Community Member

Lightbulb Gear that levels with you

I think it would be pretty cool to have some sort of gear that levels with you. Have the gear be some what hard to get but not to hard, maybe have the players run a new raid to get the gear. Have all kinds of weapons and armor that players could get. Have to armor have stats that go with each class. Feel free to put your opinion and thoughts the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurjaak View Post
    I think it would be pretty cool to have some sort of gear that levels with you. Have the gear be some what hard to get but not to hard, maybe have the players run a new raid to get the gear. Have all kinds of weapons and armor that players could get. Have to armor have stats that go with each class. Feel free to put your opinion and thoughts the subject.
    It would have to be ridiculously hard to get though.. if it was best in slot for said level. Or maybe it could be just ok gear and not too hard to get.

:/
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsbet View Post
    Moved his sense of humor to a new data center, eh?

2015 DDO Players Council Nuclear_Elvis's Avatar

To a point, you can already do this. You can Cannith Craft an item with only a special damage property, keeping its wield level the lowest possible. Later, you can craft on a +1, or +2 (or higher) enhancement shard, which raises the damage and wield level. While the current Cannith Crafting system is limiting, I would love to see a thorough crafting update so that you could tinker with your gear to do what you are asking for - but at a cost of materials, and at risk of failing to upgrade the item (must have crafting skill to do it), etc.
    Kyll - Guild leader of Your Part Time Guild on Wayfinder server.
    -- Your Part Time Guild has over 750+ Guild Members!

Community Member

Smile

True you could make the gear hard to get, that way it would be great gear

No. This reminds me of heirlooms and the gap they produced in the WoW gameplay and community, that actually was the main reason for me to leave that game.

I have nothing against items that can be leveled separately like some in Lotro already do or like ED's currently work in DDO, but items that grow in strength along with character level and probably could also be TR'ed and ER'ed too? - "I was a dagger in my past life, so now as a two handed club I also do 1pt piercing damage" - NEVER.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Elvis View Post
    To a point, you can already do this. You can Cannith Craft an item with only a special damage property, keeping its wield level the lowest possible. Later, you can craft on a +1, or +2 (or higher) enhancement shard, which raises the damage and wield level. While the current Cannith Crafting system is limiting, I would love to see a thorough crafting update so that you could tinker with your gear to do what you are asking for - but at a cost of materials, and at risk of failing to upgrade the item (must have crafting skill to do it), etc.
    That is also a good idea have it were you craft the gear, and as you level up you gather the materials you would need to upgrade it. If you do a crafting type scenario then have it bee 100% customizable and where the level doesn't go up weird. But having the players run a raid to get the gear for their characters, then having them upgrade it using some sort of crafting and materials could be an idea as well.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Ugh no thanks doesnt feel d&d to me

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member

I'm not aiming at heirlooms here I was aiming for gear that grows in strength as you level and even when you TR. Yes there is multiple ways you could go about getting this type of gear and I'm fine with either getting it from a quest, raid etc. or crafting it. But if you have to craft it make the crafting worth while and not limited. It could even be a drop from some sort of public encounter. Me personally I don't want this to end up like the heirlooms in WoW because I didn't like the way they went about doing that.

Community Member

If they're weaker than the named items I already have(soon to be loot gen ) I wont bother, if they're stronger I will never have to item farm again and just do the best xp/min stuff never opening chests.

For a one off item or two it could be alright and I could get behind a con belt or whatever that scales from +1 at level 1 to +14 at cap.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ayseifn View Post
    If they're weaker than the named items I already have(soon to be loot gen ) I wont bother, if they're stronger I will never have to item farm again and just do the best xp/min stuff never opening chests.

For a one off item or two it could be alright and I could get behind a con belt or whatever that scales from +1 at level 1 to +14 at cap.
    Yes it doen't have to be a full set of armor, it could just be a few items. and like you said it could scale from +1 at level 1 to +14 at cap. So a rogue could have a pair of googles with +1 search at level 1 at as they level up the googles stats increase so he has the right level stat he need for that level.

Default This is not WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Gurjaak View Post
    I would rather leave the idea of WoW Antique Attic Heirlooms out of DDO and work hard each and every life for the gear we want and the end character we want to become. That is [The work of farming], and is beginning to be the was now of days, the mystery and enjoyment of DDO. I don't feel it is a good idea at all. We have Green Steal, LGS, ToEE and TF Gear for enjoyment, and ridiculous loot gen now.

Community Member

Not that it will ever happen in DDO because the game engine is mature at this point but gear that is dependent on the character instead of the character being dependent on the gear is the way to go for real immersion.