Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yet Another DDO-based PnP Campaign

Ever since the Stormreaver storyline finished in U19, I've been thinking about making that storyline the focus of my PnP campaign, and since my current campaign is probably going to reach its natural ending in about a month or two, I started to make some drafts about how to made the whole storyline fit into 30 levels of play. Yes, this is D&D 4e.

If anyone else already tried something like this, I would love any feedback. If anyone find this idea interesting, I would also love some feedback. If more people are interested, I'll update the topic as we play and see how we are doing.

"Main Quest" mean that this storyline is mandatory for the campaign, and it will have a large XP reward. Most of them will also have an extra reward upon completion of the chain.
    "Side Quest" mean that this storyline is optional for the campaign, but it will have a large gp/item reward.

The quests have a level where I will base the encounters and rewards, but the group can play them a few levels above or below as they wish.

So, final draft ahead:

<Draft removed because I started the campaign, so kept it as personal notes>
    Last edited by nibel; 09-27-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Self-Appointed Coin Lord of the Seas ForgettableNPC's Avatar

I think it'd be a good idea to include in "A Small Problem" part since you're fetching an actor for the play "The Fall of Truth" and the director could give them free seats on top of the reward for them to watch, giving insight into the lore between Stormreaver and the Truthful One.

If you have room to fit it in (maybe take place of some of the filler levels), you could fit in the Epic 3BC storyline about Ahraatz-Ri's treasure and the piece of the Draconic Prophecy that Cydonie recovers from it, which Velah mentioned it to her (Some time after Sentinel chain and Vault of Night, of course).

And don't forget when the Dreaming Dark council recognize the party for Killing Sor'jek twice, battling Velah in Vault of Night, and subduing the Stormreaver! (Maybe more, depending on what else they mention that the party did)
    Just a random, forgettable NPC doing things an NPC does
    Things that NPCs do include, but are not limited to:

Having a gold goblet over my head to indicate availability of a quest
    Having a catchphrase that never really catches on
    Having various rewards that are generally not worth the trouble
    Wandering around randomly
    Giving out obvious information if it wasn't obvious enough
    Repeating the same lines over and over again
    Repeating the same lines over and over again

Quote Originally Posted by ForgettableNPC View Post
    I think it'd be a good idea to include in "A Small Problem" part since you're fetching an actor for the play "The Fall of Truth" and the director could give them free seats on top of the reward for them to watch, giving insight into the lore between Stormreaver and the Truthful One.
    Added it as a side quest now at level 4. Thanks.

If you have room to fit it in (maybe take place of some of the filler levels), you could fit in the Epic 3BC storyline about Ahraatz-Ri's treasure and the piece of the Draconic Prophecy that Cydonie recovers from it, which Velah mentioned it to her (Some time after Sentinel chain and Vault of Night, of course).
    Chronologically, Epic 3BC happens after Fall of Truth. That's why I'm not adding it to the game.

And don't forget when the Dreaming Dark council recognize the party for Killing Sor'jek twice, battling Velah in Vault of Night, and subduing the Stormreaver! (Maybe more, depending on what else they mention that the party did)
    That is one of the main reasons I set it as the capstone quest of Paragon tier instead of Ascension Chamber or Reaver's Fate. This scene holds a special place in my heart as a DDO player, and I want them to have the same impact I did when I first played this quest.
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

For anyone following this topic, I started the actual campaign diary in another topic. Be welcome to follow it as well.

I switched the monsters in Korthos from Sahuagins to Bullywugs for two reasons: They are a better fit for a level 1 adventure, and have some unique traits (Nature's Release, Rancid Air) while sahuagins have as "trait" just the fact that they are aquatic.
    Last edited by nibel; 10-11-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Default Heyton's Rest Encounter

Setup

The encounter takes place inside the crypt. The PCs hear howls and loud chants in Primordial asking for the favor of Pikkiwoki (Religion DC 15 to recognize it as an aspect of The Keeper/Raven Queen) while offering the "bddy of a savior" in sacrifice. The PCs can stay out of sight with a Stealth check DC 10, since everyone inside is focusing on the ritual. Doing so will award the group a surprise round, where every monster (except the necromancer) is sitting down, and considered prone.

The PCs can start anywhere inside the purple square, or in the corridors before it (if they don't want to engage immediately). If they choose to not engage as soon as possible, the necromancer will finish the ritual, and the body of Kyleanne Heyton will raise and obey the necromancer (Put her on the map south of the necromancer's token).

Tactics

Upon noticing the PCs, the archers will stay inside the room, shooting on the corridor with clear line of sight on the PC that is closer. If the group break into the room, they will seek cover on the two pillars. They only use melee attacks if they have no options. The cultists will move adjacent to the entrance and prepare an action to attack the first PC that comes adjacent. They never leave the room on their own will, and intend to be threats so the group don't charge the necromancer from the start. The Bullywug Muckers will stay totally out of sight, and only engage PCs that enter the room. They will use their Bullywug Rush as an opener, and every time it recharge, they will disengage (provoking AoO) and use it again. Don't plan too much with them, they are stupid.

The Bullywug Necromancer will use his actions in the first two turns to finish the ritual. If he gets damaged by any attack before he can finish his second turn, he will give up on the ritual, and engage the PCs. After that (or if the group only engages after he finished it), he will uses Pikkiwoki Knuckles every opportunity he has, focusing on the melee PCs to keep them immobilized. If possible, he will seek cover on the pillars as well. When he gets bloodied, he will try to run away, using his melee attack to become invisible and prevent AoO.

Kyleanne Heyton will obey any orders given by the Necromancer, and this will usually be "attack the defender" (or the most armored character). If the necromancer dies before her, she will always attack the nearest creature, regardless if it is a PC or not.

Features of the area

Illumination: Despite the red light, the whole dungeon is lit on bright light. The ceiling is three squares high on the corridors and five squares high on the main chamber.

Evil Altar: The altar is 3 ft high and provide cover against ranged attacks that cross its area. Climbing on the altar requires two squares of movement, or an athletics check (DC 10).

Pillars: Each pillar provides cover. If they are attacked (AC 13, Fortitude 18, Reflex 8, immune to Will attacks) and dealt 20 damage, they will crumble and topple to the opposite side, instantly knocking any creature there to 0 HP.

Treasure

Neither monster carry any treasure worthy of notice, beyond their gear listed on their stat block.

This encounter is worthy 550 XP. It has a budget of 650 XP, but award less because the group can prevent Kyleanne from appearing, and even after that, can kill the necromancer and get an half-ally for a while.

Bullywug Necromancer

Level 1 Controller, Medium natural humanoid (aquatic), 100 XP
    HP 29, Initiative +0, AC 15, Fort 12, Ref 12, Will 14
    Speed 6 (swim 4), Perception +3, Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +6
    Str 11, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 13
    Chaotic Evil, speaks Primordial

Rancid Air (Aura 2): Enemies within the aura can't regain hit points.
    Traits: Aquatic, Swamp Walk, Nature's Release (see the bullywug block for those)
    Pikkiwoki's Staff: (Basic, Melee 1, one creature) +6 vs. AC; Hit: 1d10+3 damage, and the necromancer becomes invisible to the target until the end of the necromancer's next turn.
    Pikkiwoki's Touch: (Ranged 10, one creature) +5 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 1d6+5 force damage, and the necromancer chooses either to slide the target 3 squares or to immobilize the target until the end of the necromancer's next turn.
    Pikkiwoki's Knuckles: (Recharge 5-6) The necromancer makes two Pikkiwoki's Touch attacks against different targets.

Equipment: Staff, Holy Symbol.
    Last edited by nibel; 10-11-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Default The Collaborator (Tavern)

This encounter is intended to be easier than average, so its budget was split in waves coming at the start of round 1, 2, and 3. If the respective squares are occupied, the mobs entering will push anyone there one square. In addition, the mudman deal 1d10 damage when it falls over someone (friend or foe).

Round 1

Four minions from the front door, one bullywug from the cellar.

Round 2

One more comes form the front door, three break through windows.

Round 3

The mud man break through the roof and fall in the middle of the tavern.

Setup

The encounter takes place inside the Wavecrest Tavern. The players can position themselves in any place inside the tavern. Unless they are actively looking through the door all the times, they will not hear the bullywug coming, but neither side gets a surprise round.

If someone is looking, they need a passive perception of 15 to notice the group of frog-men preparing up to attack all houses in the village, and a small group moving to the tavern. If the group have decent ranged attacks (range 15 or more), they can easily shot them out before they have a chance to close up. In this case, the first round will be only the Bullywug Mucker that breaks through the cellar. The next rounds goes up as normal.

Tactics

The bullywugs and cultists intend to kill the players. They will not retreat. Unlike the crypt, this time everyone will fight smart, but they underestimate the PCs, and sent a small number. This is as intended, the PCs are expected to find this fight too easy.

The mud man tries to throw mud balls on the first round, then charges the slowed enemy in the next one. If after the charge the target saves against the slowed condition, he will use Amorphous body to gain ground, and start again.

Features of the area

Illumination: The whole tavern is under dim light, providing concealment to everyone that do not have low light vision or darkvision (bullywugs and cultists don't). The only exception is the entrance and the bar, that is bright lit.

Bar: The bar bench is 3 foot tall and provides cover. It is possible to stand on top of it (with an athletics check or using 2 squares of movement), but if you get knocked prone while standing on the bench, you also get slid one square outside the bench.

Tables: Tables are considered difficult terrain. They can be knocked over to provide cover with a Strength check (DC 10).

Divisor screens: The screens block line of sight, but are thin enough to not block most attacks (provides concealment, not cover). Jumping over them requires an Athletics check (DC 15) or Acrobatics check (DC 10).

Beer container: On the south area and behind the bar are two giant tankards filled with beer. If the PCs decide to knock it down, it makes a close blast 5 attack (+4 vs. Reflex, all creatures in the area: Targets get vulnerable 5 cold and fire (save ends) and are knocked prone)

Treasure

Neither monster carry any treasure worthy of notice, beyond their gear listed on their stat block.

This encounter is worthy 450 XP.

Default The Collaborator (Tunnels)

Setup

The encounter takes place inside the secret tunnels behind Wavecrest Tavern's cellar. Jacoby is discussing with Kiv Nerl, apparently the bullywug leader behind this assault. If someone can speak Primordial, can listen to what they are talking before choosing to charge in (mostly, Kiv calling Jacoby useless). Because of their discussion, they can't listen to the party approaching from the other side of the stone door, no matter how much noise they make.

The enemies are behind a stone door (map show the path open), and opening it takes time and make a loud sound, preventing any side from taking a surprise round.

Tactics

Jacoby's only objective is to get away alive. He will not care about his allies (not caring if he might hit an ally in an AoE attack, for instance), and will surrender if he is bloodied and is the last man standing (unless he is fighting against a single PC as well).

Kiv Nerl is leading the attack, and will get angry with Jacoby for allowing the "other filthy humans" to discover the secret passage. If Jacoby died before him, he will grab his corpse, say that "Death is too good for you", and run away jumping in the subterranean river under the palisade.

The cultist archers will fight to their deaths.

The bullywugs will fight until Kiv retreats (when they follow), or to their deaths.

Features of the area

Illumination: There are pyres in regular intervals on the cave, making it bright lit. The ceiling is 5 squares high.

Palisades: At the end of the tunnel, there is a subterranean river, barely covered by some palisades. They are sturdy enough to stand on them without any penalties, and spaced enough to jump down through them into the river. If you pull, push or slide anyone over the palisades, you can choose to make them fall through. Doing so will follow the rules of pushing though a border (saving throw to avoid falling, succeeding knock the target prone).

Subterranean river: The river have a mild current, but extend for a mile underground with no air pockets. It leads to the ocean in a point far away from Korthos Village. Races that need to breath usually can't make a swim this long (Endurance DC 22). Failing means you start to drown, and need to pass on a second endurance check at the same DC to be able to return alive to the cavern. A dungeoneering check (DC 15) allow you to notice the lack of small fish, and estimate the size of the river.

Treasure

This encounter is worthy 600 XP.

Jacoby Drexelhand

Level 3 Elite Artillery, Medium natural humanoid (human), 300 XP
    HP 78, Initiative +3, AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 15, Will 16
    Resist 5 poison, +2 to Saves, 1 Action Point
    Speed 6, Perception +9, Arcana +7, Intimidate +7, Nature +9
    Str 12, Con 15, Dex 14, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 13
    Evil, speaks Common and Primordial

Quarterstaff: (Basic, Melee 1, one creature) +6 vs. AC; Hit: 1d8+3 damage.
    Poison Ray: (Ranged 10, one creature) +5 vs. Fortitude; Hit: Hit: 1d10 + 4 poison damage, and all creatures adjacent to the target take 3 poison damage.
    Lightning Blast: (Recharge 5-6, Close Blast 3, all creatures) +5 vs. Reflex; Hit: 2d6 + 4 lightning damage, and the target is dazed until the end of Jacoby's next turn. Special: If at least one ally is within the blast, Jacoby gains +2 bonus to the attack roll
    Fireball: (Encounter, Area Burst 2 within 10, all creatures) +5 vs. Reflex; Hit: 2d10 + 4 fire damage; Miss: Half damage. Special: If at least one ally is within the blast, Jacoby gains +2 bonus to the attack roll

Equipment: Quarterstaff.
    Last edited by nibel; 10-03-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Default Redemption (outside)

Setup

The encounter takes place outside the old Cannith manufactury in Korthos Island. The bullywugs are going to investigate the rumor that Lars is hidden inside, and sent a small force to check it out. If someone can speak Primordial and the group was cautious on the approach (Stealth DC 16), they can listen they talk about Lars. The Giant Frog on the water is hidden (Passive Perception 17 to notice).

The group can advance up to the purple square marked on the map before the bullywugs have line of sight of them. If they approach hidden, they receive a surprise round.

Tactics

The Giant Frog will wait two rounds until any PC comes adjacent to the border, when it will try to pull it down and then eat it. After two rounds, if no PC comes close, it will jump on the top and join the fray. After it successfully swallow someone, it will retreat back to the water, and hide. A swallowed opponent will take damage from the Bite attack without the need of an attack roll.

The Cultist Archers will stand where they are (unless forced otherwise), and attack until they are killed. The top archer has Cover, and the bottom archer has line of sight to the whole field (except the purple square area).

The Bullywugs will fight trying to set flanks. The Leaper will break from any melee fight it is involved when the Spasmodic Leap recharges, going to try a charge against someone who will be granting combat advantage. The Mucker will do the same with its Bullywug Rush, but will not care about provoking AoO while doing so.

Features of the area

Illumination: The fight takes place outside, and the day is clear, providing bright light.

Water: The water flow is constant, but not pushing. It is 3 feet deep, and is considered difficulty terrain (except by aquatic creatures). Anyone that is prone inside the water also have Concealment, and can make a Stealth check to stay hidden. The platform is two squares above the water, dealing 1d10 damage to anyone pushed or jumping down. There is a ladder that allow anyone to get out of the water using three squares of movement.

Mudpile: The mudpile on the northwest corner is solid, but slippery. Anyone that start their turn on the mudpile should make an Acrobatics check (DC 10) or be knocked prone and slid outside the mudpile.

Treasure

This encounter is worthy 700 XP. It used a 750 budget, but gives out less because the Giant Frog might not be involved since round 1.
    Last edited by nibel; 10-11-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Default Redemption (inside)

Setup

The encounter takes place inside the old cannith manufactury. The water pit is initially covered with a forcefield. The PCs will have enough time to talk to Lars Heyton and Amalgam in the right corner of the map before the barrier suddenly breaks and the combat start. The bullywugs have a surprise round, that they'll use to position themselves in the above positions without risk of AoO. Any player that was above the forcefield that covered the water pit will fall on the water. If he or she was adjacent to solid ground, he or she can do a Saving Throw to shift 1 square before the barrier breaks.

I highly recommend a reading on Aquatic Combat (Rules Compendium, pg 255) before running this encounter. Fighting on water will give the bullywugs a big advantage they didn't had on all combats thus far.

Tactics

The bullywugs' objective is simple: Kill Lars Heyton. For that, they don't need to actually kill the PCs, only throw them off the way.

The Lassoer and the Necromancer will try their best to throw any melee PC in the water, where the Puller will keep them still. Once two PCs are on the water, the Lassoers and Croakers will provoke AoO and charge against Amalgam. The Necromancer will keep pulling the PCs into the water.

The croakers who climbed the left side will focus on ranged attacks, giving preference to PCs in the water.

Not shown on map, Lars stay on his corner, apparently trying to detect something in the air. Amalgam will stay adjacent to him, and only attack if a bullywug comes adjacent.

• Lars Heyton has 27 HP, AC 14, Fort 12, Ref 12 and Will 16. He has a single Curative Admixture that he intend to use on Amalgam in a pinch.
    • Amalgam has 39 HP, AC 20, Fort 16, Ref 16, Will 17, and a Longsword basic attack (+8 vs. AC; 1d8+4 damage + mark until EoNT)

Features of the area

Illumination: Despite turning the energy of the manufactury off, this room has emergency reserves, and thus the area is on bright light. The ceiling is four squares high. The water pit below 5 squares deep is in total darkness.

Water Pit: A long time ago, this pit was used to throw waste outside the building. Not the tunnels are flooded. Swimming on this water requires an Athletics roll (DC 10) for non-aquatic creatures, and the pit is 10 squares deep. Any creature under the water line has Concealment, and any creature below 5 squares, has total concealment for being in darkness.

Bookcases: Each bookcase can be dropped with a Strength roll (Standard action, DC 15). If done, it will make a Close Blast 2 attack (+8 vs. Reflex, all creatures in the area: Targets takes 2d10+5 damage and is knocked prone). This attack can hit the person pulling the bookcase if they are in the area.

Treasure

If Lars Heyton survives the encounter, he rewards the group with a magic item treasure parcel (In my table, it was a Belt of Vigor (heroic)).

This encounter is worthy 800 XP.

Bullywug Lassoer

Level 2 Skirmisher, Medium natural humanoid (aquatic), 125 XP
    HP 34, Initiative +7, AC 17, Fort 16, Ref 14, Will 15
    Speed 6 (swim 5), Perception +3, Athletics +8
    Str 14, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Chaotic Evil, speaks Primordial

Traits: Rancid Air, Aquatic, Swamp Walk, Nature's Release (see the bullywug block for those)
    Flail: (Basic, Melee 1, one creature) +8 vs. AC; Hit: 1d8+3 damage.
    Javelin: (Basic, Ranged 10/20, one creature) +7 vs. AC; Hit: 1d6+3 damage.
    Hit and Ensnare: (Melee 1, one creature, Recharge 5-6) +8 vs. AC; Hit: 2d8+3 damage, and the target is grabbed (DC 17 to escape)
    Throw Enemy: (Minor Action, Melee 1, one grabbed creature) +6 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 1d8+3 damage, you slide the target 4 squares, and the grab ends. Miss: You slide the target 1 square and the grab ends.

Equipment: Leather armor, Flail, Javelin (x3).
    Last edited by nibel; 10-16-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Default Sacrifices (Prison)

Setup

The encounter takes place inside the old cannith aqueduct. The bullywugs have rearranged the place to work as a large prison. They are not expecting the PCs, and it will be easy to setup a surprise round (Stealth DC 8). The two bridges are mutually exclusive: When one is up, the other is down. The combat start with the left bridge raised up. The PCs will not perceive the Evil Cultist or the Giant Frog easily (Perception DC 18 for the frog, 20 for the cultist). The prisoners will not help in the combat even if they are released.

The PCs can start in any place within the purple square marked on the map.

I highly recommend a reading on Aquatic Combat (Rules Compendium, pg 255) before running this encounter. Fighting on water will give the bullywugs a big advantage they didn't had on all combats thus far.

Tactics

As soon as the combat starts and the surprise round is finished, one of the bullywugs will point and call one of the archers to "go alert the boss" (in Primordial). The PCs have the chance to take the archer down before he escapes. They will not point another archer to do the same regardless of his success escaping.

The Archers will stay as far away from melee as possible, and will shoot anyone engaged with a bullywug for extra damage. They fight to the death.

The Evil Cultist will use the first round trying to push the boxes to knock one or two PCs into the water. If he fails, he will keep trying as long as no more than three people cross the bridge. If there is two or more PCs over the bridge on the right, he will pull the lever and switch the bridge positions, knocking everyone over the bridge in the water.

The bullywugs engage in melee combat as usual. If a PC is knocked in the water, they'll jump down and group against that PC.

The frog will try to pull the first PC that comes in a ledge where it can see them. As long as it keeps a character swallowed, it will no longer engage the other PCs.

Features of the area

Illumination: The area is on bright light. The ceiling is four squares high.

Water: The line of water is 3 squares from the ledges, and is two squares deep. Swimming on this water requires an Athletics roll (DC 10) for non-aquatic creatures. Any creature under the water line has Concealment.

Bridges: Both bridges work with a weight system that allow one of the bridges to be constantly up, and the other to be down, and working as a bridge. There are two levers in the area. Both have the same function: They switch the bridges position. Using the lever is a minor action that requires a free hand. The combat start with the left bridge raised up. When the bridges switch positions, every character that is on the bridge will be dropped on the water. They are allowed a Saving Throw only if they are adjacent to a ledge square. Success means they can move 1 square as a free action before the bridge moves.

Boxes: Left from the entrance there are two big boxes piled up. You can topple them with a Standard Action (Strength check DC 12) to make a Close Blast 3 attack (+5 vs. Reflex, 3d6+5 damage and the target is pushed to a square adjacent, but outside of the area of the attack). The boxes are made of wood and will burn if they are targeted with a Fire attack (disappear two rounds later, their attack now deal fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage to the target)

Treasure

This encounter is worthy 700 XP.
    Last edited by nibel; 10-31-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

It's very interesting but I have to ask why 4E and not one of the editions that much better?

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    It's very interesting but I have to ask why 4E and not one of the editions that much better?

(I'll take a guess at it, tho I share the opinion of 4E...)

What I know of 4E, it is set up to focus on the details of action combat, with a board-game-like setup. To translate an MMO type game to a PnP game, I could see 4E as a viable option.

That said, I'll also say I've enjoyed the scenario write-ups.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Default Sacrifices (High Security Cells)

Setup

This map formation presumes the archer in the previous encounter succeed in alerting "the boss" (Rhix Fyl, in this case). If the PCs took care of him before he could escape, change their positions to be more natural. The intention on the current setup was to allow all of them to have line of sight to the only entrance on the room.

Rhix Fyl have successfully finished the ritual he needed the kidnapped villagers, and are in the process to tame his new pet inside the big cell. The PCs can hear the conversation between Rhix and his personal bodyguard (the Lassoer), but will not see the monster until they walk into the north part of the map. They will talk (in Primordial) about how he intend to throw the beast into the PCs, and the lassoer will beg him to not do that, that he and his soldiers can take care of everything without risking it going berserk.

The encounter takes place further inside the old Cannith aqueduct. The bullywugs made an obvious ambush on the door, placing a thin wooden door at the entrance. If the PCs approach with caution (Stealth DC 12), they can actually peek through the wood to see the ambush on the other side.

The PCs can start anywhere inside the purple square. As soon as the first person enter the room, he or she will be the target of the readied actions of every minion that has a ranged attack in the room. If the PCs find a way to break the door with an attack with a range larger than 1 (Eg, a Polearm or a Thunderstone) the minions on the other side will attack an empty space and lose their surprise round.

Tactics

Rhix Fyl is annoyed that the PCs reached him, and will move to the lever that opens the cell with the giant beast. He will not join the fray before releasing the monster. He will release the monster on his turn (with a Minor action) if more than 10 minions are killed, or if any PC attacks him. After that, he will move out of the way, and provide support to the giant bullywug, prioritizing attacks on ranged PCs to move them near the beast. He will only use his staff if forced into melee. In the case the beast is killed before him, he will try his best to escape. He will consider surrendering if the PCs looks like the forgiving type, or offer him that option.

The Archers will stand in the elevated platform and shot anyone engaged in melee. The Cultists will try to set up flanks, and stay engaged as long as possible in the chance they can trigger Unholy Vigor. They will fight to the death and not retreat when the beast is released.

The Croakers will join the fray and fight to their best, but will not flank unless it is by coincidence the most direct path. If any of them is alive when the beast is released, they will retreat.

The Lassoer will attack at range, trying to argue with Rhix all the time (in Primordial). Just like the croakers, if the beast is released, he will warn the players that the beast is dangerous (also in primordial, hoping any of them understand), and retreat. However, if in the way to escape any PC attempt an AoO against him, he will stop and keep fighting.

The Giant Bullywug is an irrational beast that will attack the closest creature to him in every round. If more than one enemy is adjacent, it will use Stench Bomb. He do not distinguish friend from foe, except by Rhix (that has a flimsy control over the creature). It will fight to the death.

Features of the area

Illumination: The area is in bright light. The ceiling is five squares high.

Raised Ground: The area between the pillars is raised 1 square high. This is enough for ranged attacks originated there to avoid cover provided by other enemies. Climbing up on that area requires an Athletics check (DC 8, failing means you still climb up, but your movement ends), and being pushed out of it do not deal falling damage.

Treasure

Rhix Fyl carry two treasure parcels: One monetary and one magic item. If the magic item have any special property, remember to add that to his stats. (In my table, it was 150 po in Residuum, and an Amulet of Life +1).

This encounter is worthy 800 XP.

Giant Bullywug

Level 3 elite Brute, Large natural humanoid (aquatic), 300 XP
    HP 151, Initiative +3, AC 16, Fort 15, Ref 18, Will 11
    Speed 6 (swim 8), Perception +4, Athletics +13
    Str 24, Con 18, Dex 15, Int 4, Wis 6, Cha 3
    Chaotic Evil, understand Common and Primordial

Traits: Rancid Air, Aquatic, Swamp Walk, Nature's Release (see any bullywug block for those)
    Claw: (Basic, Melee 1, one creature) +8 vs. AC; Hit: 1d10+8 damage. If the target is bloodied, this attack deals an extra 1d6 damage.
    Double Slap: (Melee 1, one or two creatures) The Giant Bullywug makes two Claw attacks
    Stench Bomb: (Close Burst 1, all creatures, Recharge 6) +6 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 2d6+6 poison damage and the target is pushed 1 square.
    Sting Tongue: (Minor Action, Melee 3, one creature) +6 v. Reflex; 1d6+7 damage and the target is pulled 2 squares and knocked prone.
    Reactive Gulp: (Immediate Reaction, Melee 1, one creature) Trigger: The Giant Bullywug becomes bloodied for the first time in the encounter; +6 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 2d10+6 damage and the target is stunned until the end of the bullywug's next turn; Effect: The target is swallowed. They can only escape after the giant bullywug dies. While the target is swallowed, it takes 5 acid damage at the start of each of his or her turns.

Equipment: Nothing.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    (I'll take a guess at it, tho I share the opinion of 4E...)

What I know of 4E, it is set up to focus on the details of action combat, with a board-game-like setup. To translate an MMO type game to a PnP game, I could see 4E as a viable option.

That said, I'll also say I've enjoyed the scenario write-ups.
    I tried running it for 2 years and even did 2 game days for WOTC which they provided a lot of support in materials and swag to pass out tof people who showed up to my mini cons but I still couldn't warm up to the system in the end 12 of us had an old fashioned book burning and burned a nice pile of 4E books as far as d&d is concerned I prefer 1&2 edition then 3.5 and finally 5e.

I was curious because ddo is based on 3.5 why not use it. I knew a gm who ran his game for a while that way and even used the enhancement system he got as far as gianthold before he joined a new church and decided gaming, rock music and some of his friends were evil

Beware the Sleepeater

1) I like 4e because I think they have a greater potential for tactical encounters than any other edition. I know lots of people don't like 4e specifically because it focus more on combat than every other edition, but I like it exactly for that reason.

2) It allow me to direct link official sources both via D&D Insider (for those who still pay for it) and DriveThruRPG (for those who want to buy the source material). 3e have resources too scattered around, and 5e can't be bought legally in digital format yet.

3) I try to keep descriptions as system neutral as it is possible. I also try to write it up in a manner that makes adapt it to your table much easier than starting from scratch.
    Last edited by nibel; 11-02-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Default Misery's Peak (Entrance)

Setup

The group is about to start their attack at the dragon's lair in Misery's Peak. For that, their first mission is to defeat the guards at the side entrance. The Ritualists are the last dominated villagers the villain has under his control, but not the elves. Those are bloody pirates that deserted from Aerenal and got a promise of gold after the island get wiped.

While it would be possible to negotiate with the elves, the ritualists will stay loyal (as expected) and not allow any negotiation even start. If the group defeat all ritualists without dealing damage to any of the elves, they'll notice and will ask for a truce. Otherwise, they'll keep fighting while they believe they have a chance of victory.

The PCs can start anywhere inside the purple square. They can achieve a surprise round if they are quiet and don't talk too much (Stealth DC 19).

Tactics

The Archer will use the crooked walls of the cavern as cover while trying to move from one side to the other every turn, to benefit from her Archer's Mobility trait. She will save her Elven Accuracy power for Not So Close, or the first attack she miss after getting bloodied.

The Fleet-foot will start the combat hidden in the corner (Passive Perception 14 to notice him) and will use Evasive Strike as its opener. He will not save his Elven Accuracy, and will use when he miss for the first time on the combat.

The Assassins will work together to focus in a single target. When they becomes bloodied, they'll shift away if they are not marked, and change tactics to use the Bone Bow. They will save the Elven Accuracy for when using Razor Flurry and missing specifically the second attack.

All elves will surrender if they are outnumbered. Bloodied enemies do not count on this limit (Eg, if there are 2 elves standing against five PCs, but only one PC is not bloodied, they will not surrender)

The Ritualists will engage as soon as possible, and shift every time they can set a flank. They will fight to the death.

Features of the area

Illumination: The area is in bright light. The ceiling is ten squares high.

Icy Ground: This area is very slippery, and everyone entering the first square of ice during his or her turn have to make an Acrobatics check (DC 12), or be knocked prone, and then move in a straight line in the direction they entered the ice square, until they enter a non-ice square (this movement provokes AoO). They turn immediately ends on a failed check as well. Any creature with Ice Walk or similar traits don't have to make this check.

Treasure

The Assassins carry a monetary parcel. (In my table, it was 70 po and two Potions of Cold Resistance 5).

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    1) I like 4e because I think they have a greater potential for tactical encounters than any other edition. I know lots of people don't like 4e specifically because it focus more on combat than every other edition, but I like it exactly for that reason.

2) It allow me to direct link official sources both via D&D Insider (for those who still pay for it) and DriveThruRPG (for those who want to buy the source material). 3e have resources too scattered around, and 5e can't be bought legally in digital format yet.

3) I try to keep descriptions as system neutral as it is possible. I also try to write it up in a manner that makes adapt it to your table much easier than starting from scratch.
    Ok makes sense and I am not any bigger fan of 5th than 4E to much power creep for me really played both at a con this weekend and 5th still seems like d&d on crack with a 6th level rogue doing constant backstab damage of a pretty high number.

4E I never liked since it seems there is little real options for true custmizaiton one 5th level fighter will look nearly identical to any other one.

enjoyng your write ups though and always looking forward to the next one.

Beware the Sleepeater

Default Misery's Peak (Ice Bridge)

Setup

(This area is supposed to cover the quest zone where you have to kill some frozen zombies to step on the rune in the ground, that will light the pillar on the center, and open a cave with some levers. For story reasons why the group had to climb up, check my campaign journal entry for this session.)

The group is climbing up to reach the runed pillar on the top of the cavern, when suddenly a bunch of frost creatures raise from the ice itself, and attack the group. Their intention is to protect the pillar, and they will not chase any PC that choose to run away, or jump the bridge to escape.

The PCs can start anywhere inside the purple square. They will always start surrounded, but they raise slow enough from the ice to not get a surprise round against them.

Tactics

All monsters will fight to the death. They will never give chase to any PC that moves outside the bridge (but will use ranged attacks if they keep attacking), and while they speak Primordial, they are bound by summon magic to protect the pillar, and thus, can't negotiate with the party.

Both Raiders will engage the two first melee-oriented character each can reach. Their intention is to keep them stuck in place with Ice Embrace, while the others get more freedom to choose they targets.

The Icicle Hurlers will stand on their grounds (unless forced) and use Icicle Storm every round it recharge (They don't mind hitting allies, since they all are resistance to cold damage), hitting as many PCs as they can. Otherwise, they'll focus on the enemy engaged with the Raider that is closest to them.

The Shardlings will prefer to set up flanks with the Raiders, only using its ranged attack if they have no option left.

The Mephit will not appear from the bridge, but from the ceiling. Any PC with Passive Perception 18 or higher can see the Mephit before it acts. It will stay outside of Melee range, alternating Freezing Blast and Frost Dagger. A party with 3 or more decent ranged PCs can handle a standard Mephit (Ie, you don't need to downgrade it 2 levels).

The Crystal Spider will spawn form the bridge, but under it. The spider will appear on its turn walking from below the bridge and use Radiant Agony. Starting on the second turn, it will start a hit and run strategy, attacking and hiding below the bridge, where the PCs can't hit her.

Features of the area

Illumination: The area is in bright light. The ceiling is ten squares high. Falling from the bridge deals 5d10 falling damage, and the character takes 5 minutes (50 turns) to walk back to the bridge.

Treasure

This encounter awards one (ice-themed) Magic Item parcel. (In my table, the warden adapted the Crystal Spider's legs into a Frost Craghammer)

This encounter is worthy 1000 XP.

Community Member

This is a matter of opinion often harked by those who hardly gave it a chance. If you ask me 5E is trash.. an even more boring re-re-re-hash of 3rd? OH BOY.

4th finally gave 'oomph' to characters that never had it, and it had a dazzling array of options and choices with paragons, racial paragons, specializations, the choices between progression, etc. It was really well done, but as usual the "wah wah 3.5 is a divine gift and nothing is ever better" crowd didn't give it a fair chance especially when somehow it was "WoW like." I'm not sure where that idea even came from, since, y'know.. games had abilities and specializations long before WoW existed.

4E made combat fun and interesting for *all* player characters. It encouraged combining classes and abilities in an awesome way. It fixed the horridly broken multiclass we've had since 3rd (maybe that's why people on DDO don't like it, they want their 12/3/5 broken builds?) There was no damage done to the RP side of things, people just apparently forgot that it's tabletop and it's up to you to handle that stuff.

Anyways, to OP's hard work, it looks GREAT. I wish I still had my group together to play because these are awesomely well done. Ignore the 4E haters that probably never played it. If you like the edition then go for it!

Default Misery's Peak (Archer Ambush)

Setup

(This area is supposed to cover the quest zone where you see the dragon walking under your, in a cave within the ice. Also, because my players chose to disable the Risia pillar, the pirates were aware of the invasion, and prepared this ambush.)

The group is walking through the icy cavern from south to north, when they notice a path going up on the sideways of the cliff. Above them, they can see two frozen stone bridges. If they are looking for ambushes, the place is obviously a good point for that. The elves are good at hiding, and since they are prepared, they are wearing camouflaged cloaks and laying on the ground, giving a huge bonus to their stealth check (Passive Perception 20 to notice them). Their intention is to wait until they either start to climb the first walkway, or they gather at the center, where the archers positioned in all four walls can have clear view to them.

The PCs can start anywhere inside the purple square, unless they are really suspicious of the ambush. In this case, use their suggestions to determine their initial positions. Anyone directly under the bridges on north and south can't be targeted by archers on that bridge (and vice-versa). While climbing the ramps on the left and right, they have cover against the archers at the same side as them (and vice-versa).

Tactics

The Archers will stand their grounds and fire at a random non-bloodied target. They don't focus fire because the captain ordered them to "draw blood", so only after every PC is bloodied they will start to focus fire to kill. They will only move if engaged in melee.

The Sniper will stay hidden for as long as he can, and will focus his shots at high-priority targets, like controllers and leaders. Maybe a striker, if he or she is being specially problematic. He will save his Elven Accuracy for his Blackleaf Arrow's attack, to make sure the poison will kick in.

Captain Ninrothar is a very strong and muscular elf, and only maintain control of his crew by sheer intimidation and feats of strength. Once he engages, he will order the nearest archers to join him on melee so that they can die for his fleeting tactical advantage. Once he is bloodied, he will use his Action Point to drink an elixir of dragon breath (reflavoring of Anise's Destabilizing Breath attack) if he can hit at least two PCs with it.

If the Sniper and the Captain are defeated, all remaining archers will immediately surrender. They won't guide them to the yuan-ti, and they don't know much to answer the PC's questions (the captain was the one involved with the yuan-ti), but they'll not oppose the party to take away their gold and gear, as long as they can flee.

Features of the area

Illumination: The area is in bright light. The ceiling is twelve squares high. The bridges are 5 squares above the ground. The ramps raise one square in height every two squares in extension.

Rock Border: The left and right side of the path is on rough rocks instead of slippery ice. This means it is easy to climb them (DC 8 instead of 12), and any creature pushed beyond the border have a +2 bonus on the saving throw to avoid falling.

Treasure

Captain Nimrothar carry a monetary parcel. (In my table it was 80 gp and an Elixir of Dragon Breath that Ninrothar probably used on them)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast