Page 147 of 293 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197247 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 5859

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Liked reading. HATED forced reading.

Sounds like they're letting him pick his own books for this? That'll help.

Maybe try some of those "make your own adventure" books? If it's interactive where he's reading the story and having you or dad make the choices in the adventure it'll spark some interest and distract from the "homework" aspect of it. (Some were written fairly low of the difficulty scale so might work for a 2nd grader) Check Amazon/Ebay.

edit: Hmm. "Chapter books". Adventure books might be stretching that definition a little thin.
    Good suggestion. I'll see what I can acquire. I may have two set aside from my childhood in a box somewhere.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Good afternoon all.

Did anyone here dislike reading? My son can read decently for his age group (2nd grade) but since Christmas the teacher has assigned everyone to read 20 mins a day aloud from chapter books. Previously, my kid read when he wanted to (sometimes as long as an hour) from various sources; picture books, chapter books, comic books, science magazines, etc. But now that he considers it homework I'm having difficulties getting him to do so.

Any suggestions?
    I really hated it when someone told me to do something I was already doing; I would refuse just for spite. Maybe try asking him to read you a story, and "don't let that silly teacher make you stop at only 20 minutes. We can read as long as we want to."

I remember reading a lot of my opa's books when I was in 3rd grade and later. I think Heinlein's shorter books are great for that age (e.g. Have Spacesuit, Will Travel). Whichever titles he likes, maybe let him read to you like it's a bedtime story—something special between the two of you that no fun-stealing teacher can tarnish.
    1776 Growing Liberty for Centuries 2022

*Bekki wanders in...
    *Heads to the bar....
    *Sets up and restocks...
    *Preps the food and drinks for the day...

*Pours morning drinks for all...

Morning All !!!

Happy Friday!!!
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Slapping is not a good idea.

"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Slapping is not a good idea.

That.

Was.

AWESOME!

Love it when people stand up for themselves against, well, pretty much anything.

I really hated it when someone told me to do something I was already doing; I would refuse just for spite. Maybe try asking him to read you a story, and "don't let that silly teacher make you stop at only 20 minutes. We can read as long as we want to."

I remember reading a lot of my opa's books when I was in 3rd grade and later. I think Heinlein's shorter books are great for that age (e.g. Have Spacesuit, Will Travel). Whichever titles he likes, maybe let him read to you like it's a bedtime story—something special between the two of you that no fun-stealing teacher can tarnish.
    I'll try it. I have a couple Heinlein but I'm not sure if The Cat who Walks through Walls, and Stranger in a Strange Land would appeal just yet. But thinking about it Jules Verne would probably be appropriate about now.
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

On a somewhat lighter note my daughter has made up a life story for the caged owlbear in the harbor. Its a mommy owlbear, and she's a sad mommy because she just wants her babies back. She was caged because she was making a mess in the harbor searching for her babies. My daughter is convinced mean ogres took her babies and we should go on a quest to save them. Since the quest she made up doesn't exist (or anything vaguely like it) I'm not sure what to do to make either her or the despondent-looking owlbear happy. I tried saying I had her baby and was taking care of it (snowy owlbear cub)... but my daughter begged me to go take it to the mommy so she would be happy. Of course there was no response from the caged owlbear so my daughter said I was wrong that wasn't her baby. She very cleverly pointed out it was the wrong color too.

All of this while playing harbor hide and go seek. She did find an awesome hiding place using the ladder behind the auctioneer.

On a somewhat lighter note my daughter has made up a life story for the caged owlbear in the harbor. Its a mommy owlbear, and she's a sad mommy because she just wants her babies back. She was caged because she was making a mess in the harbor searching for her babies. My daughter is convinced mean ogres took her babies and we should go on a quest to save them. Since the quest she made up doesn't exist (or anything vaguely like it) I'm not sure what to do to make either her or the despondent-looking owlbear happy. I tried saying I had her baby and was taking care of it (snowy owlbear cub)... but my daughter begged me to go take it to the mommy so she would be happy. Of course there was no response from the caged owlbear so my daughter said I was wrong that wasn't her baby. She very cleverly pointed out it was the wrong color too.

All of this while playing harbor hide and go seek. She did find an awesome hiding place using the ladder behind the auctioneer.
    Priceless!
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Gold.

Good morning.

It would make an okay story line for a druid themed quest possibly out on the Cerulean Hills. But we really do have enough low level stuff. If she comes up with anything else entertaining I will definitely share it.

Good morning.

It would make an okay story line for a druid themed quest possibly out on the Cerulean Hills. But we really do have enough low level stuff. If she comes up with anything else entertaining I will definitely share it.
    It would not be the first time the devs changed an aspect of a public area based on quest completion.

*passing by*

I'd roll a druid with this enhancement tree.
    Collectibles

*Bekki wanders in...
    *Heads to the bar....
    *Sets up and restocks...
    *Preps the food and drinks for the day...
    *Pours morning drinks for all...

Morning All !!!
    Last edited by Bekki; 03-15-2017 at 08:24 AM.

According to my wet sticky feet, it's officially Monday.

(One of these days, I'll stop setting my phone next to my drink on the table by my recliner.)
    Collectibles

Morning all.

Yesterday evening, while playing with my daughter, she asked me to show her how to go back to Korthos.

I asked her "Why? You know we are too high level for that area now."
    Her response, "I know, but those are my people."
    "Huh?" I ask, eloquently.
    "I'm a hero there, Mommy, those are my people. So my girl lives there now."

-Pause, while I process how the story has been absorbed in her imagination.-

"Okay." I guide her back to Korthos.
    She proceeds to go around the island occasionally re-doing a quest all by herself. But mostly talking to people and asking me to read their dialogue, which unsurprisingly on sunny side Korthos is frequently praise and congratulations.

Felt I should share the amusement.

Morning all.

Yesterday evening, while playing with my daughter, she asked me to show her how to go back to Korthos.

She proceeds to go around the island occasionally re-doing a quest all by herself. But mostly talking to people and asking me to read their dialogue, which unsurprisingly on sunny side Korthos is frequently praise and congratulations.

Awesome.
    I love the imagination.

Morning all.

aww, that's really adorable.

i love it when RPGs acknowledge your achievements. rather than being some no name adventurer, you're someone who has actually built a name for themselves, like in Guild Wars 2.
    Doppelganger? Whatever are you talking about, my dear?

Quote Originally Posted by doomboyv2 View Post
    aww, that's really adorable.

i love it when RPGs acknowledge your achievements. rather than being some no name adventurer, you're someone who has actually built a name for themselves, like in Guild Wars 2.
    That's something I always liked about DDO.
    They do that in quite a few places...

Have her visit Capshaw the Crier in the Harbor.
    As you do more and more, he changes how he interacts with you.
    She will see her character treated more and more like a hero by Capshaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
    That's something I always liked about DDO.
    They do that in quite a few places...

Have her visit Capshaw the Crier in the Harbor.
    As you do more and more, he changes how he interacts with you.
    She will see her character treated more and more like a hero by Capshaw.
    There are also a couple chains you can do that will get you discounted prices and praise comments from shopkeepers in various places.

Morning all.

Nice.

Can't wait to hear how she likes House D eventually. Noticing how all the guards stand to attention as she passes them could be cool.

edit: Capshaw a good idea, too.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 03-13-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Collectibles

Page 147 of 293 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197247 ... LastLast