Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pact sadness!

Quote Originally Posted by TakeItToTheLimit View Post
    5th edition pact options instead - Fiendish, Fey and Great Old One.
    This would be awesome and I think it's a great spread of flavors while keeping the options down to a low number, also some interesting destiny hooks here (Shiradi might be good for both Fey and Old ones)...

Great old ones... there's something DDO is missing. When I did the Devourer stuff in Korthos as a newb I naturally assumed this Cthulhu inspired story line would be a featured part of the main game... sadly underdeveloped... Love the Cthulhu mythos and even generic "great old one" inspired stuff hooks me in. Would love to see a Warlock option that is all about chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Not being familiar with Warlocks, I gotta say that these "Pacts" are very reminiscent of Clerical Domains.

So I would probably just forget the Pacts and do Warlocks without em....

Pretend they never existed.
    I see what you did there

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    There's two fire/evil pacts? Huh. News to me!

Hopefully you can be Enlightened: It's in the Spirit of DDO to give a bit more freedom in character building.
    Hmmm.. Interesting! I thought it had been hinted that we were getting angelic/demonic/infernal.. but if that's not true.. well that'd be just dandy keen. Considering the nature of both demonic and infernal I had kinda assumed they'd both lean towards a "necrotic/poison/fire/evil" feel, generally speaking, which felt kinda too similar to me to make the choice terribly interesting!

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TakeItToTheLimit View Post
    Fiendish, Fey and Great Old One.
    I'd say Xorian would be a decent replacement for "Great Old One", personally never really be a big fan of Fey, Fiendish is of course is a requirement for the stereotypical "Evil" Warlock I hope they add at least one Celestial Pact.

Actually speaking of pacts, this is Eberron, I hope there's a few oddball pacts, Eberron is supposed to be crazy (actually for that matter, Dev's any chance of Talentia lains being a thing sometime? I wan my T-rex Half-construct )

Ok, it's not quite this ridiculous but seriously look into Eberron Dinosaurs their really cool (ie. Battle Titans)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 05-11-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by losian2 View Post
    I was so very much hoping they'd go with the 4th edition base pacts.
    This really has to be the only time I have ever seen ANYTONE ask for anything, from that Edition that shall rename nameless...
    "Denn Die Toten Reiten Schnell"
    "For The Dead Travel Fast"

Quote Originally Posted by Draculetta View Post
    This really has to be the only time I have ever seen ANYTONE ask for anything, from that Edition that shall rename nameless...
    Sadly...4th edition wants come up fairly often. I mean it was meant to be video games on paper*, right?

*I paraphrased this from another poster...it's a really accurate description.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

I sure hope they aren't based on 4th ed.

Finally a pet class?
    Last edited by Seikojin; 05-12-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    I sure hope they aren't based on 4th ed.

Finally a pet class?
    There are two pet classes. Please come back to present day.

I'm all up and down for ideas but I believe we need to keep the Pact system a tad bit more vague because of iconics. Since they aren't from Eberron they wouldn't be able to take Eberron Pacts (same example is the Divine domains, with the iconics only be able to take Amaunator).
    Other than that I'm alright with whatever ideas that are brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    4E hate is overrated and boring.
    But well-founded and well-deserved.
    Last edited by ToastyFred; 05-12-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily View Post
    There are two pet classes. Please come back to present day.

I'm all up and down for ideas but I believe we need to keep the Pact system a tad bit more vague because of iconics. Since they aren't from Eberron they wouldn't be able to take Eberron Pacts (same example is the Divine domains, with the iconics only be able to take Amaunator).
    Go back and read my post. Iconics really don't need specific pacts they can generally use the same one due to the fact that Faerun has it's own version of just about everything else. I picked the four common pacts to adapt to DDO, unique things are nice to suggest, but they can easily share them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCookieQueen View Post
    Sadly...4th edition wants come up fairly often. I mean it was meant to be video games on paper*, right?

*I paraphrased this from another poster...it's a really accurate description.
    No it really isn't, as a person who actually played 4e that makes no sense...aside from the lack of multi-classing it still plays like DnD and it actually managed to solve the problem of low levels being **** for casters and high levels being **** for non-casters. Only reason I left was because the character creation was so limited, If it wasn't for that I could of dealt with some of the odder changes (ie. Renaming Aasimar -> Diva and making them purple-ish so weird)

Ignoring the things 4e did right is the main reason 5e is going to fail, it's basically a bad version of Pathfinder now, if the people play testing it hadn't worked so hard to remove every trace of 4e from the initial play test it would have actually been pretty great, WotC had actually done a pretty good job of mixing 2e, 3e and 4e before the "BOO 4e" crowd got to it...luckily Paizo is doing an ok job keeping their version running.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily View Post
    Well I'm of the opinion that the iconics should have full access to Ebberonian Deity choices (and racial requirements should be removed), so I'd say the same thing for Pacts and since Eberron is a more unique setting than the melting pot that is the Generic Realms I hope most of the pacts are based on that (ie. A Xorian Warlock would be so much fun)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 05-12-2015 at 06:32 PM.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    No it really isn't, as a person who actually played 4e that makes no sense...aside from the lack of multi-classing it still plays like DnD and it actually managed to solve the problem of low levels being **** for casters and high levels being **** for non-casters. Only reason I left was because the character creation was so limited, If it wasn't for that I could of dealt with some of the odder changes (ie. Renaming Aasimar -> Diva and making them purple-ish so weird)

Ignoring the things 4e did right is the main reason 5e is going to fail, it's basically a bad version of Pathfinder now, if the people play testing it hadn't worked so hard to remove every trace of 4e from the initial play test it would have actually been pretty great, WotC had actually done a pretty good job of mixing 2e, 3e and 4e before the "BOO 4e" crowd got to it...luckily Paizo is doing an ok job keeping their version running.

Well I'm of the opinion that the iconics should have full access to Ebberonian Deity choices (and racial requirements should be removed), so I'd say the same thing for Pacts and since Eberron is a more unique setting than the melting pot that is the Generic Realms I hope most of the pacts are based on that (ie. A Xorian Warlock would be so much fun)
    Just what do you think 4E did right it was a boring everything the same just different names mush pile

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by ToastyFred View Post
    But well-founded and well-deserved.
    I think the words you're looking for are "knee-jerk" and "blown out of proportion."
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Let's give Warpriests and Eldritch Knights some loving, kay? :<

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Just what do you think 4E did right it was a boring everything the same just different names mush pile
    Spoken like someone who hasn't played 4e much or at all. (playing it specifically to bash it doesn't count, If you go to something with attitude that it's going to suck, than guess what it WILL suck)

I think the words you're looking for are "knee-jerk" and "blown out of proportion."
    QFT

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Spoken like someone who hasn't played 4e much or at all. (playing it specifically to bash it doesn't count, If you go to something with attitude that it's going to suck, than guess what it WILL suck)

QFT
    Ran that pile for two years for a bunch of munchkins that didn't want to play anything else and ran two worldwide game days for WOTC. There is nothing that is part of a good pnp rpg game in 4E I gave it very good chance to prove me wrong and it failed.

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Ran that pile for two years for a bunch of munchkins that didn't want to play anything else and ran two worldwide game days for WOTC. There is nothing that is part of a good pnp rpg game in 4E I gave it very good chance to prove me wrong and it failed.
    I really doubt that you ran two worldwide game days, but for the sake of argument, I'll entertain you.

Congrats. You're one person. Your experience was not authoritative. You hated the players you ran with, whether they deserved it or not, and this already soured your experience. Not to mention it sounds like you hated the game *before* you even tried it, so that may have prejudiced you into putting less effort into the game, thus resulting in a less enjoyable experience for you.

There are *many* people who have played 4E and have had fun. Many DMs who have done so as well. Your experience does not mean they are wrong. Just as their experience does not mean your dislike of the game is wrong.

You said in another thread that someone else's opinion should matter. Prove it with this topic of discussion. Respect other people's likes.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.

I really doubt that you ran two worldwide game days, but for the sake of argument, I'll entertain you.

Congrats. You're one person. Your experience was not authoritative. You hated the players you ran with, whether they deserved it or not, and this already soured your experience. Not to mention it sounds like you hated the game *before* you even tried it, so that may have prejudiced you into putting less effort into the game, thus resulting in a less enjoyable experience for you.

There are *many* people who have played 4E and have had fun. Many DMs who have done so as well. Your experience does not mean they are wrong. Just as their experience does not mean your dislike of the game is wrong.

You said in another thread that someone else's opinion should matter. Prove it with this topic of discussion. Respect other people's likes.
    The funny part is I'm pretty sure he hates 3rd edition or even tabletop in general, he's constantly putting the kabosh on other people's requests for classes, races etc. for being cheesy, munchkin, etc.

Actually now that I think of it most of his complaints come from how much his players suck...at a certain point you start to look at the DM if all his players "suck"

I'd go further with that, but he might start whining about how rude we are to him while he casually calls everyone who disagrees with him a munchkin.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Yes I did run two and the company was quite generous with swag to pass out miniatures to help,run the modules which I let the gm's keep after they ran except for the PC ones which we gave the players and a whole lot of d20's which passed out and I gave the extras away here and there for quite some time and no matter what you say 4E was widely reviled and nearly killed the franchise

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

The funny part is I'm pretty sure he hates 3rd edition or even tabletop in general, he's constantly putting the kabosh on other people's requests for classes, races etc. for being cheesy, munchkin, etc.

Actually now that I think of it most of his complaints come from how much his players suck...at a certain point you start to look at the DM if all his players "suck"
    I am actually quite fond of 3.X if you leave out the splat books

Beware the Sleepeater

Nah, I'm very careful with my words. I write what I mean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast