Default Idea: 12 fighter/ 6 barbarian/ 2 FVS tank build

I had an ideia for a Tank fighter that can self heal and dont lose DPS/ defense.

12 Fighter for feats and core 1, 2, 3 and 4 vanguard and Stances on SD.
    6 barbarian for Tier 5 in Ocult Slayer (self heal and non rage DPS)
    2 FVS for more 10 PPR and DM.

That could work fine?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The obvious question is: what does this build offer you that, say, a pure pally Vanguard does not?

Pros:
    • 7 extra feats from ftr 12
    • Mana-less healing from One Spirit + temp HPs from Vampiric Bond + barb heal amp to boost survivability
    • Depending on AP spread, some DPS bonuses from barb which don't depend on Rage

Cons:
    • Severely AP-constrained: at a glance, you'd want 38 APs OS, 24+ APs VG, 13-24 APs SD, and 8 APs WP, which is 83 to 94 APs right off the bat, so...well, good luck with that.
    • One Spirit can only be used once every 15 secs - that can feel like a really long time when you're a tank...
    • Lose +10% atk speed & +5% doublestrike by not being pure VG; lose +10% doublestrike and crit bonuses from not having Zeal + Holy Sword. I'm pretty sure that's a bigger DPS loss than anything you're gaining from barb.

It's an interesting concept, but in practice I don't think it would work out too well. It could be a decent split for a ftr PL option, if you gave up on tanking and just did a straight DPS+some heals build: 38 APs OS, 23 APs Kensei, 4 APs WP, 14 APs FB (Supreme Cleave + Frenzy), 1 AP human (Dmg Boost).
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The obvious question is: what does this build offer you that, say, a pure pally Vanguard does not?

Pros:
    • 7 extra feats from ftr 12
    • Mana-less healing from One Spirit + temp HPs from Vampiric Bond + barb heal amp to boost survivability
    • Depending on AP spread, some DPS bonuses from barb which don't depend on Rage

Cons:
    • Severely AP-constrained: at a glance, you'd want 38 APs OS, 24+ APs VG, 13-24 APs SD, and 8 APs WP, which is 83 to 94 APs right off the bat, so...well, good luck with that.
    • One Spirit can only be used once every 15 secs - that can feel like a really long time when you're a tank...
    • Lose +10% atk speed & +5% doublestrike by not being pure VG; lose +10% doublestrike and crit bonuses from not having Zeal + Holy Sword. I'm pretty sure that's a bigger DPS loss than anything you're gaining from barb.

It's an interesting concept, but in practice I don't think it would work out too well. It could be a decent split for a ftr PL option, if you gave up on tanking and just did a straight DPS+some heals build: 38 APs OS, 23 APs Kensei, 4 APs WP, 14 APs FB (Supreme Cleave + Frenzy), 1 AP human (Dmg Boost).
    Thx for the reply (we can always count that you will help with tips). I dont want a pally tank (already did one). I am trying to make a fighter tank ( pure or multclass for more self heal)