Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Api

Default API - what would like to see in one if a new API was possible?

what would you like to see if we had a new API? Or worded otherwise:

Offline inventory
    Offline character lookup
    LFM mobile app
    Offline Guild lookup
    Offline character export
    Offline Guild Management

This comes from a recent interview with Severlin and Cordorvan. The old MYDDO API is dead - and *probably* won't be coming back, but if they could put some functionality into the game .... what would it be:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post

Offline inventory
    Offline character lookup
    LFM mobile app
    Offline Guild lookup
    Offline character export

This comes from a recent interview with Sev and Cord. The old MYDDO API is dead - and *probably* won't be coming back, but if they could put some functionality into the game .... what would it be.
    Offline Crafting..
    Seriously would make my working hours painless if we have a browser App like the old MyDDO.

(Necro'd b/c of this post: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...70#post5777870)

The dev won't consider this unless they feel there is interest. IF you're interested, let them know!

Once upon a time, there was "My DDO", a link in these forums (a dropdown up in the header, under "Community" iirc) that let you (and others) examine character details from this site, without launching the actual game itself and logging in w/ a character.

Among other things, it allowed:

• Viewing any character you had on any account, on any server
    • Ability to make public (or not!) your characters for others to view
    • Easy forum linking to same (if public)
    • FINDING your characters by name via a Search function (critical for returning players, or any old or large accounts!)

Being able to view/assess/plan your characters outside the game UI was huge, and comparing to other builds/equips (who wanted to be public) was a great learning tool. Or, if you saw something interesting on a character (and remembered their name, AND they were marked for public view), you could look them up and see what they were wearing/wielding. (Any character(s) could be kept private, natch, if their owner preferred.)

+1 to bring back, yes please!

Offline inventory
    Offline character lookup
    LFM mobile app
    Offline Guild lookup
    Offline character export
    Offline Guild Managment
    Of the rest, offline inventory (inc. sacks, bank and shared bank) would be awesome.

Offline crafting?... personally, while planning crafting would be great, the actual act would detract from the game. I like a busy crafting hall - but that's just me.

(Was there also a spot for a personal Character by Character blurb/blog? +1 for that, too.)
    Last edited by C-Dog; 02-10-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Community Member

I would love! to see an offline real time printout of the combat log (assuming it is correct, and I have heard otherwise). It would allow people to make applications that would track dps/heals/damage taken in real time, and be able to evaluate builds without Lamannia (although it would be resource intensive). Also, people could fine-tune tactics for specific encounters.

In addition, if someone was retorting a combat bug, the QA team could potentially get sent the relevant part of their log.
    Ligraph, Andonar and Inos on Khyber.

2017 DDO Players Council Starla70's Avatar

Offline inventory would be nice, as well as Character look up to help in planning the ton out.
    Argonnessen main server/Kachinna, Dannu, KKenzi, Shanahann, Kaystrra, Fnorr, and Kyliestar toons

Your Dice really do hate you.

Community Member

what would you like to see if we had a new API?
    How about an API? That would be pretty sweet!

The Hatchery

Offline LFM and friends list. I don't wanna boot up DDO just to find that nothing is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kompera_Oberon View Post
    How about an API? That would be pretty sweet!
    Great idea. What specific functionality would you like to see it offer?

The last snapshot from archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130414...://my.ddo.com/ (bit slow to load)

It was a customized WordPress MU (Multi-User) setup, MU is now in the WP core as multisite/networks. Though one could do the same with Drupal, perhaps better - which might make sense, since the main ddo.com site is Drupal (based). Though it would probably be easier to replicate it with WordPress Multisite as it is now.

Looking at the source of that old page it appears it was pulling content from a Drupal install on content.turbine.com as well. Odd. Looks to be just images though, copied from the main site(?).

I could do it. For a price. So, I would be interested.
    "... none but ourselves can free the mind." - Marcus Garvey, 1937

I just finished watching the Wednesday live stream, um offline at http://www.twitch.tv/ddostream/v/43251534 and yeah it came up. Jerry mentioned the old API was broken for characters with 3 or more lives so bringing it back seemed problematic, amongst other things.

When you mention API, are we talking about something like REST-ful services? So the community would have to build out a web site/app to use them? Or would Turbine be building out the DDO website with a UI to go with the new API?

I like offline character look up and inventory, especially if it has a search features exposed!

Being able to interact with auctions would also great. And as already mentioned, being able to craft through a web interface (while at work!) would be awesome sauce!
    So yeah new crafting system as a web app, and have it so you can use it in game and out. That is a little beyond just API though.
    Last edited by Spekdah_NZ; 02-10-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: filter misfire

Quote Originally Posted by Spekdah_NZ View Post
    ... auctions ...
    Yes! Want!

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by amylee4000 View Post
    Offline Crafting..
    Seriously would make my working hours painless if we have a browser App like the old MyDDO.
    Umm no

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Offline inventory
    Offline character lookup
    LFM mobile app
    Offline Guild lookup
    Offline character export
    Offline Guild Management

This comes from a recent interview with Severlin and Cordorvan. The old MYDDO API is dead - and *probably* won't be coming back, but if they could put some functionality into the game .... what would it be:
    All of this but character look up only your own characters you should never ever be able to see someone ele's there was issue about that with myddo

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Spekdah_NZ View Post
    I just finished watching the Wednesday live stream, um offline at http://www.twitch.tv/ddostream/v/43251534 and yeah it came up. Jerry mentioned the old API was broken for characters with 3 or more lives so bringing it back seemed problematic, amongst other things.

When you mention API, are we talking about something like REST-ful services? So the community would have to build out a web site/app to use them? Or would Turbine be building out the DDO website with a UI to go with the new API?

I like offline character look up and inventory, especially if it has a search features exposed!

Being able to interact with auctions would also great. And as already mentioned, being able to craft through a web interface (while at work!) would be awesome sauce!
    So yeah new crafting system as a web app, and have it so you can use it in game and out. That is a little beyond just API though.
    Yes to auctions HELL NO TO CRAFTING

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    All of this but character look up only your own characters you should never ever be able to see someone ele's there was issue about that with myddo
    Or maybe just share your characters with who you want? (Thinking WordPress Multisite Buddypress install.)

Yes to auctions HELL NO TO CRAFTING
    Curious, why so strongly against crafting functions in an api? (not that I would use it, just too much grind for me... Perhaps that is why? Concerns about automation?)

Not sure if this one was mentioned, but in-game mail via the api would be cool too.

A thousand bags of platinum goes to the one who makes an offline inventory list available. Please, make it so.

I have mixed feelings about the viewing of other's character details. I have lots of memories of joining parties and being 'checked over' prior to running a quest by people using that tool. "Oh, I see you've gone out of your way to make sure that you keep your concentration & ki up." You could have just asked me, yanno.
    "When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

Crafting offline seems to impersonal (I like the bustle of the Craft Hall), and Auctions offline become just number manipulation, so in-game or not at all. Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    Looks to be just images though, copied from the main site(?).
    Iirc, mouse-hover gave pop-ups w/ gear info.

Please. 99% of this only concerns PvP. If someone wants to boast or share or link on forums w/ a question, or just doesn't care, they should have that option, no? Easily solved by default having all Chars private, but individually selectable to be public.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Auctions offline become just number manipulation, so in-game or not at all. Imo.
    Not so sure about that. For me api access to auctions would mean not missing that have-to-have-it item by 100plat just because I had to go to stupid work!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Iirc, mouse-hover gave pop-ups w/ gear info.
    Yes, I believe they were thickboxes pulling content from compendium.ddo.com. I was commenting that I thought it odd that the my.ddo.com wpmu site was pulling static content (images) from a drupal site (content.turbine.com/sites/my.ddo.com) on a different domain for stuff like breadcrumb arrow images and the like. Perhaps it was an incomplete effort to serve static content for the site from a cookieless domain?

I would have thought this all needs authentication, so can only view and interact with your own account. By no means anyone or anything else.

i.e.

* authenticate loginname password
    * getCharacterList()

MyChar1
    MyChar2

* getInventory(MyChar2)
    * searchItem("Raiders Box")

Really over simplified. But again with a straight API supplied only, then it's typically just text output, JSON, XML, CSV whatever. But if Turbine were also supplying a basic website then they can resolve images for items etc.

Anyway be happy with a straight APi to start with!

An actual API, not an app for:

- inventory
    - bank
    - guild

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast