated Meld to Darkness AND Improved Uncanny Dodge, and before he could kill me, my teammate (a sorcerer) laid into him and killed him.

My point here is that yes, certain Destinies and classes are capable of eradicating players in PvP. But the way I see it, the balance doesn't have to come from Turbine. Instead, the balance can come from us (the player base), from balancing teams properly, and (perhaps) from creating a small list of PvP rules. I haven't played enough PvP to know what things (if any) I believe are absolutely necessary, but that's something I intend to figure out.

So, this Saturday, Order of the Rising Phoenix will be hosting a PvP tournament. I'll be spreading the word on Sarlona this week while I attempt to figure out the rules, but currently the plan is to do 4v4 matches in an Upper/Lower tournament bracket.

Of special note: there WILL be PRIZES!!!! More details soon
    Cool! Best of luck with the tournament. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Thanks Cordovan!

Tournament will be upper bracket/lower bracket, with all teams starting in the upper bracket. The first tier of the lower bracket will be populated by the losers of the first tier of the upper bracket. The second tier of the lower bracket will consist of matches populated by one team that advanced from Tier 1 lower bracket and a team that lost a tier 2 upper bracket. If that confuses you, don't worry about it, the bracket will be my job to handle. The important thing to note is that this means every team (except one) will get a second chance if they lose a match.

No signups will be required. I'll have volunteers helping me, who will post LFMs when the tournament starts. If you have a team of 4 ready, one person from your team will send a tell to the LFM leader with the names of your three teammates. The leader will then tell you to "smack that", after which the members of your team will smack the LFM and you'll be assigned to the proper team and told where you need to go in the game.

The hope is that this will speed things up, and that the entire tournament will take about 2-3 hours (although that's a bit of a ballpark estimate).

As for prizes, see here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/475821
    Last edited by Magixxxx; 05-31-2016 at 03:51 AM.

Not on Sarlona unfortunately, but I did wanna say that the story at the start made my day, and this is really a cool idea. Best of luck! +1

P.S: Cordovan, go give them goodies to add to the prize pool

-Jayron
    Last edited by LevelJ; 05-30-2016 at 07:30 PM.

2014 DDO Players Council

Papagaio de TR: Special PvP Tournament on Sarlona, this Saturday (June 4, 2016) @ 12pm ET on DDOStream

Used to love PvP on Khyber

Its a gong show in there now !! .... Best of luck on your tourney !!