Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default vulnerability is too short on final strike

What is the point of vulnerability on final strike if you can't even stack it? The cooldown on final strike is like 18 seconds while vulnerability goes away in 3 seconds. Frankly, thematically, "FINAL strike" sounds like it should be ending someone's life not stacking stuff anyway.

ughh. i hate complaining cuz aa getting thrown a bone is appreciated. blah.

Community Manager

The Vulnerability portion of Final Strike works the same as other Vulnerability effects, which is why the duration is as it is.

There's been some folks recently who are interested in learning more about Final Strike, so we'd like to explain this effect a bit more.

Unfortunately, we have discovered a bug with Final Strike post-today's-hotfix in that the initial AOE damage is not accurate. That said, in addition to Vulnerable, the benefit should be:

On-Hit: 2d6+1d6 per Ranger level
    Additionally, if the target is at 50% health: 5d20 damage
    Additionally, if the target is at 25% health: 25d20 damage
    Additionally, if the target is at 10% health: 100d20 damage

This damage does not scale with Ranged Power.

Again, the On-Hit initial damage is not correct in either the Ranger or Elven Final Strike currently.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The Vulnerability portion of Final Strike works the same as other Vulnerability effects, which is why the duration is as it is.

There's been some folks recently who are interested in learning more about Final Strike, so we'd like to explain this effect a bit more.

Unfortunately, we have discovered a bug with Final Strike post-today's-hotfix in that the initial AOE damage is not accurate. That said, in addition to Vulnerable, the benefit should be:

Again, the On-Hit initial damage is not correct in either the Ranger or Elven Final Strike currently.
    As an additional note: each of those damage numbers are independent of one another. Thus creatures with 10% health or less should receive four separate damage effects.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    As an additional note: each of those damage numbers are independent of one another. Thus creatures with 10% health or less should receive four separate damage effects.
    Will the Elven version also be based on Ranger levels for the additional d6's or will it be based on character level? If the former, I would suggest clarifying in the tooltip.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Vorthian View Post
    Will the Elven version also be based on Ranger levels for the additional d6's or will it be based on character level? If the former, I would suggest clarifying in the tooltip.
    Yes, both will be based on Ranger levels.
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Super glad to see you guys posting about this finally thanks very much.

Can we please get all these numbers added to the release notes and to the enhancement trees in game, as well as the tool tips and enhancement listing on the character sheets as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post

Wowser... that ought to hurt..

thanks for the information!

Thank you very much for this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliss7 View Post
    What is the point of vulnerability on final strike if you can't even stack it? The cooldown on final strike is like 18 seconds while vulnerability goes away in 3 seconds. Frankly, thematically, "FINAL strike" sounds like it should be ending someone's life not stacking stuff anyway.
    Vulnerability is a bit extra thrown in to make it helpful against tougher enemies that aren't particularly hurt yet. That said, this ability isn't really intended to stack Vulnerability high by itself, but can help increase or maintain stacks produced in other ways. Vulnerability was always intended to be something multiple party members might contribute to stacking up (though there are other ways to help stack it up by yourself).

As you get at, Final Strike could easily have left Vulnerability off completely, and perhaps been thematically and conceptually stronger, despite making that a weaker ability overall.

Why did you add a T5 ability that has an aspect which makes less useful to a Racial AA over a Ranger Level based AA? And a non-pure at that? Isn't that supposed ot be reserved for core abilities? Isn't that the ENTIRE point of making a distinction between powerful, cheap, level based class core abilities in enhancements and tree abilities at tiers 1-5? Totally confused by this.

Also, it's meant to give AoE power to an AA, but honestly the only reason to take this ability as it stands at all is to:
    a. Pad kill count by taking out weakened mobs with way too much damage (20d100 is average of 1000 damage, not a lot of mobs even have 1000 HP at 10%, let alone the damage from the other tiers and physical damage of the activated attack). Not the same as AoE power.

b. increase DPS on red names but only for the last 1/5th of their HP (making the damage this adds at best 20% of it's stated value).

So basically, if your mob is at 25% health, every 18 seconds (assuming perfect alignment of mobs/timing/damage) you can get an avg of 250 damage? That's an average increase of 13.8 damage, or LESS than one d8 of Elemental Imbues with 350 Spell Power (A no brainer). This ability, used ideally, is worth 1/2 of 1 Tier of Elemental Imbues. Used not ideally, it's far worse.

The damage tiers of this are so granular and the cool-down so long that it's basically useless. This is one of the most poorly designed active attacks in the history of DDO. Its as bad as the old iteration of Merciful Shot. For high HP Red/Purple names it's a lackluster burst every 18 seconds at the very end of a fight, I guess. Put another way, it's about 65dmg per second for 10% of the fight, or 6.5avg damage over the whole fight. It's really really really bad, and probably not worth the AP, in it's current incarnation.

Can it at least multiproc with a Doubleshot arrow for extra iterations?
    Last edited by jakeelala; 03-02-2016 at 04:55 PM.
    good at business

Make it scale with Ranged Power, fix the AoE and you got a nice working ability. Right now, only a fool would take it. Long CD with low, low dmg, AoE bugged to only hit 3 mobs and requires you to take T5.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    Make it scale with Ranged Power, fix the AoE and you got a nice working ability. Right now, only a fool would take it. Long CD with low, low dmg, AoE bugged to only hit 3 mobs and requires you to take T5.
    Up to 130d20+22d6 is low, low damage as an AOE?
    Join us on Twitch!

17s CD (iirc? correct me if im wrong) and that happens when the mob is at 10%, I consider it very weak and so does everyone seem to think.

The problem with these kind of abilities is that when a mob is at 10% HP, it dies way too quickly and most of the damage done by the ability is lost by the frame time that the ability is used and when it actually hits. Consider it like using Finger of Death when a mob is at 10%, you don't really want to do it, it feels like a waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Thumbs down

You don't seem to understand how this ability works, Cordovan.

22d6 is ONLY if you're a pure Ranger, first of all.

Second of all, all of that that damage occurs ONLY every 18s and ONLY if the mob you shoot was at less than 10% HP. You could literally make the damage from this effect be 1000d20 at 10%, and it would still be a horrible ability, because of it's restrictions. Do the math yourself, you will see.

This ability is a 22d6 non-scaling, non-crittable proc only for pure Rangers, inappropriately put into the T5 row instead of the Core abilities where it belongs (although it belongs in the Bin of bad ideas to be abandoned in reality). 10%-25% of the time if you're VERY precise at reading numberless health-bars it can do a burst attack on a mob you're already about to kill.

Thumbs Downx100
    good at business

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post

Thumbs Downx100
    Agree. Fix the AoE.
    Change the %'s it procs from (75/50/25 would be ok, 100/75/50 would be better)
    BUT, Make Sure the Elf AA gets the Damage Bonus from Elf Levels - we've had to invest a lot of points already - not just Ranger from Levels.

If not, useless.
    Eriar Tahlaer AA/Healer ShiC Drd/Rng/Ftr 17/2/1 - Cryme Otta TR B-Eng Arti 11 - Larue K'Dhar SDII Ftr/Pal 16/2
    Koroz PMII Wiz/Rog/Ftr 12/2/1 - Feevin Otta Rog 4

Found in Sai Gon (Orien)

On a pure or mostly pure ranger it may be useful from level 12 to 19. Once into the epic levels it scales badly though and for non-ranger elves its just plain bad.

Placing so much of the damage below 10 percent however leads to overkill and much of it being wasted in particular at lower levels so it surely looks better on paper where you may easily overlook that fact.

I agree with other posters. Make it scale with ranged power, levels rather than only ranger levels, change to 75/50/25 and hit all targets in range rather than just 3. Then it might be useful on some AA builds though far from all.
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post

Second of all, all of that that damage occurs ONLY every 18s and ONLY if the mob you shoot was at less than 10% HP. You could literally make the damage from this effect be 1000d20 at 10%, and it would still be a horrible ability, because of it's restrictions. Do the math yourself, you will see.

This ability is a 22d6 non-scaling, non-crittable proc only for pure Rangers, inappropriately put into the T5 row instead of the Core abilities where it belongs (although it belongs in the Bin of bad ideas to be abandoned in reality). 10%-25% of the time if you're VERY precise at reading numberless health-bars it can do a burst attack on a mob you're already about to kill.

Thumbs Downx100

I'm fine with it now that we know how it actually works, it's a unexpected freebie that was un-looked for. Now that he secrecy surrounding it has been dealt with (hopefully never to return) I can see spending the points if you felt like it. Not every ability has to be a huge DPS intsta-kill, they just need to be clearly defined and transparent so players can make a educated decision on whether to spend the points or not. Your input and view are a perfect example, the way you evaluate the returns on investment of points and committing to AA Tier V final strike is not worth it, for others it might be, without those numbers no one could have made a educated decision. Additionally, now that some of the numbers are out there players can keep an eye out to spot any bugs in the new ability and make sure it's doing what the designers had envisioned.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedar View Post
    I'm fine with it now that we know how it actually works, it's a unexpected freebie that was un-looked for.
    Personally, I'm still waiting on part 2 of the AA pass, and hope it includes a decrease in AP cost to open up Elven AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorthian View Post
    Personally, I'm still waiting on part 2 of the AA pass, and hope it includes a decrease in AP cost to open up Elven AA.
    It would be good to know if the Developers consider this single addition to be part two of the AA pass or if thats still pending. I hope its the latter.
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

20. 03-03-2016, 02:56 AM

Community Member

I agree with most posters this is bad. I mean the number itself seems very nice but in reality its sooo bad.

1.) the +22d6 part is only for pure ranger and on 18 sec CD. thats avg. 77 dmg every 18 sec (or 4.28 DPS button IF it doesnt break your attack sequence. IF it breks attack sequence you probably loose DPS) and thats pretty weak for T5 on pure character.

2.) The XXXd20 is only on 10% HP mob (a dead one basically). I put XXX intentionally because the XXX for 10% mob could be also 999 and thigs would stay the same only making slightly more lags because of those 999 dice rolling. Basically this big numer means you KILL a mob under 10% with this ability and if you made it instakill on 10%HP mob then its the same effect (without the lag portion).
    Problem is instakill ability on 10% mob is bad design. (And even worse for T5 ability). Nobody wants to finger 10% mob. Nobody wants to coup de grace 10% mob. Nobody even wants to energyburst 10% mob.
    Sure if you had passive ability that autokill 10% mobs life would be easier. But nobody really wants ability thak kills 10% mob AND is on 18 sec CD in T5 tier.

3.) The vulnerability part is only joke. I get vulnerability part on some other strikes. But we just discovered this ability is pretty mutch only "worth" on 10%HP mobs whitch it INSTANLY KILLS anyway. I this the vulnerability part is just another sign of SOMETHING was overlooked in design of this ability.

Summary.
    You can use it to add 1 stac of vulnerability every 18 sec. -> pretty lame for T5
    You can use it to instakill 10%HP mob every 18 sec. -> pretty lame for T5
    You can use it on pure ranger as "fireball-like" (not scalling with spellpower) AoE every 18 sec. -> pretty lame for T5 on pure class

My suggestions:
    * Make it instakill on targets paralyzed by AA arrows (i know swashbucker already has this. But this is less problem than current ability)
    * Make the "injured" scalling better then 50%-nothing 25%-almost nothing 10%-lag+kill. Maybe 75%, 50%, 25% ? Or even 99% 75% 50%. Because T5 that (nearly) kills 50%HP mob every 18sec isnt OP but starts to be interesting.
    * You can even get rid of the ranger level d6 part for simplicity. Believe me thers no pure ranger that will be excited about 20d6 bonus on 18sec ability that deals 130d20 base damage anyway. ( I men just compare avg damage of pure 20 lvl vs 12 lvl ranger 1442 vs 1414 difference of < 2% on 18 sec CD for staying pure .. hurray )
    Last edited by rehakp; 03-03-2016 at 03:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast