Default Is Ravenloft Coming To 5E?

(In case you did not know, DDO Players covers Dungeon And Dragons Tabletop and Tabletop Gaming)

Christopher Perkins had something interesting to say about the upcoming story line for DnD 5E. Could this mean Ravenloft is coming to 5E? And Drac hopes to DDO?
    "Denn Die Toten Reiten Schnell"
    "For The Dead Travel Fast"

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Ravenloft, darksun and dragonlance have no place in ddo what makes them special doesn't fit with ddo

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Ravenloft, darksun and dragonlance have no place in ddo what makes them special doesn't fit with ddo
    What make Ravenloft special??... The Vampires?...

We have the Letany of the Dead.. the U23 Mark of the Death.. Karrnath in Eberron...

IMAO Ravenloft fit pretty well in DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by amylee4000 View Post

We have the Letany of the Dead.. the U23 Mark of the Death.. Karrnath in Eberron...

Once the mists take you that's it - You're stuck in Ravenloft!

No coming back to Eberron or Eveningstar!

No ships, No travelling the outer planes!

Ravenloft is a special setting for a PnP Group that wants to play in that setting with Characters created for that setting!
    The ONLY way it will work with DDO is if it has it's own Server and we can choose to run a quest on our main server that sets up a one way Server Transfer to the Ravenloft Server {Yeah let people start new characters on the Ravenloft Server too but on the proviso that that character is stuck there forever!}.

Actually I get the feeling that Server would see a lot of traffic {a lot more than Wayfinder that's for sure!}.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Dragonlance I think fits better with the atmosphere of Eberron than the Realms do in my opinion. Not saying I dislike the content in the Realms...on the contrary it is very well designed.

I will have to say though Most of the End Game content takes place there, and that should not be. Unless of course... the whole idea is to venture further and further out into other worlds, in which case all those campaign settings and more should be looked into.

I'm still holding out for Gamma World

2017 DDO Players Council Starla70's Avatar

I really like the Dragonlance idea. It will have to have kenders!
    Argonnessen main server/Kachinna, Dannu, KKenzi, Shanahann, Kaystrra, Fnorr, and Kyliestar toons

Your Dice really do hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Starla70 View Post
    I really like the Dragonlance idea. It will have to have kenders!
    We already have Kender in DDO!

DDO Halflings are Kender in all but name!

The three D&D Halfling Sub-Races are:
    Hairfoot - Hobbits!
    Stout - Slightly smaller and rounder than Hairfoot these Halflings live around Dwarves and are quite Dwarven in outlook {Otherwise exactly the same as Hairfoot}.
    Tallfellow - The tallest Halflings, these little guys live in the forests around Sylvan Elves and are quite Elven in outlook {Otherwise exactly the same as Hairfoot}.

Then you've got the World specific Halflings:
    Kender - Dragonlance - Almost as tall as Tallfellows but very different in outlook - DDO Halflings are Kender!
    Athasian Halflings - Savage Hunters and Cannibals, The original rulers of Athas they don't even remember that time anymore {probably glad they don't too considering.}.
    Furchin - Polar Halflings from an unknown World - These are more like Stouts than any other Halfling Sub-Race and of course are perfectly adapted for their surroundings.

Then you've got the Halflings of the Talenta Plains - Who seem to be a mix of Kender and Athasian Halflings.

I could see the module Ravenloft, the adventure that inspired the setting written by Tracy and Laura Hickman, making it's way to DDO as a Hall of Heroes-portal quest in the same way as ToEE. Don't formalize it as a setting-destination ala FR or Eberron... but as a one-off kind of quest/chain it would be at least palatable.

Both Krynn (Dragonlance) or Athas (Dark Sun) have very different approaches to magic and mages to mesh well with DDO's established mechanics, and would require a lot of ham-fisted tweaking to make either setting work. To the detriment of both those worlds and DDO itself, imho.

I'm neutral on Ravenloft becoming 5E material or not. I tend to homebrew my campaign settings for a variety of reasons.
    Last edited by Memnir; 01-18-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

It would fit well BECAUSE of one of the unique details...the mists. Doesn't need to be an entire campaign like the module is, or require special conditions for the character having to stay there etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by amylee4000 View Post

You obviously know nothing about Ravenloft

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    It would fit well BECAUSE of one of the unique details...the mists. Doesn't need to be an entire campaign like the module is, or require special conditions for the character having to stay there etc.
    Then it wouldn't be Ravenloft and it would be pointless to do. Same for Dragonlance or darksun

Beware the Sleepeater