Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default The Tempest Ranger, by Illuminati

The Tempest Ranger, by Illuminati

It's been so long and after seeing all the new options, content, this is how I would make it.

Class: Ranger
    Race: Drow Elf
    Alignment: Neutral Good

Exlanation: Elf/Ranger for the Dex enhancements as this version will wear robes. Robes? Heck yeah. They quick switch instantaneously and you get the best attributes on them. Divine Power, Greater Fire/Cold, etc. all appear on robes. Neutral Good so that you can use ANY weapon without negative level and with Rangers Action Boost, you can UMD most items within the game.
    Why is this better than a pure fighter?
    Evasion – No Damage on a Reflex Save
    Healing – When you get in trouble, just wand yourself up
    Barkskin - +5 Natural Armor Bonus that stacks with everything
    Robes – If you can get your AC high enough (see below) they have the best attributes

Begin Stats:

12 - Str (4 Pts)
    20 - Dex (16 Pts)
    11 - Con (5 Pts)
    10 - Int
    11 - Wis (3 Pts)
    10 - Cha

End Stats:

16 - Str (+4 Str/-1 Dex ,Static Reward: Linen Handwraps)
    34 - Dex (+4 Enhancement, +2 Enhancement, +3 Lvl’s 4/8/12, +3/4 item/buff, -1 Linen Handwraps)
    14 - Con (+3 Item)
    10 - Int
    14 – Wis (+3 Item) *You are able to cast 4th level spells in DDO with an item modifier.
    10 - Cha

Enhancements: Rangers Action Boost, Elven Dexterity II, Rangers Dexterity IV, Favored Attack III

Skills: Max UMD, Max Tumble, Move Silently, Hide, put points in Jump and Spot.

Note: UMD at Level 12 (+7 Rank, +6 Action Boost, +3 Item, +4 Greater Heroism) = 20. This is enough to equip anything in the game.
    Tumble at Level 10 (+7 Rank, +12 Dex Bonus, +10 Spell (u cast), +7 Tumble item) = 36. Back/Side and Front Flip Time!

Feats:

Lvl 1 = Weapon Focus: Piercing, *Bow Strength, *Favored Enemy: Giants
    Lvl 2 = *Rapid Shot, *Two-Weapon Fighting (TWF)
    Lvl 3 = Weapon Finesse
    Lvl 4 =
    Lvl 5 =
    Lvl 6 = Precision (+4 to attack, base damage is halved), *Many Shot, *Improved TWF, *Favored Enemy: Elves, *Precise Shot
    Lvl 7 =
    Lvl 8 =
    Lvl 9 = Improved Critical: Piercing, *Evasion
    Lvl 10 = *Favored Enemy: Evil Outsiders
    Lvl 11 = *Improved Precise Shot, *Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
    Lvl 12 = Improved Critical: Ranged

Attack Bonus (Level 12): Normal/Common Potential

+12 BaB
    +12 Dex (Weapon Finesse)
    +1 (Stat Damaging Weapon)
    +1 Weapon Focus: Piercing
    +4 Precision
    +0/+4 (Greater Heroism)
    +0/+3 (Favored Attack)
    +0/+1 (Haste)
    ------------
    +30, +30, +35, +40
    +38, +38, +43, +48

Damage (Level 10): Normal/Common Potential
    Weapon of Choice: Rapier (Puncturing even better)

1d6+5
    +3 Strength
    +0/+6 Favored)
    +0/+1 Haste
    -------
    13/20 per hit (no elemental damage or con damage applied)

Crit Range = 15 – 20 so you get a x2 damage roughly 1 out of 4 hits.

Armor Class:

+10 Base
    +12 Dex
    +7 Shield (Heavy Steel or Mithral)
    +6 Barkskin (at lvl 12)
    +4 WW Bracers or MageArmor potions
    +3 Deflection (Static Loot)
    +2 Dodge * if you find the Chaosgarde bracers (buy mage armor potions)
    ---------
    44 (Very Respectable)

*a +1 Dex tome and you hit 32. Cast Cats Grace to offset the -1 from Linen Handwraps and you add a +1 AB and +1 Armor Bonus.

My personal build has stats 22, 26, 16, 8, 16, 8 (w/ items only). It is great to pull the levers etc. but I believe it would have been better with a higher Dex. The ability to hot swap robes is awesome.

Scenarios:

Xorion Cypher: (Elves and Undead)
    With a simple +1 Holy Mace and Rapier you will own this quest.

Tempest Spine (Elves, Evil Outsiders and Giants)
    With a Puncture Rapier you will own this quest. I use a +5 Rapier on the Blackguards and they go down fast. The rest are squishy.

Gwayland’s Stand: (Elves, Minataurs, Goblinoid)
    Any of the Monstrous Humanoid types are squishy.

Von 1-4: (Beholders, Mephits, Elves, Trolls)
    Grab a Deathblock Robe of Light/Mod Fort and you own these guys fast. A puncture wep on all the drow, and a Flaming Rapier takes out the trolls. Whatever you wish on the Beholders, they go down fast.

Von 5: (Undead, WF, Dwarves)
    The Undead here are like butter. Your damage bonus takes them out fast. Find a +1 Holy Rapier and you get 1d6+1 (+6 Favored Enemy), +2d6 (Holy). The key to WF is an Adamantium Wep or Puncture. Sure its hard to punch through their DR, but they have low Con (8-12). Usually two criticals and they go down.

Threnal: (Evil Outsiders, Giants, Various)
    Puncture the Giants, and the rest are squishy. No problems here.

Enjoy. Comments welcome.
    Last edited by Illuminati; 02-22-2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Drow

Community Member

This is really close to what I'm trying to accomplish now. My starting stats were a bit differently, 14 str but 8 int, 12 wis, and 8 cha.

I saw that you posted a +3 Deflection (Static Loot), which item are you referring to? This stacks with WW bracers?

Another question on the +4 protection chaos manacles... does this stack with say +5 armor?

This is my first high lvl char who is at 8 right now, almost 9. Still trying to find good puncturing rapiers to make it work. Right now I just have a thundering shortsword of puncturing.

Nice to see that a high lvl thought about this build and thinks it can work and I didn't waste my time lvling a pure ranger!

Community Member

Spectacular Goggles (Southern Threnal) +3 Protection (Deflection AB) / +4 Reflex Save.

WW Bracers are +4 Armor Bonus.

They stack as they are different (Armor bonus and Deflection Bonus).

Yes, those would stack as well. Armor bonus and Deflection (Goggles or Bracers) stack together, but the goggles would not stack with the Chaos Bracers as they are both Deflection AB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusiphur
    This is really close to what I'm trying to accomplish now. My starting stats were a bit differently, 14 str but 8 int, 12 wis, and 8 cha.

I saw that you posted a +3 Deflection (Static Loot), which item are you referring to? This stacks with WW bracers?

Another question on the +4 protection chaos manacles... does this stack with say +5 armor?

This is my first high lvl char who is at 8 right now, almost 9. Still trying to find good puncturing rapiers to make it work. Right now I just have a thundering shortsword of puncturing.

I have a Lvl 10 of all classes really. I can honestly tell you that the Ranger class is the best all around class. The stigma of using a bow is the problem. If you build a Ranger, just melee. Your survivability is the best attribute.

When you see a caster looming in the background. Action Boost speed and take him out (turn him away from your squad), while they deal with the high AC mobs. After you kill him fast, help them out. They will then invite you from then on =)

Nice to see that a high lvl thought about this build and thinks it can work and I didn't waste my time lvling a pure ranger!

This is similar to what I was thinking about doing. However, I was going to go:

STR 15
    DEX 20
    WIS 12

Does anyone know for sure if theres really any difference between 15 and 14 STR? If theres not I'll change this to 14 STR and 14 WIS.

As far as enhancements though I was going to take a bit different approach, but may change my mind. I take it you see no need to waste all your feats to get SOTR?

Community Member

Im doing a similar build, except levels 7 and 8 will be fighter.

With the extra two feats I will take precision and either two weapon defence or maybe spring attack. Means I only get one level 2 spell, which will be barksin giving a +4 AC. Precision will be nice with a puncturing weapon however, plus fighters action boost gives a +3 to AC, attack speed or to hit. very nice. very adaptable.

question. rangers action boost gives a boost to skills. all skills? if so, could be fun for jump and tumble! nice situational boost to balance against wolves and so on as well...

Community Member

Other than dodge, no.

If they fix rate of fire, maybe. But with my current Ranger I whip the bow out rarely, it really is a melee machine.

Also, who knows, you may get it free at 12 (like Manyshot at 6).

Quote Originally Posted by maethor
    This is similar to what I was thinking about doing. However, I was going to go:

STR 15
    DEX 20
    WIS 12

Does anyone know for sure if theres really any difference between 15 and 14 STR? If theres not I'll change this to 14 STR and 14 WIS.

As far as enhancements though I was going to take a bit different approach, but may change my mind. I take it you see no need to waste all your feats to get SOTR?

Community Member

All skills. On my current Ranger I forgot to put one point in UMD =(

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid
    Im doing a similar build, except levels 7 and 8 will be fighter.

With the extra two feats I will take precision and either two weapon defence or maybe spring attack. Means I only get one level 2 spell, which will be barksin giving a +4 AC. Precision will be nice with a puncturing weapon however, plus fighters action boost gives a +3 to AC, attack speed or to hit. very nice. very adaptable.

question. rangers action boost gives a boost to skills. all skills? if so, could be fun for jump and tumble! nice situational boost to balance against wolves and so on as well...

Illuminati and I were PMing back and forth about this build past few days, and I love it.

Because of the way my guild works, I am probably gonna have to gimp myself in other stats and get 17 STR so I can hit those VON strength levers with DP and Rage. The extra STR isnt important other than for that reason - for me personally.

The low STR doenst matter because of puncturing. If you can get an Elemental Puncturer it will own. Look especially for Shock and Acid. Ice and Fire will limit its utility. OFC, even if you heal a mob on a hit, you can still kill it via CON damage!

Thanks again for the build.

Community Member

hmm, now im in a quandry with enhancements

Ranger dex
    halfling dex
    fighter boost I

these are no brainers

for the last enhancement, I could take ranger boost to give a situational boost to jump, balance, tumble... because I wanted to make a tumbling machine.

OR, because my build is a halfling, I could take halfling luck III

hmmm. how long does RAB III last for, and whats the bonus?

news flash! the new fighter enhancements include 'improved critical confirm' which gives +2 to your critical confirm roll, all the way through to +10 !!!!! at level 10 fighter. i.e if your roll in your threat range, then you get a +X on your roll to confirm it as a critical GADS!!!!

now I am thinking that even +2 on the confirm roll is a nice advantage (all i could take with 2 levels of fighter).
    Last edited by stefoid; 06-27-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Nice build, Illuminati.

Any thoughts on splashing 1 level of rogue for the sneak attack?

You lose your 4th melee attack which is at +10 to hit if you take a single level of anything that is NOT Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, or Ranger.

Just to share. Similar concept build here with some differences.

Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 8
    True Neutral Halfling.

Prefer halfling because...

- As so many have mentioned, Str isn't such a big deal on this build. I'd prefer the extra HP and slight Fort saves.

- Halflings get +1AB and +1AC.

- Halflings also get +1 to all saves, and that enhancement which increases your saves even more.

Saves are arguably even more impt than AC, and halflings, with innante saves and higher fort, basically have Reflex in the 20s, Fort in the High Teens, and even Will (Not as impt with Shard of Silver Flame) in the low teens.

I like the balance of stats, though I suppose some would want to gleam points off Wis, Con, Str and max out Dex. I guess I'm fine with waiting for a level cap raise before I can actually go robes over my current choice of Chain Shirts...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rekoil
    Nice build, Illuminati.

Any thoughts on splashing 1 level of rogue for the sneak attack?
    I thought about 1 level of Rogue, but in this build you need the 10 BaB for the 4th attack. That extra +10 to attack on the 4th swing is huge. Also, you would only get 1d6 sneak attack from 1 level of rogue.

Remember, with a sword and board this 45+ AC killer is very nice. You will literally take down anything and survive because of your Evasion and healing ability.

Community Member

Actually, this build works very well with a halfling because it has no Str requirement.

I never played a halfling so I didn't consider it, but it would work just as well if not better. I just like the elf look =) and the irony of taking them as a favored.

Quote Originally Posted by Teech
    Just to share. Similar concept build here with some differences.

Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 8
    True Neutral Halfling.

Prefer halfling because...

- As so many have mentioned, Str isn't such a big deal on this build. I'd prefer the extra HP and slight Fort saves.

- Halflings get +1AB and +1AC.

- Halflings also get +1 to all saves, and that enhancement which increases your saves even more.

Saves are arguably even more impt than AC, and halflings, with innante saves and higher fort, basically have Reflex in the 20s, Fort in the High Teens, and even Will (Not as impt with Shard of Silver Flame) in the low teens.

I like the balance of stats, though I suppose some would want to gleam points off Wis, Con, Str and max out Dex. I guess I'm fine with waiting for a level cap raise before I can actually go robes over my current choice of Chain Shirts...

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

I recommend never taking a stat above 17(19 race). 16(18) should be good enough too. This gets you 3-6 extra Attribute points in exchange for 1 less bonus in your highest stat. If you can't pick a good place for those 3-6 points, the min/maxing the highest stat works fine for some people, but you may find yourself with less skill points or spell points/will save than you like.
    An extra 2 INT is needed to (nearly) max out an additional skill, such as cross-trained UMD. Rangers get relatively few spell points. Do you really want to wear an item of +SP rather than a different item?

MY opinion on rangers is that their power and usefulness dwindle after level 2 and other than the two extra feats and SP at 6th. Rangers need 7th or 8th to come into full form -- with 10th & 11th being a very nice power increase too. Keep this in mind when you are thinking about multiclassing as a Fighter more than 1 level. A 10 ranger can be a great character if you don't wish to wait for the level cap to increase. A Fighter 1/Ranger 9 is delaying his Favored #2, some extra SP and 1 or 2 useful enhancements until after the cap raise, but I think this is a good build as you can get the Fighter Action Boost I and the bonus feat allows for Shot on the Run at 6th (4th for human). Delaying the level 10 and 11th ranger powers until level 12 or 13 might disappoint you greatly. I am regretting it on my rng6/ftr2, even though SoTR was cool as an elf at 4th.
    Last edited by winsom; 07-06-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati
    Other than dodge, no.

If they fix rate of fire, maybe. But with my current Ranger I whip the bow out rarely, it really is a melee machine.

Also, who knows, you may get it free at 12 (like Manyshot at 6).
    The combat styles so far have matched 3.5 DnD I think, the only difference being that PnP Rangers need to choose melee or ranged but DDO rangers get both.

As such, the next 'upgrade' should be at Ranger11, when rangers get Greater TWF, and Improved Precise Shot.

Not sure how Improved Precise Shot would translate to DDO. Maybe as improved precision instead? Too bad I already took precision as one of my feats. Useful for weapons such as cursespewing or stat damage type, when you're not really bothered about the damage...

Illuminati.. are you one person?

Community Member

I built this on my experience with a very similar Ranger I took to ten. The skill points (even with the - modifier) are fine to place in your valuable skills. Heck, .5 points into UMD gets you 13 UMD with action boost and a static item.

As a Ranger you will learn how easy it is to get a power trinket and use it to buff, then dequip it. +3 Wisdom items are abound if you quest enough. If you think it may be a problem, you can always just get a +1 or +2 which is enough to cast any Ranger spell in current content.

I would never multi-class Ranger. This build seriously is very good. Its DPS with Favored is well above average and against others with a few nice weps it is awesome.

I don't know how many times I try to convince Rangers to relax on SOTR until the cap increases. We will most likely get it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by winsom
    I recommend never taking a stat above 17(19 race). 16(18) should be good enough too. This gets you 3-6 extra Attribute points in exchange for 1 less bonus in your highest stat. If you can't pick a good place for those 3-6 points, the min/maxing the highest stat works fine for some people, but you may find yourself with less skill points or spell points/will save than you like.
    An extra 2 INT is needed to (nearly) max out an additional skill, such as cross-trained UMD. Rangers get few spell points. Do you really want to wear an item of +SP rather than a different item? You will only be cast Barkskin 3-4 (?) times with a (magical) WIS of 14, unless you dedicate a trinket slot to +50 SP or get another SP item. I don't know how easy it is to raise an 11 WIS to 14 either... Ive never seen a +3 WIS item and I have 3 characters almost to 9th level (I don't loot farm though).

MY opinion on rangers is that their power and usefulness dwindle after level 2 and other than the two extra feats and SP at 6th. Rangers need 7th or 8th to come into full form -- with 10th & 11th being a very nice power increase too. Keep this in mind when you are thinking about multiclassing as a Fighter more than 1 level. A 10 ranger can be a great character if you don't wish to wait for the level cap to increase. A Fighter 1/Ranger 9 is delaying his Favored #2, some extra SP and 1 or 2 useful enhancements until after the cap raise, but I think this is a good build as you can get the Fighter Action Boost I and the bonus feat allows for Shot on the Run at 6th (4th for human). Delaying the level 10 and 11th ranger powers until level 12 or 13 might disappoint you greatly. I am regretting it on my rng6/ftr2, even though SoTR was cool as an elf at 4th.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teech
    The combat styles so far have matched 3.5 DnD I think, the only difference being that PnP Rangers need to choose melee or ranged but DDO rangers get both.

As such, the next 'upgrade' should be at Ranger11, when rangers get Greater TWF, and Improved Precise Shot.

Not sure how Improved Precise Shot would translate to DDO. Maybe as improved precision instead? Too bad I already took precision as one of my feats. Useful for weapons such as cursespewing or stat damage type, when you're not really bothered about the damage...
    That's why I am waiting. SOTR would be cool, but not really necessary for this build. Your attack with this build is so high I always move while attacking (gives me a -4 and them a -4) and stick take out enemys fast.

The con kill is the best luck I have had so far with wep attributes. Disruption, etc., all weaken on Elite level, but CON is universal.

The other day we did VON 3 on Elite. The party mostly wiped except me and a cleric. I was able to just keep moving around the named troll and criting him with Con damage. He was at about 90% health when he died. Same with the beholder.

Its too bad Cursespewing didnt work better or I would prefer it. I would just run ahead to the next mob so when the rest of the group got there it would look like a French Hat ballroom dance =)

What con kill weapon were you using?

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast