Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by golruul View Post
    I'll file a bug report when I get home from work, but I can consistently reproduce by opening my green bag and double-clicking something to take it out and put it in my inventory. So, for example, taking out some cannith challenge ingredient after getting it from one of the challenges. Afterwards, mousewheel doesn't work. I don't care about zooming, but this prevents the ctrl+mousewheel combo that changes the active hotbar.
    > Just checked that, double clicked on a pile of "Polished Stones" in my green bag and bamm, no more mouse wheel.

EDIT: Just restarted to verify:
    - no bank, still standing on the ship
    - verified mouse wheel zoom in/out is working
    - opened inventory
    - opened green bag
    - double clicked on a pile of 'Brain Specimens'
    - no more mouse wheel for zoom in/out
    - funny thing, thou, I still can scroll inside of the green bag

EDIT 2:
    3rd Test, different character, different bag, double click on '13 Greater Evil Essences' --> no more zoom in/out

So this seem to be quite reliable. Just for additional info, I use a Logitech G502 in case it is related to the device.
    Last edited by SisAmethyst; 05-06-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    * We have collectable bags, mind you, even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Community Member

I can reproduce this bug pretty constantly by loggin in and out of character, most usually when jumping from one mule to the other.

It usually takes 6/7 logins.

Hope this helps.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SisAmethyst View Post
    > Just checked that, double clicked on a pile of "Polished Stones" in my green bag and bamm, no more mouse wheel.

EDIT: Just restarted to verify:
    - no bank, still standing on the ship
    - verified mouse wheel zoom in/out is working
    - opened inventory
    - opened green bag
    - double clicked on a pile of 'Brain Specimens'
    - no more mouse wheel for zoom in/out
    - funny thing, thou, I still can scroll inside of the green bag

EDIT 2:
    3rd Test, different character, different bag, double click on '13 Greater Evil Essences' --> no more zoom in/out

So this seem to be quite reliable. Just for additional info, I use a Logitech G502 in case it is related to the device.
    Something else to note: During your repro's do you use the wheel to scroll through items in the bag? That seems to be the key thing. Using it when it changes 'focus' binds that focus, and if you close the object managing that focus, it is not handed back to the game, so you no longer can use the wheel. And opening the old container does not resolve the issue because the 'handle' that goes with the wheel was destroyed when you closed the bag (a cleanup step to keep the game running and prevent hax).

This could be resolved by having the game manager (if it uses one) monitor the handles on player controls and refreshes them every few minutes. Have the controls taking focus maintain a response so the game manager can spot it during its heartbeat, and things should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We'd love to get a reproducible way to cause this to happen. If folks are able to reproduce this consistently by doing certain actions, please let us know. The best way would be to go to bugs.turbine.com, then fill out info on character class/race/level/etc.
    Been there. Done that. More than once.

My Gamer Girl suggests removing arrows from a quiver by double-clicking. Or dragging a hireling out of the hireling folder.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffhanna View Post
    I hate being ranty, but I've had it up to here with this stupid bug.

-> Warning: angry rant ahead. Proceed at your own risk. You were warned.
    Well ranted - and the thread here seems to be making some better progress towards a solution.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

This generally only happens to me when logging in/out multiple times.

I think it is an issue of focus.

As a corollary, if you:
    -enter a dungeon
    -press 'x' to open the XP report
    -press right click on your mouse while the cursor is outside of the XP report, in the hopes of swinging your weapon

then nothing will happen, because the XP report has your mouse's focus and is 'eating' your right clicks. You can solve this issue by left-clicking anywhere outside the XP report (or closing the XP report), at which point right-clicking will cause you to swing your weapon correctly.

In the case of logging in/out, I suspect the character select panel retains your mouse-wheel focus even after you have logged in, and there's no way to get focus back to where you want it (except to restart the client).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post

As a corollary, if you:
    -enter a dungeon
    -press right click on your mouse while the cursor is outside of the XP report, in the hopes of swinging your weapon

then nothing will happen, because the XP report has your mouse's focus and is 'eating' your right clicks. You can solve this issue by left-clicking anywhere outside the XP report (or closing the XP report), at which point right-clicking will cause you to swing your weapon correctly.

In the case of logging in/out, I suspect the character select panel retains your mouse-wheel focus even after you have logged in, and there's no way to get focus back to where you want it (except to restart the client).
    This one irks me...

Quote Originally Posted by golruul View Post
    I'll file a bug report when I get home from work, but I can consistently reproduce by opening my green bag and double-clicking something to take it out and put it in my inventory. So, for example, taking out some cannith challenge ingredient after getting it from one of the challenges. Afterwards, mousewheel doesn't work. I don't care about zooming, but this prevents the ctrl+mousewheel combo that changes the active hotbar.
    Son of a gun... nice work.

I had not had this happen in a while, but had it happen just a couple days ago. The incident occurred while I was preparing to TR and moving lots of inventory around and organizing my green bags...

Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post

As a corollary, if you:
    -enter a dungeon

That is definitely what is happening with my client. If I switch chars more than 2-3 times wheel is dead. I just stand on the ship or where my character appears after load and I just roll the wheel while the rest of the game elements load. Then magic happens and wheel is dead. In any case I have to restart client because of the memory leak issue so everything is solved.
    Khyber : Agraell, Bellafontas, Olethrio, Tiropitaki, Tserp

Smile

Thank you Cordovan for putting this in the devtracker so everyone would see it and be able to jump in with their own versions of the bug.

Now, to get it fixed! You go, Jerry!

Community Member Captain_Pengie's Avatar

I normally get this problem from simply opening/closing multiple bank or vendor windows. e.g. If I have my haggler collect a bunch of stuff to sell from the bank and then visit all of the vendors to hock it the mouse wheel will often lock up and require a restart of the client.

Historically I am pretty sure that the bug first occurred at least 5 years ago - possibly longer, hard to remember that far back, but I don;t think so - and it was introduced into both DDO and LOTRO at the same time and occurred for the same reason (multiple bank/vendor window opens). LOTRO fixed their issue shortly afterwards (maybe 3 months after it happened) but based on this recently updated post it looks like it may have come back.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ht=mouse+wheel

I can't confirm this as I'm not playing LOTRO at the moment, but it would definitely be worth comparing notes between the two Dev teams as it most certainly originated in both games at the same time. Can't say exactly when as both DDO & LOTRO forums were purged of all the old posts when they were revamped but I am pretty sure it was in the 4-5 year range.

Thanks. If you or someone else runs into another way to reproduce this consistently, please let us know.
    It's definitely tied to ingredient bags.

SOMETIMES I can fix it by opening a bag, using the mouse wheel in the bag, then outside the bag.

Sometimes I can fix it by logging out to character selection screen.

Sometimes, I just have to restart my client.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
    I can reproduce this bug pretty constantly by loggin in and out of character, most usually when jumping from one mule to the other.

It usually takes 6/7 logins.

Hope this helps.
    My most common experience with the mousewheel problem is this one.

However I have noticed a possible red herring symptom; I lose the mousewheel much more frequently when I switch away from a PDK or BF. Many of my bank alts are BF so that may be biasing my observation in their case, but I do not log onto PDKs that often so the seemingly higher chance stands out to me. However I do have a decent number of Human bank alts too and I almost never run into the bug swapping between them repeatedly. The first thing I do on logging in any character is zoom out so I feel like my sample is fairly large, but if character race/body model actually matters then it is likely biased by the mix of characters I have (e.g. no HOrcs or Halflings in recent memory, lots of Humans and BF).

Unfortunately this is not a reproducible error so I know it doesn't help much. Sorry for adding what is likely to be random noise to the discussion. I've just learned to expect to need to relog after I do banking/haggling.

I basically do not use bags at all on my bank alts (thank you, lovely shared collectible bank!) so that is not part of my observed issue on character swaps.
    Sarlona resident (PureMouse, PlushMouse, [& other little mice], Cryosite)
    Former lurker/resident of Argonessen (Shyelle, Cheyelle, Moonsparkle)

"The first thing you need to do when considering a halfling thrower build, is learn how to bend halflings correctly so that they return." - amnota/Trelaf of Thelanis

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council
    2017-2021 PC Member

Thanks. If you or someone else runs into another way to reproduce this consistently, please let us know.
    I've gotten it just *opening* bags, without removing anything or scrolling or filtering. Seems to be mostly tied to green bags, and removing, scrolling, or filtering practically guarantees it.

While you're at it, can you see if you can also fix the issue where the bag jumps back up to the middle when you remove stuff? Trying to remove several unrelated items that went into the wrong bag for whatever reason and having to constantly scroll back down towards the bottom really bites (for instance, I tend to empty out my "go" ing bag and then just go through all my bags one by one, Collect All, scroll down and remove the stuff that doesn't belong in that bag, open up the next, etc.)
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12