Default Orien Default Server Welcomefulness Ideas

Hey all, Orien has the default server now! For those who spend a majority of their time on Orien, let's keep this thread for pooling effective ideas on how to welcome new players.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

- A lot of people don't know that we have the default so let people know when you can and keep an eye out for new players around
    - The titan channel is a good way to spread information so communicating there is a good way to get the word out
    - Has anyone seen the "Greetings Traveler" greeter in Harbour recently? Always used to see them by the mailbox or banker.
    - My own guild is not big, real casual, and we usually do our own thing. I did however invite a new player today after questing with them for a while. If everyone aims at reaching out to one new player that catches your attention. Do it in a way that works for you and your guild, new players will appreciate you taking the time!
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

/Titan is as far as I can tell the largest, most populated Open User Channel on any Server.
    I also believe it to be quite a welcoming Open User Channel.

With Orien being the Default I urge everyone in said Channel to advertise it loud and clear IN-GAME to those newbies!
    Let them know about it - Explain how User Channels work!

As for Guilds - Every Server has a couple of Guilds that will happily hoover up newbies - I don't think you need to worry too much about Newbies finding a Guild - It's finding the RIGHT Guild that's the problem and too many newbies fall into the trap of creating their own straight off the bat before they realise the massive amount of work it entails to catch up to those who joined a ready-made Guild.

Guild Level alone isn't what I'm talking about here either but low level Guilds do find it harder than high level Guilds to get decent recruits in numbers. - In fact most DDO Guilds will have less than 20 Active in the Past Month Players!
    Going more into this - Active in DDO does mean in the Past Month and even the biggest Guilds rarely have more than a dozen players on at one time and from my own studies there's no more than half a dozen Guilds of such size per Server.
    Cannith alone has over 500 Active Guilds, Most of which will only very rarely have more than 2-3 players on at once and a lot of the time the Newbie will be alone!

A Small Guild that's attempting to Recruit will lose a lot of those recruits because of natural leakage {most new players will quit within a week anyway!} and will lose more thanks to the "idea" that the Guild is dead when it actually isn't - It's just that no-one is on 24-7!

Newbies to Orien reading this thread and looking for a Guild should realise that the Guild needs them as much as they need it - If you've already joined a small Guild that is recruiting, give it a chance! It takes time to build up, it doesn't happen all in one go!.

P.S. Orien is a Server I rarely play on and I'm definitely not recruiting for any Guild there - That's not what this post is about!
    This post is about expectations vs reality.

Community Member RistoffDervish's Avatar

Default Arcane Alliance is Recruiting on Orien

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    /Titan is as far as I can tell the largest, most populated Open User Channel on any Server.
    I also believe it to be quite a welcoming Open User Channel.

With Orien being the Default I urge everyone in said Channel to advertise it loud and clear IN-GAME to those newbies!
    Let them know about it - Explain how User Channels work!

As for Guilds - Every Server has a couple of Guilds that will happily hoover up newbies - I don't think you need to worry too much about Newbies finding a Guild - It's finding the RIGHT Guild that's the problem and too many newbies fall into the trap of creating their own straight off the bat before they realise the massive amount of work it entails to catch up to those who joined a ready-made Guild.

Guild Level alone isn't what I'm talking about here either but low level Guilds do find it harder than high level Guilds to get decent recruits in numbers. - In fact most DDO Guilds will have less than 20 Active in the Past Month Players!
    Going more into this - Active in DDO does mean in the Past Month and even the biggest Guilds rarely have more than a dozen players on at one time and from my own studies there's no more than half a dozen Guilds of such size per Server.
    Cannith alone has over 500 Active Guilds, Most of which will only very rarely have more than 2-3 players on at once and a lot of the time the Newbie will be alone!

A Small Guild that's attempting to Recruit will lose a lot of those recruits because of natural leakage {most new players will quit within a week anyway!} and will lose more thanks to the "idea" that the Guild is dead when it actually isn't - It's just that no-one is on 24-7!

Newbies to Orien reading this thread and looking for a Guild should realise that the Guild needs them as much as they need it - If you've already joined a small Guild that is recruiting, give it a chance! It takes time to build up, it doesn't happen all in one go!.

P.S. Orien is a Server I rarely play on and I'm definitely not recruiting for any Guild there - That's not what this post is about!
    This post is about expectations vs reality.
    There are a lot of great points here. It took me years to build my guild to the point where people would actually stay. I used to get a few people to join and the next day they would be gone. Now I have like 275 active accounts but there are still only about 10-12 players on at any given time.

If any new players come to Orien, look me up. I am always recruiting.

Ristoff is the leader of the Orien guild Arcane Alliance. Above is our airship "AA Krimson Kraken" with all the buffs and amenities.
    Send mail or a tell to Ristoff in-game and ask for an invitation. All players welcome!

I have seen the "Salutations" greeting toon out quite regularly in harbor, I think I'll put together a special toon to have out in Korthos too. Most people on the Titan chat are aware of the default server change and there are a lot of new people around. Hanging around harbor there were a number of discussions on joining guilds and general advice on guilds and otherwise, keep up the good work all.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.