Default Has Turbine abandoned the mac client?

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue but I crash probably every 30 minutes. I dont know how i have been playing on the mac client since its release but I will be no longer. It is the most frustrating thing about the mac client. Im in quest/raid and all of the sudden the game decides its done and closes with no clear culprit. This annoying on so many levels: loss of temporary buffs, loss of blitz, running to catch up to everyone, usually death if you had aggro of some enemy, loss of hotkeys made during that play time and losses in sound settings made during that play time. This, coupled with the black walls bug, the inability to change brightness/contrast and the damage roll numbers not showing full values. I know there are fixes to most these but they interrupt my gameplay. I play ddo because enjoy it and interruptions in gameplay make it very unenjoyable.

I have stayed with client this long because:
    It looks better then the windows client
    It runs more smoothly in terms of frame rate
    I have access to all my music and other mac based programs

I havent seen any devs responding to issues with the mac client, which makes me believe they just dont care.

Anyway, I bid my mac client a farewell until these are fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by MousePointer View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue but I crash probably every 30 minutes. I dont know how i have been playing on the mac client since its release but I will be no longer. It is the most frustrating thing about the mac client. Im in quest/raid and all of the sudden the game decides its done and closes with no clear culprit. This annoying on so many levels: loss of temporary buffs, loss of blitz, running to catch up to everyone, usually death if you had aggro of some enemy, loss of hotkeys made during that play time and losses in sound settings made during that play time. This, coupled with the black walls bug, the inability to change brightness/contrast and the damage roll numbers not showing full values. I know there are fixes to most these but they interrupt my gameplay. I play ddo because enjoy it and interruptions in gameplay make it very unenjoyable.

I have stayed with client this long because:
    It looks better then the windows client
    It runs more smoothly in terms of frame rate
    I have access to all my music and other mac based programs

I havent seen any devs responding to issues with the mac client, which makes me believe they just dont care.

Anyway, I bid my mac client a farewell until these are fixed.
    There are two answers here -- First - Yes, the LOTRO Mac Client has had these same issues since the beta of the most recent update (Update 16 - Ashes of Osgiliath - May 4, 2015). At the beginning of the beta, MTBF was only 3-5 minutes. At release it expanded to 30-90. Windows players have been complaining of the same problems.

Last week's update (11 June) was hoped to address that problem, but it did not.

The second thing is -- Yes, right now, Turbine has no Mac programmers on staff. This has been true since at least mid-April 2015 when Frelon admitted it in the LOTRO Mac Support forum.
    Will that change now that IC has been terminated? No one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    There are two answers here -- First - Yes, the LOTRO Mac Client has had these same issues since the beta of the most recent update (Update 16 - Ashes of Osgiliath - May 4, 2015). At the beginning of the beta, MTBF was only 3-5 minutes. At release it expanded to 30-90. Windows players have been complaining of the same problems.

Last week's update (11 June) was hoped to address that problem, but it did not.

The second thing is -- Yes, right now, Turbine has no Mac programmers on staff. This has been true since at least mid-April 2015 when Frelon admitted it in the LOTRO Mac Support forum.
    Will that change now that IC has been terminated? No one knows.
    So what? Are you abandoning your MAC customers? I am also a MAC customer and enjoy my childhood game of D&D that DDO emulates to some degree. While I appreciate your honest, no-spin response, you left us with little hope. Moreover, little reason to invest in future game play once the incompatibility becomes to much and the game unplayable. Please clarify your intent. Are you scraping your MAC support? I would like know before I invest any more money.

Respectfully Yours,
    The Shadow Sage of Nusemne

(LYCEUM OF SHADOW): "ONLY FOOLS CALL THE SHADOW EVIL"

hard to abandon them when they were never embraced.

Mac gaming is like puppy cuddliness..

PC are like..

Mac's are..
    Last edited by JOTMON; 06-17-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 34/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 12/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 116/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/45 , RC 25/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 75/158)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 111/158)

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    hard to abandon them when they were never embraced.

Mac gaming is like puppy cuddliness..

PC are like..

Mac's are..
    Come into the light JOTMON. Mac systems bring freedom and power. Besides even with these inconveniences, the game looks and plays better. It is just that MAC perfection in both hardware and software making it ideal for DDO. Turbine should embrace the support MAC gamers bring. I cannot imagine playing DDO on a Windows subpar system

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Yeah they decided to concentrate on real computers

I miss the old days when my group use to make fun of Apple, PC and Atari comuters.

AMIGA RULED!

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Pnumbra View Post
    So what? Are you abandoning your MAC customers? I am also a MAC customer and enjoy my childhood game of D&D that DDO emulates to some degree. While I appreciate your honest, no-spin response, you left us with little hope. Moreover, little reason to invest in future game play once the incompatibility becomes to much and the game unplayable. Please clarify your intent. Are you scraping your MAC support? I would like know before I invest any more money.

Respectfully Yours,
    Why are you asking Valamar these questions? He doesn't know. He's a player like you and me. He's NOT a Turbine employee.
    Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Yeah they decided to concentrate on real computers

I miss the old days when my group use to make fun of Apple, PC and Atari comuters.

AMIGA RULED!
    All hail the Commodore 64/128. Epic computer systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Howe View Post
    Why are you asking Valamar these questions? He doesn't know. He's a player like you and me. He's NOT a Turbine employee.
    Doh! I saw founder under his name made a bad assumption. I hate it when people speak for Turbine...my bad. Thanks for the reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnumbra View Post
    Doh! I saw founder under his name made a bad assumption. I hate it when people speak for Turbine...my bad. Thanks for the reality check.
    No problem.
    Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.

Community Member

Standing Stone games now owns DDO, not Turbine. But yes, the Mac client is gone. There are options to run it via WINE, which is what the client for Mac attempts. For many it woks. For me, it did not. I had to use the Windows client in Crossover (which configures WINE) or use a Parallels VM. (which does have decent performance, but you lose out in graphics)

In Crossover/WINE, the performance is decent, though the graphics will take a hit. But not a really bad one.