Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

So yesterday I took my level 6 Warlock -- Fey Pact, Enlightened Spirit enhancements -- into Searing Heights to try some things out. For this go around, I decided to turn the aura off and to use the (sonic) Blast instead. Wow, what a difference!

With the Aura, I was using Master's Touch and a greatsword and it seemed like the aura wasn't doing all that much damage and I had to do most of the work with the sword. With the Blast, however, I could pew pew things from a difference and most everything seemed to go down much more quickly -- and because it was from a distance I wasn't really taking all that much damage, except from things like archers. I have never played a ranged character before, so maybe I don't have the right frame of comparison and all ranged combat is like this, but the actual Eldritch Blast just seemed much more powerful than the Aura. I don't have any concrete numbers to back this up, but that is how it felt to me.

This is kind of disappointing, actually, because I wanted to like the Aura. Maybe it will be tweaked. I also don't know how effective the Blasts will be in quests like TOEE where you tend to get swarmed and surrounded by tons of enemies in tight quarters. Perhaps they are perfect thing for slayer areas, where you can get long line of sight to enemies before they are upon you. Another worry is that perhaps the Blast will get kind of boring after a while -- the constant pew pew made me feel a bit like a one-trick pony (my spells at level 6 are hardly worth anything, to be sure, and I can't use my weapon while Blasting).

Looking forward to the next build on Lamannia.

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    So yesterday I took my level 6 Warlock -- Fey Pact, Enlightened Spirit enhancements -- into Searing Heights to try some things out. For this go around, I decided to turn the aura off and to use the (sonic) Blast instead. Wow, what a difference!

With the Aura, I was using Master's Touch and a greatsword and it seemed like the aura wasn't doing all that much damage and I had to do most of the work with the sword. With the Blast, however, I could pew pew things from a difference and most everything seemed to go down much more quickly -- and because it was from a distance I wasn't really taking all that much damage, except from things like archers. I have never played a ranged character before, so maybe I don't have the right frame of comparison and all ranged combat is like this, but the actual Eldritch Blast just seemed much more powerful than the Aura. I don't have any concrete numbers to back this up, but that is how it felt to me.

This is kind of disappointing, actually, because I wanted to like the Aura. Maybe it will be tweaked. I also don't know how effective the Blasts will be in quests like TOEE where you tend to get swarmed and surrounded by tons of enemies in tight quarters. Perhaps they are perfect thing for slayer areas, where you can get long line of sight to enemies before they are upon you. Another worry is that perhaps the Blast will get kind of boring after a while -- the constant pew pew made me feel a bit like a one-trick pony (my spells at level 6 are hardly worth anything, to be sure, and I can't use my weapon while Blasting).

Looking forward to the next build on Lamannia.
    The aura feels very weak low levels, it picks up around lv 12 or so when it ticks faster. Though considering that it is AE dmg 10yds or so around you without a max number of targets it's understandable

Quote Originally Posted by Mast3rR0b View Post
    CHA to hit/dmg would surely be useful, but not mandatory in any way.

If you go the melee route, you are already kind of forgetting DC casting, so your CHA is only good for spell points. If you splash some Paladin level on a Warlock (and by this i mean something like 4 levels at most), CHA gets good for Saving Throws and for Divine Might. Actually you can get DM on any divine, so a STR based build with CHA second should be good, in terms of base to-hit/dmg

If you go PDK you get CHA to-hit/dmg, but have to trade your capstone for two(probably) fighter levels, which means more feats for you.

Honestly i believe that pure 20 Warlock gets the short end of the stick, melee wise strictly speaking. What i envision pure melee Warlocks doing is being better at melee range MAGIC damage. Stronger EB ticks from the Aura, stronger light damage added to melee attacks and Aura. Thus, i'm still here suggesting amping the light damage from the Capstone. The actual capstone is REALLY nice and flavorful, i can't stress enough how much i like being the embodiment of an Enlightened Spirt, floating around and blasting energy from my sword. But, with current numbers, you can't compare with splashes.

What i'm saying is, don't make them deal the same weapon damage of a melee splash, make them do similar OVERALL damage, but in a different way, namely with enhanced light damage (and elemental overall).

So that players can have a choice of what would their melee experience be

In the end, i don't believe cha to-hit/dmg is the answer to redeem the tree. I actually fear that the devs would just add it and call it a day and think that then the tree would be good for melees, instead of better solutions. Please check the thread started by decease for other suggestions on the tree
    I completely agree with the concern of add cha to hit/dmg and done. I hope that devs will make the caster melee trees more stable for pure class chars. currently I find that the capstones in those trees are sub-par and the standard of med armor being the choice but not being viable in ee content annoying. swashbuckler was the first caster class melee tree that gave good stuff across the board for survivability and desire. enlighten has imho the coolest capstone yet. the tree has stuff that is cool and desirable but in implementation I am running in to issues being able to survive for long in ee content. I was thinking "oh, use unyielding to compensate for some weakness and twist in spell power and use orbs while swf to survive and it will work fine" the truth is that as an arti in the same destiny swf I am far more stable and survivable. I am hoping that there will be a non tencers way to get full bab, and some consideration to adding pact dmg to weapon atk, even in a restricted fashion. also I would like to see some use for orbs, like while using orbs they act/are treated like a shield... this would potentially solve some of the survivability issues and keep the flavor of the class. p.s. please do not make this tree depend on multi classing to be viable... i.e. kensia

I messed around with the tree a bit on Lammannia this weekend, trying out 2 versions of the same build 14 Warlock and 6 Fighter and 6 Paladin, Purple Dragon Knight.

In theory, this tree lends its self well to a tank-like build [I used Vanguard for the shield stuff], the aura and bursts look really good for maintaining aggro, with a bit of self healing as well [especially with the paladin build].

But in practice, this fell well short of expectations.

1) Low HP - Hit points seemed low, even fully geared (high 300's at level 20). I seem to remember reading that Warlocks were getting d4, instead of d6. That only gives another 28 hp or so, probably still too few for EE content. Would be nice to see some ways to get a HP boost in this tree.

2) Aura - I don't know if it is targeting or what, but the aura just doesn't seem to work nearly as well as a regular Eldritch Blast. I understand that the lack in damage is supposed to be made up by me swinging my weapon [on in this case, a shield]. Even using CHA to damage [and dumping strength!], didn't help make up for the lack of the aura's damage. I think the speed of aura, especially at the higher levels is fine, but it needs more damage.

3) Spirit blast - I'd like to see a chance of blindness occur with this attack, seems like it would fit here.

I do like I was able to get some decent PRR and MRR with this build, I see potential tank builds here, but right now I feel like the build doesn't have enough DPS options to be fun.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Shape Vestments: When wearing medium armor, you only get the buff for light armor, even though the buff icon says +20hp/10mrr

Aura of Menace + Aura of Courage: Not really a bug, but annoying nevertheless. Every time you log in, you have to activate them again. This obviously can be changed, since the Aura of Menace from Favored Souls stays on.

Community Member

Definately feels like it could use cha to damage somewhere. I see 4 options.

1. As a feat
    2. As a spell similar to druid flame blade
    3. In the 6th or 12th level core.
    4. In the harper tree where you choose cha/int multiselector

Please don't make me roll a PDK as I can't stomach the way they look. I also don't want to feel like a total gimp standing next to one....

Community Member

Unhappy Spiritual Retribution

Jest tested on my 15monk/5warlock and the tier 4 enchancement Spiritual Retribution is yet another thing that doesn't work with handwraps/unarmed but work with other melee weapon. Is it intended like that and simply not written in the descrption? there is a lot of cool abilities that doesn't work unarmed and it's really sad...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345