Thread: Dwarven Axes

Default Dwarven Axes

Dwarf Ax: "This axe is too large to be used in one hand without the special training that all dwarven warriors receive."

I would love to see Dwarven Axes live up to their name and description. The in game graphics really don't look all that large - no larger than the Battle Axe that anyone with martial weapons can us.

But my main issue with Dwarven Axes is they are not a great weapon for Dwarves to use. They are not much better than the plain old battle axe - slightly larger damage die and the ability to do glancing blows. But honestly glancing blows aren't that much of a gain unless you take the two handed chain of feats. and if you gonna do that, you are better off using a great axe. Otherwise, if you want to use a shield, you really need to take the shield chain of feats as well and that's a lot of feats, especially for a Dwarven Paly.

Some changes I think are needed for the Dwarven axe:

1. Give Dwarves a deity that improves their ability to use their Race's signature weapon
    2. Give the Dwarven Axe 19-20 crit range - its supposed to be a big weapon! - if that seems over powered since it has a d10 die, the die could be reduced to d8, but personally, I think it should be d10. It is a special weapon, after all.
    Sarlona Server - Augon, Vitrin, Allaric, Taheghi, Dhakenshaup, Diviciacus, Loukus, Mehujael, Phreddd, Talaun, Zhugeliangg

Officer of The Wulfepack - "If you call one wolf, you invite the Pack"
    Visit http://thewulfepack.shivtr.com/

The mistakes of a fighter are the scars on his face.
    The mistakes of a rogue are still locked in their place.
    The mistakes of a mage were destroyed with a boom.
    And the mistakes of a Cleric are lying in a tomb.

They are by far my favorite weapon i use them on non dwarf characters too. I'm not sure i agree with you on how they match up against other weapons ... i wouldn't mind more eye pleasing/bigger skins for the them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    They are by far my favorite weapon i use them on non dwarf characters too. I'm not sure i agree with you on how they match up against other weapons ... i wouldn't mind more eye pleasing/bigger skins for the them though.
    Really?
    You use a feat slot to use a dwarf axe instead of a khopesh or Bsword? That surprises me. Is that just for flavor or do you feel you get more damage? I don't see how either one can do less damage than a Dwarf axe to anything that isn't immune to crits since they both have twice the crit range of the Dwarf axe. Ive used all three, although on different characters, and I feel the khops are much more damaging than Dwarf axes. It seems to me Khops and Bswords are rather similar. While Lam is up the next couple of weeks I may roll up a fighter and test the three weapons for myself.

As an aside, the chart I found that lists the stats of the basic weapons lists Dwarf axes as weighing 8 pounds and Khopesh swords weighing 12 pounds. I never thought of a khop being that big. They apparently weigh the same as Great Axes. that's odd.

thanks for your thoughts, though.
    Sarlona Server - Augon, Vitrin, Allaric, Taheghi, Dhakenshaup, Diviciacus, Loukus, Mehujael, Phreddd, Talaun, Zhugeliangg

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default For real!

Quote Originally Posted by VCB View Post
    Really?
    You use a feat slot to use a dwarf axe instead of a khopesh or Bsword? That surprises me. Is that just for flavor or do you feel you get more damage? I don't see how either one can do less damage than a Dwarf axe to anything that isn't immune to crits since they both have twice the crit range of the Dwarf axe. Ive used all three, although on different characters, and I feel the khops are much more damaging than Dwarf axes. It seems to me Khops and Bswords are rather similar. While Lam is up the next couple of weeks I may roll up a fighter and test the three weapons for myself.

As an aside, the chart I found that lists the stats of the basic weapons lists Dwarf axes as weighing 8 pounds and Khopesh swords weighing 12 pounds. I never thought of a khop being that big. They apparently weigh the same as Great Axes. that's odd.

thanks for your thoughts, though.
    I love me some dwarven ax. Of course some of use don't us a feat, or are proficient with them. This one makes a nice spell stick and with the Libram/ I can do several caster like set-ups for certain quests:

Better yet love me Golden Ax. Wish there was an arcade around here.

For melee I use a Nightmare (a fully upgraded and bedazzled bastard sword).
    Last edited by Livmo; 05-29-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    I love me some dwarven ax. Of course some of use don't us a feat, or are proficient with them. This one makes a nice spell stick and with the Libram/ I can do several caster like set-ups for certain quests:
    I see your point here, but that really has little to do with it being a Dwarven Axe - in a caster's hand, that's just a scepter with a blade.

I am going to see though. I TRd my dwarf into a Paladin and I'm going give him a go with Dwarven Axes. In his Cleric life he acquired a few decent heroic ones, including about 6 or 7 HE mountain fists and a couple GS. And the day before he TRd my wiz pulled a Duergar Axe of the Weapon master from Rusty Blades. I still feel they should be better, but maybe I will see that they are just fine.

Thanks for the replies folks