Community Member

Default Swashbuckler questions

I have a lot of questions, so bear with me...

Swashbuckling is a stance, correct? Most of the benefits from the Swashbuckler Enhancements only apply while the stance is being used?

You can't dual wield 2 WEAPONS and get all the swashbuckling benefits? I know you can put a buckler in your offhand, and later on an orb or rune arm, but I am wondering about 2 swords.

I saw that Thread the Needle gives +5 damage while Precision is activated. But isn't Precision a stance too? Can both Swashbuckling and Precision both be active at the same time?

Different Track says you get CHA, DEX, or INT to damage. Does this REPLACE the normal STR damage that you would get, or is this special CHA/DEX/INT damage ADDED to your current STR-based damage?

On a related note, Elven Grace allows Elves to use DEX for weapon damage from their chosen set of weapons. Does this stack with Different Track? Could a player get their DEX mod x2 added to their weapon damage? Or their DEX + CHA mods added to their weapon damage?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post

Swashbuckling is a stance, correct? Most of the benefits from the Swashbuckler Enhancements only apply while the stance is being used?

You can't dual wield 2 WEAPONS and get all the swashbuckling benefits? I know you can put a buckler in your offhand, and later on an orb or rune arm, but I am wondering about 2 swords.

I saw that Thread the Needle gives +5 damage while Precision is activated. But isn't Precision a stance too? Can both Swashbuckling and Precision both be active at the same time?

Different Track says you get CHA, DEX, or INT to damage. Does this REPLACE the normal STR damage that you would get, or is this special CHA/DEX/INT damage ADDED to your current STR-based damage?

On a related note, Elven Grace allows Elves to use DEX for weapon damage from their chosen set of weapons. Does this stack with Different Track? Could a player get their DEX mod x2 added to their weapon damage? Or their DEX + CHA mods added to their weapon damage?

Thanks in advance.
    Swashbuckling explains what can be used. There is no twf option for swasbuckling, but with swf you get a faster attack speed. The stance needs to be on to get the benefits since they all say "when swashbuckling".

Precision and swashbuckling can be on at the same time. The +5 is from a tier 5 ability that boosts damage when precision is on.

The different tracks just determine the stat, it's not additive to strength - those replace strength as the main damage stat. I didn't test it, but in theory elven grace doesn't stack - it would be redundant. I am very confident the devs got that right and it wouldn't stack.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Community Member

Thanks in advance.
    1. Yes only when you're actually swashbuckling.
    2. No swashbuckling does not work with 2 swords
    3. Yep thread the needle and precision do stack nullifying the need for power attack.
    4. It replaces the normal str modifier completely.
    5. Does not stack its either one or the other.

You could go int based however and use the harper enh int damage boost that one does stack.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Swashbuckling is a stance, correct?
    Yes.
    Most of the benefits from the Swashbuckler Enhancements only apply while the stance is being used?
    Correct: anything labeled "while Swashbuckling" requires the stance to be active; everything else does not. So even if you're playing a non-Swashbuckling bard, there are still useful Enhancements in the Swashbuckler PrE: extra songs, Dodge bonus, etc.
    You can't dual wield 2 WEAPONS and get all the swashbuckling benefits?
    Correct: the description says, "Swashbuckling requires wielding a Finesseable or Thrown weapon in your main hand, wielding a Buckler or nothing in your off hand, and wearing Light Armor or no armor." No dual-wielding or 2H weapons allowed.
    There are multiple types of stances in DDO which stack with each other; but you can't have two stances of the same type active simultaneously. Fortunately, Swashbuckling & Precision will stack; but Precision and Power Attack won't stack. I try to list all of the stances (that I know) in this post.
    It replaces STR; same goes for Elven Grace. There is no way of getting your stats to "double-stack" like this...with one exception: an INT-based build with Harper can get INT to dmg from Two Steps Ahead, Strategic Combat, or the Insightful Damage spell; they can also get an INT-based bonus to dmg from Know the Angles ("You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Intelligence modifier for [30/60/120] seconds."). EDIT: not quite double-stacking, more like "1 1/2" stacking.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

The general rule is "First you must swash, and only then can you buckle".

That, and what everyone else said.
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

Community Member

Last small follow-up question (for now...). Drow get a bonus to to-hit, damage, and dodge when dual wielding through their Ambidexterity enhancement. Will this bonus activate for a swashbuckler while using a buckler or orb in your offhand?

Last small follow-up question (for now...). Drow get a bonus to to-hit, damage, and dodge when dual wielding through their Ambidexterity enhancement. Will this bonus activate for a swashbuckler while using a buckler or orb in your offhand?
    Nope, because you're not "dual wielding".