Default Couple Questions

Hi Forumites. I have two questions that I'd love to get some answers too, search really isn't providing me with too many answers so thought I'd give this a shot.

First.
    +5 Thieve's Tools. I have now leveled up my rogue from 1 to 10. During that time I have only ever looted +3 Tools from some mysterious place, thinking it might have been a challenge supply box though. I know the Free Agents vendor sells +4 tools, but that's not my question here. Do these still drop (Chest-wise or End Reward)? I have set my end rewards to both "Based on Class" and off, with no luck on any types of tools, even masterwork. While I am happy they now stack to save inventory space, I really don't feel like paying this price for +5's. Mainly because I am broke. Should I bug report this?

Secondly, how do I fix my forums? It's disturbing. Everything is weird, off-place, and notices are gray with a gray background making them only readable when highlighting with the mouse. Dev Tracker, search, and 'last posts by user' are the same. Is this a Chrome issue?

[Tyrs Paladium]
    Pewf, Bank Toons

I cannot answer the forum question, but as to the thieves' tools they drop similar to weapons and armor in terms of the +. That is - at specific levels (and I do not know for certain which) you gradually start picking up a higher + of tools. I think I started picking up +5 at level 16 or 17, and epics drop nothing but +5 when they drop at all.

P.S. I don't think I've ever seen tools on an end reward list, I believe they are a random chest drop only. You can also Cannith Craft +5 tools with mechanical trap parts.
    Last edited by Aelonwy; 04-08-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: the P.S.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Can't answer the tools question but try this forum link instead.

forums.ddo.com

Why buy thieves tools when you can get healers kits for 11 plat?

What a bargain!

you can also make +5 tools in house c

take a +5 weapon with some Mech trap parts and you have shiny new tools

Community Manager

On the forum issue: Try clearing your browser's cookie cache.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    On the forum issue: Try clearing your browser's cookie cache.
    Thank you, I love you. Everything is finally normal again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    I cannot answer the forum question, but as to the thieves' tools they drop similar to weapons and armor in terms of the +. That is - at specific levels (and I do not know for certain which) you gradually start picking up a higher + of tools. I think I started picking up +5 at level 16 or 17, and epics drop nothing but +5 when they drop at all.

P.S. I don't think I've ever seen tools on an end reward list, I believe they are a random chest drop only. You can also Cannith Craft +5 tools with mechanical trap parts.
    Oh okay, so they are dropping? Good to know, guess I am just unlucky in terms of actually pooling any at this low of a level. Thank you for the info on Cannith, I will have to give that a shot. I had no idea you could do that as I haven't looked into crafting at all.
    [Tyrs Paladium]
    Pewf, Bank Toons

Quote Originally Posted by pewf
    Oh okay, so they are dropping? Good to know, guess I am just unlucky in terms of actually pooling any at this low of a level.
    They definitely drop. I'm not sure at what level the +5 tools drop but I usually collect enough to not have to buy/craft any; sometimes have enough to unload on the AH. The price skyrocketed when the increased inventory storage from 50 to 1000 last year. I thought it would be temporary until everyone filled their backpacks but the price has held up. But then Platinum has lost a lot of it's inherent value also.

Crafting at a Device Workstation is a pretty cheap way to get them, if you have the +5 weapons to use.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum View Post
    Why buy thieves tools when you can get healers kits for 11 plat?

What a bargain!
    +1 Hilarious!

Yeah the tools do drop. You may find them in your level (10) if you run elite quests.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

I was going to mail you some +5 thieves tools,

but if someone that is level 113 has not found them before, I suspect something funny is going on and I am not part of the joke.

character: PEWF
    server: Ghallanda
    guild: Tyrs Paladium

Guild Leader on Forums: Leslie_west_guitar_god

Not mailing any tools.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

I can confirm that +5 tools do drop in random chests, although you may need to be a few levels higher depending on the level of the chest.

I also regularly sell them on the AH for as much as 45K/50 (there was a time you could only buy them on the ASAH on Argo) as I have plenty of +4 tools.

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post

but if someone that is level 113 has not found them before, I suspect something funny is going on and I am not part of the joke.

Not mailing any tools.
    I don't understand this post - why can someone with multiple past lives who's never needed to notice thieves tools before not have a question if they don't feel they've been seeing them often enough now they do need to notice them? With all the recent changes to loot and so on, its not inconceivable at all that "item X" might not be dropping properly right now.

Anyway - OP, they are dropping I suspect you're just getting unlucky. As others have said, the crafting station is your friend if you really need them.

Also, they're available on the AH. Since they started stacking to 1000 or whatever it is now, the prices have gone right up though - I still put them on @ 1000 plat per 50 because what people seem to be charging right now is just outrageous, but I'm not on Ghallanda so I can't help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post

Not mailing any tools.
    Hi.

I was not asking for handouts, so I'm not sure what this post has to do with anything.

I have been away from the game for 3 years, and just returned early February this year. My question was a simple, "Why am I not looting ANY tools from ANY chests from 1 to 10." IIRC tools used to drop everywhere, even masterwork could be found at low levels. As other forum posters said I am just unlucky and they are indeed dropping. I remember when 50 +5 tools were around 5k plat on the AH.

So, thank you for posting. But after everyone else who actually contributed some useful information, I crafted 500 tools for way cheaper than I can get on the Auction House on G-Land.

Also, thank you to all the Ghallandians who has mailed me some spare +5 tools before I found out about Cannith Crafting. Although I did not ask for handouts, I do appreciate it.

Please close this thread, however you do it. My forums are fixed, and I have a reliable way to get tools now.
    Thanks.
    [Tyrs Paladium]
    Pewf, Bank Toons

2017 DDO Players Council Starla70's Avatar

I make my +5's at a workshop.
    Argonnessen main server/Kachinna, Dannu, KKenzi, Shanahann, Kaystrra, Fnorr, and Kyliestar toons

Your Dice really do hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewf View Post
    Hi.

I was not asking for handouts, so I'm not sure what this post has to do with anything.

I have been away from the game for 3 years, and just returned early February this year. My question was a simple, "Why am I not looting ANY tools from ANY chests from 1 to 10." IIRC tools used to drop everywhere, even masterwork could be found at low levels. As other forum posters said I am just unlucky and they are indeed dropping. I remember when 50 +5 tools were around 5k plat on the AH.

So, thank you for posting. But after everyone else who actually contributed some useful information, I crafted 500 tools for way cheaper than I can get on the Auction House on G-Land.

Also, thank you to all the Ghallandians who has mailed me some spare +5 tools before I found out about Cannith Crafting. Although I did not ask for handouts, I do appreciate it.

Please close this thread, however you do it. My forums are fixed, and I have a reliable way to get tools now.
    Thanks.
    just a quick note--the advice to make the tools in Cannith (with a +5 weapon) is not for you to go in the Cannith Crafting area like the one in House Kundarak. It is at the device workstation tucked down the stairs, nearly hidden, near the Lava Caves challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    just a quick note--the advice to make the tools in Cannith (with a +5 weapon) is not for you to go in the Cannith Crafting area like the one in House Kundarak. It is at the device workstation tucked down the stairs, nearly hidden, near the Lava Caves challenges.
    Yeah it took me about 20 minutes in House K messing with all the crafting devices before I decided to look in House C and found the workstation thing.

Thank you!
    [Tyrs Paladium]
    Pewf, Bank Toons