Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Community Manager

Default U28 Lamannia - Ranger: Tempest Feedback

Please take a look at the Ranger Tempest and give us your feedback here!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Will the various tempest abilities start to work with unarmed/wraps?

Post Tempest Feedback

Tempest seems alright, the survivability does leave something wanting but I was playing as a dex based, shortsword wielding drow so there is probably a better build for that. The enhancement Dual Perfection doesn't seem to be working as I have +69 to damage in my main and +57 in my off-hand. the damage is pretty nice, I wasn't playing a comp toon just had a few past lifes like my live toon. I had guild buffs, store pots and was running in LD ED and had about 58 dex and was smashing stuff for 440-500 base and about 1500-3000 crits(crits were often) in EE LoD. I haven't played the new quests with Tempest yet but it seems pretty decent. Melee Rangers wont be on par with Barb or Pally because of survivability it seems like(IMO) but pretty solid to me.

First some little bugs:

Release Notes typos or bugs compare to Lamannia
    - Elaborate Parry wrong description in Release Notes

Typo bugs in game:
    - Dance of Death says 6 second duration, while its 10 second.
    - The Growing Storm icon says +1 dmg -2AC, while there is no –AC effect on enemies or players.
    - Dual Perfection could not working at all. I still get different dmg bonuses with offhand weapons, in character sheet.

And about a Tree:
    Improvements are nice, but nothing special. And it’s not balance with other reworked classes.
    IMO too much active abilities and too less passive abilities. Almost no support for light weapons, especially scimitars as great option to Khopesh, if they already light weapon with Core 6.

IMO, abilities in shot (with explanation)

Good Improvements:
    - Shield of Whirling Steel – Adding MRR and PRR is nice.
    - Improved Defense – Additional PRR is always welcome
    - Action Boost – Reduce cost on 2 the best Boost are great. BTW: I wish I could take both…
    - Stormdancer – Additional passive damage is great. Same with absorption.
    - Elaborate Parry – Redesign to panic button. Nice, but very long cooldown.
    - Dual Perfection – If it work right, very nice improvement to offhand weapons.

Average Improvements:
    - Graceful Death – Ok improvement. On this level it’s minor but ok improvement. It’s sad that there is nothing for offhand weapons. Maybe +1 to hit for offhand weapon if it’s light weapon? (to support scimitars)
    - Dervish - +2dex, +10 melee power, MRR, PRR is great improvement. But for Core 20 I want more. Something unique. Like attack speed that rise in time, when we hold attack button and stand still (+1% attack speed every 5 second, 10% maximum or 15% maximum if we hold both light weapon – that will support scimitars).
    - Acrobatic – Reflex save is fine, but nothing impressive. Maybe Add +0/+1/+2 to hit for offhand weapon if it’s light weapon? (to support scimitars)
    - A Thousand Cuts – Nice improvement, but still long cooldown. But at least it’s not 90 (or more) second…
    - Whirling Blades – 3 dmg for T5 is not a strong ability. Well… 6 dmg on dual wielding. It’s nice, but just average on T5 with 8AP spend to get it. Maybe add additional dmg (+1) to offhand weapon if it’s light weapon (to support scimitars)

Poor Improvements:
    - Whirlwind – Very poor improvement. It’s Core 18 ability, and while 5% double strike is nice, it’s nothing compare with other reworked classes. Other at this point gets +critical multiplier, threat, attack speed, and more. If Tempest, want be competitive with others, it’s need more, much more. If you don’t want give then critical threat or multiplier (because of 20% off hand chance, maybe), then give something to offhand weapons. Like +10% double strike to offhand weapons, or 5% attack speed when dualwielding, maintain 5% doublestrike and 5 melee power.
    - Critical Mastery – While combine 2 most unimpressive abilities in one is good move, this new ability is just week. Add on 3rd rank + critical Multiplier to offhand weapon if it’s light weapon (to support scimitars) and it's brilliant.

Not touched abilities:
    - Deflect Arrows (Core 12) – While most Devs thinks that Deflect Arrow feat is great ability, most players don’t. Maybe this Core ability need some love? Something that will improve offhand weapons if it’s light (for scimitar support). Something like +5% double strike to offhand if it’s light weapon.
    - Improved Dodge/ Improved Mobility – Consider drop feat requirement. There is no need to force players to take that feats, if they want this ability.
    - Improved Parry – Consider drop AP cost to 1/1/1. It’s heavy costly, and with all these changes, we will love to have more option then pure DPS.
    Last edited by Requiro; 09-17-2015 at 06:41 AM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Player remembers. Player never forgets.
    I'm not native speaker

Thanks for the feedback, we'll be looking into many of the things listed here.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Requiro View Post
    First some little bugs:

...snip...

And about a Tree:
    Improvements are nice, but nothing special. And it’s not balance with other reworked classes.
    IMO too much active abilities and too less passive abilities. Almost no support for light weapons, especially scimitars as great option to Khopesh, if they already light weapon with Core 6.

IMO, abilities in shot (with explanation)

Good Improvements:
    - Shield of Whirling Steel – Adding MRR and PRR is nice.
    - Improved Defense – Additional PRR is always welcome
    - Action Boost – Reduce cost on 2 the best Boost are great. BTW: I wish I could take both…
    - Stormdancer – Additional passive damage is great. Same with absorption.
    - Elaborate Parry – Redesign to panic button. Nice, but very long cooldown.
    - Dual Perfection – If it work right, very nice improvement to offhand weapons.

Average Improvements:
    - Graceful Death – Ok improvement. On this level it’s minor but ok improvement. It’s sad that there is nothing for offhand weapons. Maybe +1 to hit for offhand weapon if it’s light weapon? (to support scimitars)
    - Dervish - +2dex, +10 melee power, MRR, PRR is great improvement. But for Core 20 I want more. Something unique. Like attack speed that rise in time, when we hold attack button and stand still (+1% attack speed every 5 second, 10% maximum or 15% maximum if we hold both light weapon – that will support scimitars).
    - Acrobatic – Reflex save is fine, but nothing impressive. Maybe Add +0/+1/+2 to hit for offhand weapon if it’s light weapon? (to support scimitars)
    - A Thousand Cuts – Nice improvement, but still long cooldown. But at least it’s not 90 (or more) second…
    - Whirling Blades – 3 dmg for T5 is not a strong ability. Well… 6 dmg on dual wielding. It’s nice, but just average on T5 with 8AP spend to get it. Maybe add additional dmg (+1) to offhand weapon if it’s light weapon (to support scimitars)

Poor Improvements:
    - Whirlwind – Very poor improvement. It’s Core 18 ability, and while 5% double strike is nice, it’s nothing compare with other reworked classes. Other at this point gets +critical multiplier, threat, attack speed, and more. If Tempest, want be competitive with others, it’s need more, much more. If you don’t want give then critical threat or multiplier (because of 20% off hand chance, maybe), then give something to offhand weapons. Like +10% double strike to offhand weapons, or 5% attack speed when dualwielding, maintain 5% doublestrike and 5 melee power.
    - Critical Mastery – While combine 2 most unimpressive abilities in one is good move, this new ability is just week. Add on 3rd rank + critical Multiplier to offhand weapon if it’s light weapon (to support scimitars) and it's brilliant.

Not touched abilities:
    - Deflect Arrows (Core 12) – While most Devs thinks that Deflect Arrow feat is great ability, most players don’t. Maybe this Core ability need some love? Something that will improve offhand weapons if it’s light (for scimitar support). Something like +5% double strike to offhand if it’s light weapon.
    - Improved Dodge/ Improved Mobility – Consider drop feat requirement. There is no need to force players to take that feats, if they want this ability.
    - Improved Parry – Consider drop AP cost to 1/1/1. It’s heavy costly, and with all these changes, we will love to have more option then pure DPS.
    Personally I really like the changes. I agree that Dervish should offer a bit more. Like +4 dex and Attack speed boosting. I also agree that Whirlwind should offer more as well. Like shore up the offhand so it is 90% all said and done, so the last core can make it 100%. If they were to add attack speed to the cores, they could put 5% in the last 3. Don't take anything out mind you, just add these as well to make tempest stand in the right place. Since DWS doesn't offer things to replace, and would compliment with what Tempest offers.

I liked having deflect arrows added. It was nice to see it proccing fairly often.

I also think Improved parry should be 1/1/1.

Default Good work on quests and Stalker, but Tempest certainly needs some tweaks...

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    In general U28 looks interesting at least with the quests and a much needed pass on Ranger.
    Stalker also looks cool with "Strikes Like Lightning" and "Headshot".

However Tempest frankly looks pretty "meh" so far.. it could certainly use more amps for TWF proc% and Double strike, which is pretty underutilized by melee toons atm compared to sword/board Vanguards or THF et cet.

To make people want to play melee TWF Rangers, perhaps entice them with a gain off 5% stacking Double strike on Tempest along with the described Core 1 and 2 if TWF to get them to try it, instead of only granting a useless TWF at 1 (when rangers already get it at 2?).

Also 60 sec timer on the Tier 5 Thousand Cuts is still just too long to be a go-to tier 5, maybe 30-45 sec.
    Also something to boost Dance of Death would put TWF tempests back on the map, and closer to being on par with recent passes.

At least entice people to play melee rangers or everyone will just go range or stay warlock or rogue.

Even doing all of these together and Tempest will still be only 1/2 what the recent Warlock class and its enhancements offer, but will at least attract some attention back to TWF melee Ranger.
    Anyway my .02 cents and that of my guild.

And thanks for the good work you guys generally do as well.
    Respectfully,
    Last edited by Pally4Life; 09-17-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Lamma impressions:

General feel is good. As discussed earlier, most special attacks (Dance of Death, Thousand Cuts, Exposing strike) integrate well into attack chain. Elaborate parry still feels weak, and has a too-long pause after activation. Not sure how I feel about Thousand Cuts yet: noticeable but not a gamechanger in any way.

General dps felt ok- stepped into EE ToEE Pt1, did Bruntsmash. No big numbers, but quite a few of them. Need more testing, but damage is much improved. There's still no real reason to go anything but Str-based with khopesh or warhammers (in LD for Pulverizer)- it'd be nice if there was a reason to stick to light weapons (rapier/scimitar/etc). Currently there is not. Maybe +1 crit on 19-20 for light weapons only in 18 core: that would at least balance rapier/scimitar with Khopesh (khopesh would still be ahead in DC, but thats alright).

Some descriptions are buggy, eg Dance of Death claims 6 sec duration 15 sec cooldown but is unchanged from its 10sec duration/15 sec cooldown on live.

Tempest tree is an AP-hog: no way to grab all the stuff I wanted from there. This isn't a bad thing, but AP-costs of some things could stand to be reduced (eg Elaborate Parry). Defenses felt better. Still feel like a bit more dodge would be good: PRR additions are more than adequate.

More feedback later.

so far it's nice but still weak.

* We need +1 crit range for light weapons in t4 core and +4 dex,
    * for t5; instead boring stat, prr etc bonus, some ofhand doublestrike and %10 passive attack speed stack with all other sources(with haste) . Also you should think about lowering Elaborate Parry's cooldown by half as t5 core bonus (or you may do that for all active ability cooldowns). it'll make l20 tempest something unique i believe.

instead twf feat(which is most pointless part of tempest so far) you may consider %1 dodge for each points spent on core abilities in tempest tree. And do the same for dodge cap as t3 one.
    Last edited by rygard; 09-17-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Proudly Member of DDO:EU Community, Member of legendary ex-guild: Disorganized Chaos,
    the Crabslayer, always high Dwarf from Mountains of Immerth

Founder

I'd change the cores (instead of the current changes):

Deflect Arrows (12): While dual wielding, 2 Shield bonus to Armor Class, Physical Resistance Rating, and Magical Resistance Rating. This increases by +2 for each additional Tempest Core Ability you acquire (+6 at core 20).

Whirlwind (18): +5% melee doublestrike chance when dual wielding, +10 Melee Power.

Dervish (20): Passive: +4 Dexterity. +25% chance to doublestrike with your off-hand when dual wielding. +10 Melee Power, Physical Resist Rating, and Magical Resist Rating while wearing light armor or cloth.

This helps rangers instead of people splashing 1-6 ranger levels.

I also think we need to know what the holy sword nerf is for balancing rangers vs paladins....
    Last edited by maddong; 09-17-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Forgot to mention earlier: the hitbox for TWF while moving still sucks. I know at some point a Dev said they'd look into this: please try and sort it out. The experience of moving around with THF or SWF is night and day more enjoyable than with TWF.

The active movement during combat is one of the single-best things about DDO, and TWF suffers when trying to make use of such movement.

SLA's in Core 12, 18, and 20? DD, AoE DD, and AoE CC, Stun, and/or ??? (respectively) like the ED "Ranger Tree" (Primal Avatar) that scales with melee (or ranged) power? Triggered of course. Easy to program/code.

So many options. SLA's would be nice to place in Ranger Tree's or added spells in our spell book. Earthquake, Sleet Storm, Vigor line, or DD spells that scale into Epic's would be useful. No need to be so limiting Turbine.
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    This^ in so many words is how you say time and feedback on Lammania are wasted.

I have a great improvement idea for Core 20

What about, remove +25% doublestrike for offhand weapon, replace it by, let’s say 10% (15% maybe?) normal doublestrike AND... give unique ability, that apply all doublestrike chances you have to main AND offhand weapons. That is what I call unique and powerful ability

This way, there is a great option to stay pure Tempest rather than splash.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Player remembers. Player never forgets.
    I'm not native speaker

Community Member

Default some thoughts

Compared to other classes still lackluster...
    Anyways mediocre/decent improvement:

Cores

_ Shield of Whirling Steel: prr and mrr always nice.
    _ Tempest: adding some movement speed % bonus per ranger lvl (no stacking with other classes same bonuses and only while twf or light armor).(a really important point to me cause warlocks/mecha/insert throwing/ranged build here)
    _ Graceful Death: as prr and mrr always nice to have some melee power.
    _ Deflect Arrows: need some rework
    _ Whirlwind: need some rework
    _ Dervish: need some rework

Tiers

_ Storm Dancer: cool name and %absorb... not good electrical damage 1d6/2d6 even scaling with melee power is weak worries much about heroics at this point ??? not that usefull on epics.
    _ Improved dodge, mobility and parry need some tweak and dropping feat requeriment would be good (bad point splashes builds)
    _ Elaborated parry: this seems decent but something missing....maybe 60 sec cd.
    _ Dual perfection: decent.
    _ Whirling Blades: weak need some rework.
    _ A Thousand Cuts: need some rework.

Some tweak in Wild Instincts(self cast spell/and to avoid hs builds splashes 15/5 or 14/6 or most common 6 ranger splash) would be nice to see something like adding +1(w) or seeker damage or bloodletter(or a combo of it )only on slashing weapons . Adding some crit range /multiplier on last cores is needed i guess since that is common sense in the current game or some serious rework balance between all classes..

Good work guys hope you find usefull ours feedbaks...

I can see why some like the panic option of - Elaborate Parry

I would rather have seen a passive bonus of accumulative stacks based on hitting mobs stacking to dodge and dodge cap (max dependant on some sort of scale maybe dex bonus /something) that decay at a reasonable rate, as is its just a different version of uncanny dodge.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

The Myth- TR will make my character powerful
    The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

I created a few ranger builds and tested them in the Tavern Brawl Quest:

Str-based Khopesh Tempest 20 Ranger:
    DPS was good but not over the top. Dex-based would be an option but going from 1d8 to 1d6 and a weaker crit profile did not seem worth it for me. Survivability was an issue but I felt like it was ok. There is no need to go over the top like barb healing.

Int-based Khopesh Tempest 20 Ranger:
    AP are extremely tight, but otherwise it performed well enough. I am not sure it it is worth it but might be a choice. My Original Ranger is 18/1/1 With Int-to-dmg and rogue skills however I don't think that this is still worth giving up the capstone. Especially because there are no AP left for other trees then Harper, DWS and Tempest.

Str-based Khopesh Tempest 13 Druid / 6 Ranger / 1 Fighter
    Well this one was just silly. Let's just say it over-performed. The fact that you can profit from gSWF, gTWF and Natural Fighting at the same time has been stated to be not working as intended but has not been changed since the introduction of SWF as far as I am aware.

Notes:
    - I consider Improved Parry to expensive with 2 AP/Tier
    - I feel like Dex vs Str are kind of Balanced now because you have more DPS using Str. You can't get a much higher Str on a pure Ranger then Dex. You will bet 2 from Ram's Might and 5 from Primal Scream but that's about it. The main difference it the ability to use a Khopesh while the Dex build is limited to light weapons, but gets higher Reflex Save and a better Synergy with some Ranger abilities.

I still think that an improved Crit profile would be nice to allow more weapon usage, but it would shift the balance back to Dex builds. Also if you add a better crit profile please do it the bard way. If you would add just 1 crit range for light weapons, everyone would just use light picks. Even Holy Sword would not be so bad if it wouldn't be so extremely powerful with weapons that already have a great crit profile.

I am playing with a older build 36 points (16 Ranger/2 Rogue/2 Monk) which hasn't been adjusted for maximum FOTM style in some time... Unfortunately the character is under equipped in terms of gear as I had forgotten that TR Cache's are not transferred with Characters to Lamannia. While I tried EE the missing 30 points of AC and other damage mitigation factors I would normally have made my survivability none existent so I dropped down to Epic Hard.

The Character is a Dex Build using Thunderforged Rapiers...

In General I was disappointed with the DPS, well there is a chance it is because I am missing some points in Dex and Str from gear, it simply felt that I was not getting the bumps that many str builds are getting in other PREs.

The lack of DPS was very noticeable when I encountered the named mini-bosses in a couple of quests. The one named orthon in Grim and Beer it (or what ever it was called) took over two minutes to beat down on Epic Hard.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

DPS is decent, but is lower than a swashbuckler... the cap of tempest needs a boost. In my opinion, a pure tempest ranger should definitely be doing more DPS than a bard, so perhaps add the following:

You now treat Khopeshs as if they were light melee weapons.

Or bastard swords.

Reasoning:
    You're already allowing Scimitar's to be treated as light weapons (2nd core), but they do the same damage as a rapier (a light weapon). Doesn't seem to be a point (other than trading slashing for pierce). Anyway, you've already broken the seal when it comes to adding additional weapons to the Dex build outside of "light" weapons.

Secondly, tempest needs a DPS boost. Adding khopesh or bastard sword accomplishes that, but not at an outrageous level.
    -You need to be pure Ranger, so you can't enhance it with any Kensei abilities.
    -Many would take exotic weapon proficiency, thus trading off something else, creating some kind of balance

Alternatively, change it to:
    You now treat longswords as if they were light melee weapons.

The DPS is lower than khopesh or BS, but higher than scimitars/rapiers/etc. Can't be combined with any monk-like abilities (i.e. whirling steel strike, centered bonus, etc) because you are pure Ranger. But, you get a nice DPS boost as a bonus for staying pure.

Khopesh/BS: Adds a lot more DPS, requires a potential feat trade off
    Longsword: Adds DPS, but not as much. Does not require feat.

Either of those would make Tempest and Pure Ranger much more appetizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkusoittow View Post
    DPS is decent, but is lower than a swashbuckler... the cap of tempest needs a boost. In my opinion, a pure tempest ranger should definitely be doing more DPS than a bard, so perhaps add the following:

You now treat Khopeshs as if they were light melee weapons.

Or bastard swords.

Reasoning:
    You're already allowing Scimitar's to be treated as light weapons (2nd core), but they do the same damage as a rapier (a light weapon). Doesn't seem to be a point (other than trading slashing for pierce). Anyway, you've already broken the seal when it comes to adding additional weapons to the Dex build outside of "light" weapons.

Secondly, tempest needs a DPS boost. Adding khopesh or bastard sword accomplishes that, but not at an outrageous level.
    -You need to be pure Ranger, so you can't enhance it with any Kensei abilities.
    -Many would take exotic weapon proficiency, thus trading off something else, creating some kind of balance

Alternatively, change it to:
    You now treat longswords as if they were light melee weapons.

The DPS is lower than khopesh or BS, but higher than scimitars/rapiers/etc. Can't be combined with any monk-like abilities (i.e. whirling steel strike, centered bonus, etc) because you are pure Ranger. But, you get a nice DPS boost as a bonus for staying pure.

Khopesh/BS: Adds a lot more DPS, requires a potential feat trade off
    Longsword: Adds DPS, but not as much. Does not require feat.

Either of those would make Tempest and Pure Ranger much more appetizing.
    just a note, ninjas ANT get dex to hit and damage by 3rd level with all piercing and slashing weapons, so with longswords a splash could get it dex to damage. Not sure if they need to be centered for dex to damage on ninja level 3 core; the description does not say so.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    just a note, ninjas ANT get dex to hit and damage by 3rd level with all piercing and slashing weapons, so with longswords a splash could get it dex to damage. Not sure if they need to be centered for dex to damage on ninja level 3 core; the description does not say so.
    The whole point was to give PURE rangers a boost in the capstone, to incentivize pure builds. Currently, a pure Tempest ranger does not have the DPS to compete with pure Swashbuckling Bard, or many other builds. Pure ranger stacks up even worse compared to splashes:
    Take Whirling Steel Strike as a monk, and treat longswords as monk weapons (stay centered).
    Kensei's One With The Blade: Focus weapons keep you centered. (etc)

Using this, you can use dex-to-hit/dmg (Ninja Spy, core 2). So, splash build...

My point was to boost the capstone of Ranger such that people would actually want to go pure Ranger, and not leave the class as nothing but a splash-class, which is how it is right now (pre U28).

What's the point of working over the entire class and enhancements if you're not giving a strong incentive to go pure?

Is the design of ranger to be a supporting splash to support other builds? Really?
    Last edited by Alkusoittow; 09-19-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast