Thread: Bleed damage

Community Member

Default Bleed damage

This is a question about the bleed effect that comes from Slicing Blow and Bleed them Out Enhancements. The Slicing Blow Feat is a 15 sec cd for 1d4 every two seconds for roughly 12 seconds. Bleed them out is a 6 sec cd for a 1/2/3 W 1d6 every two seconds for 14 seconds and it stacks and is affected by Melee Power.

So does anyone use these abilities? 5d6 every two seconds plus melee power seems like a nice amount of bonus damage.

I use Bleed Damage in heroic levels on most of my characters (melee ones that is) and find the extra damage helpful in improving my DPS.

However, these work better on characters that have low DPS that would not normally kill a mob within that 15 second timeframe.

If your DPS > The Damage Over Time Effect then its value diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I use Bleed Damage in heroic levels on most of my characters (melee ones that is) and find the extra damage helpful in improving my DPS.

However, these work better on characters that have low DPS that would not normally kill a mob within that 15 second timeframe.

Actually I think the comparative also needs to include what else could you do in that same timeframe with other AP/Feat/Actions of any sort. Factor in graphic pauses for the various actions and often the bonus damage of something doesn't surpass just swinging like normal.

That said - in heroics I find almost any of the 'stack x times' and melee DOTS are useless as you kill everything so fast that the stacks never build appreciably OR the dots only tick once or twice. This points to Enoachs comments. Then in Epics I find that between destinies, epic feats etc.... that I don't have time to cycle in these types of actions in my 6-8 seconds depending on cooldownson better/more powerful actions.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post

Yes, it basically only becomes useful vs meatsacks like raid bosses or the TOEE rednames. A tempests' damage output is such that the rest of the time the bleed does seem to be largely irrelevant. It ought to just be a passive that does a smaller amount of bleed but stacking slightly and applying on any melee hit (no more than once per second blah blah).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Just to be clear on my point. I'm not saying these effects are useless. What I'm saying is their usefulness is greater the less DPS you have vs the Amount of DPS you can apply during the effects time line.

Basically did applying this effect reduce the amount of time it would have taken to kill without said effect.

Keep in mind that many of these effects are what can be looked at as DPS equalizers. They allow lower DPS builds to increase their DPS via over time effects such as bleed, or increased damage via Vulnerability or Helpless Effects, or even Defensive such as Attribute Damage or Slow effects, and of course the Vorpal/Banish/Smite/Disruption which will kill a mob outright on a natural 20 (with the now caveat of as long as they are less then a HP threshold)

Vorpal/Banish/Smite/Disruption when first brought to the game allowed for builds that could not kill something in 20 hits an option to do so as it was rational that somewhere close to 20 hits these effects would apply themselves. Even with the Extra Damage on a 20 but not below HP threshold many DPS builds opt for other effects that apply greater amounts of damage such as Banes or Elemental Damage types.

The problem usually comes when the effects out pace DPS much like the Phantasmal Killer effect which at one time was found on a single weapon Terror and them became an effect on greater amounts of weapons.

Again, judge your DPS, see if these effects when being used do decrease the number of swings needed. I especially use effects that increase my DPS against Mobs where I'm weakest, such as mobs that sneak attack or Fortification prevents high DPS for my build. I also use attribute damage to weaken creatures so that they don't hit me as hard. Each build should judge this for themselves.