Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Randomized Loot

World Designer

Default Randomized Loot

We are excited to give you our first Lamannia look at changes to randomized loot. We’ve done a ton of work on this already, and expect further work to be done for Update 29 and beyond. Here’s a basic idea of what’s happening:

Scaling Effects

Effects will now scale behind-the-scenes. This means that instead of seeing Dazing II or Dazing IV on an item, you’ll just see Dazing. However, the amount of the bonus will change as the item scales up, and the descriptions will accurately reflect the benefit. This allows us to build new items (and higher-level items) more quickly, and helps us better maintain our list of effects.

Prefixes and Suffixes

Currently on the Live servers, random loot has a Prefix, a Suffix, and an Enhancement bonus, and the overall power of the item is divided between the three effects.

Going forward, Prefixes, Suffixes, and Enhancement bonuses will be independent of one another, meaning you can get multiple very good effects on a given item. Additionally, there is a chance for an additional effect to go along with the Prefix and Suffix, which is also independent. Giving the possibility of 3 effects on the item all of which determine their own level independently.

Insightful Effects

Most effects now come in three bonuses:
    · Main (typically Enhancement or Equipment bonuses)
    · Insight (half the value of the main bonus type)
    · Quality (only on named items; half the value of Insight bonuses)

Some items can now drop with both the Main and Insightful version of an effect on the same item, so you could end up with Strength +14 and Insightful Strength +7 on the same item.

Slots

Currently, there are four categories where we slot various effects: Weapons, Armor, Physical Accessory Effects, and Mental Accessory Effects. We plan to switch over to a list of effects that can show up on each slot, and different slots can overlap with one another. We expect that the exact placement of “which slot can have what” will require more polish, and will likely be tweaked over time.

Minimum Level

Currently on the Live servers, the Minimum Level of an item is determined “on the fly” by its Enhancement value and other effects. Starting in Update 29, the Minimum Level of the items you see in chests will be based on the level of the dungeon itself – so a level 10 dungeon on normal would drop Minimum Level 10 random loot, and level 12 loot on Elite. Behind the scenes how these minimum levels work is different (improved) so please let us know if you see anything odd on Lamannia.

Extra Lucky Loot

You can now get extra power on an item! In addition to the normal range of effect power an item can have, there will be the rare chance of the item getting even more power beyond its normal range for that minimum level.

Where does all this sit as of right now on Lamannia:

Our random loot update is still in progress. So far we’ve mostly created all of the scaling effects, and made both scaling and the effects themselves work. Now we’re at the point of adding the effects to various slots. In this preview, weapons, shields, and armor should be showing up with the new effects. Accessories are being worked on, and are in a mixed state for this preview.

There will be bugs. Polish will be needed. You’ll probably run into some issues. Please let us know about them. We also want to have feedback and discussion on what effects should show up where. Please remember that this system is still being worked on; in other words - Don’t Panic! We expect many iterations and tweaks to happen. There are also likely effects that are completely missing, and will need to be added back into random loot. Please help us find them!

Current Known Issues:

Striding/Speed effects don’t have a cap like they should.
    Some Insight bonuses can show up at levels below where they should, causing a +0 bonus.
    There are likely some effect/description errors.
    Effect restrictions aren't implemented yet. This means unfortunate situations like assassination on ranged weapons can happen.

2. 12-03-2015, 04:55 PM

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
    Most effects now come in three bonuses:
    · Main (typically Enhancement or Equipment bonuses)
    · Insight (half the value of the main bonus type)
    · Quality (only on named items; half the value of Insight bonuses)

Some items can now drop with both the Main and Insightful version of an effect on the same item, so you could end up with Strength +14 and Insightful Strength +7 on the same item.
    +7 insightful strength? That's a huge leap from what's currently available, and basically invalidates all named items that are specifically decent because of their stats. With level 30 you'd expect some jump, but from +4 to +7 for main stats? Seems very power-creepy to me (and this isn't something I'm that worried about usually...).

Will we see the return of some of the rarer, 'cool' effects like 'of the Sun's Fury' or 'Meteoric' or 'Tempestuous' or 'of the Crusader'?

Will these scale, and be BtCoE?

Some of the post-MotU, pre-Ghostbaning affixes were really interesting.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

I like!

Please also include additional bonuses for jewel of fortunes, treasure maps, dragonmark of finding, loot boost weekend etc.

Also - kindly explain what these bonuses and how these bonuses will apply.

As well as how will ransack affect the loot?

Also - augment slots - how do they factor into the new system?

Is there a one in a trillion chance that can get a stat + insightful stat + random special bonus + two slots?

Thank you in advance!

Community Member stoopid_cowboy's Avatar

Now the age old question, are some of the "old" effects coming back? I remember seeing some holy burst, silver metal, of 1,000 suns weapons that dropped after MotU launched. Things like that made the MotU random system awesome!

What about armors? Every single stinking random loot armor that drops now has an element absorb, axe/spear/hammer block, and some other lame stat. Are you making armors actually appealing?

Ghostbane.... If you leave Ghostbane in the loot tables, please code it as an uber random effect drop. We all have sooooo much ghost bane we could just vomit!
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I guess pants can be optional

Default Yes!

This is exciting. Re-downloading Lammania now on new computer, then I cannot wait to check out the new effects. Been waiting for this a very long time!!

I do have a couple of questions.
    1. If I am running a level 12 quest (for example), will chests still drop loot with lower a lower ML (perhaps like 9 through 12), or will the chests now strictly drop ML12 loot?
    2. Also, how does this affect things such as chest ransack, lootgems and loot bonuses? Most everyone at very least is always running with the guild ship bonus, so does this mean most of the loot which drops now will be above our current level?
    Leader of the Crusaders of Heaven, Khyber
    Guild is currently Level 140 - We are always openly recruiting.
    PM: Josetta / Sarahanne
    "This is why we can't have nice things."

World Designer

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Will we see the return of some of the rarer, 'cool' effects like 'of the Sun's Fury' or 'Meteoric' or 'Tempestuous' or 'of the Crusader'?

Will these scale, and be BtCoE?

Some of the post-MotU, pre-Ghostbaning affixes were really interesting.
    Certainly open to the option. List as many as you can think of and we can look into it.

Striding/Speed effects don’t have a cap like they should.
    I hope this gets deemed a feature and left as in.

Community Member

Certainly open to the option. List as many as you can think of and we can look into it.
    Maybe all the ones here:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Composed_weapon_affixes

How do augment slots on random loot get effected by these changes?

Default Item Effects

Glowing Prisms / Healing Amplification / Trap the Soul Guard..... just a few I'd love to see again.

Also, any plans on returning lootgen items with clickies?
    Leader of the Crusaders of Heaven, Khyber
    Guild is currently Level 140 - We are always openly recruiting.
    PM: Josetta / Sarahanne
    "This is why we can't have nice things."

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    ninja'd !
    G-land, Balistas Magicas, Bashukar Bloodaxe, Kobur Curse of Dragon, Necromatix

Yes, THESE!!!
    Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.

Effect restrictions aren't implemented yet. This means unfortunate situations like assassination on ranged weapons can happen.
    Why is that a bad thing? As I recall, shadowdancer has a ranged assassinate ability called Executioner's shot. Granted, you don't want to see this on a ranged weapon before lvl 20.

Anyway, regarding the other stuff in here, I'm looking forward to seeing what's available. My only feedback at this point is that I'd really like to see rare or moderate chances for Spell Power/Lore effects to show up on Accessories like bracers. That would make my day, as it opens more customization options I'd love to have.

-Jayron

World Designer

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    I like!

Please also include additional bonuses for jewel of fortunes, treasure maps, dragonmark of finding, loot boost weekend etc.

Also - kindly explain what these bonuses and how these bonuses will apply.

As well as how will ransack affect the loot?

Also - augment slots - how do they factor into the new system?

Is there a one in a trillion chance that can get a stat + insightful stat + random special bonus + two slots?

Thank you in advance!
    Existing loot boots will work as they have in the past by rolling on a higher treasure table.

Ransack will continue to work as it has before.

Augment slots can still drop on items as they did before.

Quote Originally Posted by xaul17 View Post
    This is exciting. Re-downloading Lammania now on new computer, then I cannot wait to check out the new effects. Been waiting for this a very long time!!

I do have a couple of questions.
    1. If I am running a level 12 quest (for example), will chests still drop loot with lower a lower ML (perhaps like 9 through 12), or will the chests now strictly drop ML12 loot?
    2. Also, how does this affect things such as chest ransack, lootgems and loot bonuses? Most everyone at very least is always running with the guild ship bonus, so does this mean most of the loot which drops now will be above our current level?

Items will drop at the level of the quest, but items should also typically be a bit more powerful than what drops now.

Yes these please.

The old short lived gear enhancements can also be found at the bottom of this page http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_14_named_items these include the armor ones
    G-land, Balistas Magicas, Bashukar Bloodaxe, Kobur Curse of Dragon, Necromatix

Where does all this sit as of right now on Lamannia:

Our random loot update is still in progress. So far we’ve mostly created all of the scaling effects, and made both scaling and the effects themselves work. Now we’re at the point of adding the effects to various slots. In this preview, weapons, shields, and armor should be showing up with the new effects. Accessories are being worked on, and are in a mixed state for this preview.

There will be bugs. Polish will be needed. You’ll probably run into some issues. Please let us know about them. We also want to have feedback and discussion on what effects should show up where. Please remember that this system is still being worked on; in other words - Don’t Panic! We expect many iterations and tweaks to happen. There are also likely effects that are completely missing, and will need to be added back into random loot. Please help us find them!.
    And, of course, all of this begs the question: When will Lamannia open back up so we can help you find any and all issues with this great new loot system.
    Sarlona Server - Augon, Vitrin, Allaric, Taheghi, Dhakenshaup, Diviciacus, Loukus, Mehujael, Phreddd, Talaun, Zhugeliangg

Officer of The Wulfepack - "If you call one wolf, you invite the Pack"
    Visit http://thewulfepack.shivtr.com/

The mistakes of a fighter are the scars on his face.
    The mistakes of a rogue are still locked in their place.
    The mistakes of a mage were destroyed with a boom.
    And the mistakes of a Cleric are lying in a tomb.

Items will drop at the level of the quest, but items should also typically be a bit more powerful than what drops now.
    So in what level chests do +6 Stat items (Enhancement, e.g Ogre Power +6 Gauntlets) Drop in?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast