Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Warlocks... Can we get a taste of what's to come?

Sev can we get at least a teaser on what is coming with the warlock class?

1. Will there be alignment restrictions?

2. Will they get charisma bonus to saves?

3. Will Eldritch blast also function for Melee as Eldritch strike?

4. Can they shape change into demons?

Anything else you can share would be great! But I would love to hear those 4 answered.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 42/42, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post
    Sev can we get at least a teaser on what is coming with the warlock class?

Anything else you can share would be great! But I would love to hear those 4 answered.
    Well, if they follow 3.5 baseline for it (which they should, since it's DDO's baseline) then I suspect that the following would be the answers...

1 - Chaotic only.
    2 - No, but a Least Invocation called Dark One's Own Luck will allow them to pick 1 save to have +6 profane bonus to until next rest.
    3 - With the Blast Shapes Eldritch Strike (for one shot) or Eldritch Glaive (diabling other blasts while running, but functioning as a melee-only weapon enchant).
    4 - Highly unlikely, unless they implement Polymorph Self for everyone, as that is the basis for Warlock shapeshifting in 3.5.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    Well, if they follow 3.5 baseline for it (which they should, since it's DDO's baseline) then I suspect that the following would be the answers...

1 - Chaotic only.
    2 - No, but a Least Invocation called Dark One's Own Luck will allow them to pick 1 save to have +6 profane bonus to until next rest.
    3 - With the Blast Shapes Eldritch Strike (for one shot) or Eldritch Glaive (diabling other blasts while running, but functioning as a melee-only weapon enchant).
    4 - Highly unlikely, unless they implement Polymorph Self for everyone, as that is the basis for Warlock shapeshifting in 3.5.
    1. I think non-lawful only otherwise you only have 2 choices the rest I agree

Beware the Sleepeater

Ultimate Lord of Shadows Dreppo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    1. I think non-lawful only otherwise you only have 2 choices the rest I agree
    Chaotic only would conform to PnP. (In PnP you have to be chaotic or evil, but DDO forbids evil.)

I don't see a problem with having only two alignment choices. Monk only has two choices: lawful good, lawful neutral. And pally only has one choice.

The main thing I'd like to know is if their abilities are going to have spell penetration check. It's extremely relevant in DDO with the inflated drow spell resistances that it pretty much decides if I'm even going to bother playing this class.

Vargouille had his April 1st sneak peek..

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ancement-Tree?

Players were very receptive to the positive advantages of the enhancement tree... may be a bit OP, but we like the direction.

Character sheet looked interesting as well.. alignment in particular....
    Last edited by JOTMON; 05-05-2015 at 07:40 AM.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 34/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 12/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 116/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/45 , RC 25/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 75/158)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 111/158)

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    The main thing I'd like to know is if their abilities are going to have spell penetration check. It's extremely relevant in DDO with the inflated drow spell resistances that it pretty much decides if I'm even going to bother playing this class.
    They are SLAs and have "caster levels", so I'd expect they do.

FWIW, I'd also expect the glaive + claws, if implemented, to be like Flame Blade.

I kinda half-expect some of the class abilities to be class-granted-feats, kinda like the Ranger Favored Enemy, etc. but the list for those would be mostly some core invocations / blast shapes. I expect all the blasts to share a cooldown. I also expect that while the core invocations and abilities may be granted, others will likely be buried on different enhancement trees. I could see three of those - maybe one fiendish, one fey-related and one pseudonatural / madness or shape-change related. Acolyte of the Skin (could be the alternate form version or the fiendish; maybe melee / defense cores) is likely a given; I suspect we'll see a Hellfire tree (as one of the most popular 3.5 warlock PRCs). Third would be something fey-ish, with some skill / utility / charm / entrance. Outlier would be something like Eldritch Disciple - more focused, granting a wing-leap and some good-aligned stuff (or maybe combined into one of the others)

I would IMAGINE they'd relax the alignment restriction a bit, but that's only a guess.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

In NwN they made dark ones own luck give charisma bonus to saves, and I really hope they do the same here. Druids, bards, and barbarians have always been locked out of a high save splash, so I would like to see that opened to them.

I played around with a Melee warlock in nvn, so I am most interested in those changes.

Eldritch blast is untyped damage I assume? I don't think it has ever been typed as force damage (I know some blast shapes change its damage type).

Community Manager

We're currently targeting the middle-ish of this month for our first Lamannia preview of the Warlock.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We're currently targeting the middle-ish of this month for our first Lamannia preview of the Warlock.
    Are there any patches coming up before the warlock preview? Can those go live to Lam so we can check things and provide feedback on those?

You mean warlocks do something other than eldritch blast? Cos honestly, that's all anyone ever seems to talk about (and is why I've always paid no attention to warlocks as a 'thing' - they just sound boring).

Still, some teaser info would be nice. I'd like to know about any gotchas (healing, nutty party-affecting spells, whatever) that I need to look out for when everyone else is running a warlock in a couple of months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    Are they inflated? In FR I always found in PnP that drow were more or less impervious to direct spells (damage, charms, debuffs, whatever). You always had to come at them sideways with a wall of iron above their heads (connected to the tunnel by a small area that can in no way support the weight), or causing cave-ins with disintegrate or... ok so they more or less all had to do with crushing the sneaky bastards under tons of rock, but the point still stands - do you mean 'inflated' as in 'really high' or do you mean as in 'higher than is reasonable'?
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Will Warlocks be on par with other recently updated classes like Barbarian and Paladin or will they be as lackluster as the other caster classes?

1,2,3,4: Probably not, at least not as you are probably thinking.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

At least lawful good should be off limits

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yeah! I was right-er-ish. :P

Are you sure about number 3? Warlocks have always been able to transfer their eldritch blast to their weapon i think.

P.s. No alignment restrictions is freakin sweet!
    Last edited by Delacroix21; 05-05-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Are you sure about number 3? Warlocks have always been able to transfer their eldritch blast to their weapon i think.

P.s. No alignment restrictions is freakin sweet!
    Well he didn't say fully no alignment restrictions just not as we think

Beware the Sleepeater

I think it's safe to say we are all excited for a new class. I will enjoy getting the chance to build with warlocks. Hurry up and Lama please!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast