Community Member

Default Opaque walls fixed?

Has anyone seen the opaque walls bug in recent days? I just got through a pretty long session and realized I did not have to restart the game even once. The length of time I played would have guaranteed at least one restart. I wonder if they actually did something about it.

Dunno what you are talking about.
    Playing since 2010 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher DDO Discord | Orien Raiding Discord | Toons: Titus Ovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Community Member

No, not fixed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by etotheipi View Post
    No, not fixed.
    Yep. I was way too optimistic. It happened twice last night.
    Von III
    Spies
    WizKing
    ADQ prepaid, 4th room <--- opaque walls, restart
    ADQ raid
    Through A Mirror
    Army
    Friends
    Lesson <--- opaque walls, restart
    Thrill
    Impossible Demands

Basically, once an hour.
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 02-12-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Community Member

Cool That's exactly right, on the average....

Once every hour, the Mac Client either crashes on it's own, for no **** good reason, or the graphics screw up forcing a restart. LOL, and people wonder why I have attitude toward Turbine at a base level at all times, LOL.

Still happening very frequently to me... nothing that a quick restart won't fix. but those times when you can't leave your party... the game can be almost unplayable.
    Wizward | Shincool | Scrutiny | Canellonni | Deafening
    Renowned - Thelanis

Community Member

Default Technically, you only have to log out and back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytis View Post
    Yep. I was way too optimistic. It happened twice last night.
    Von III
    Spies
    WizKing
    ADQ prepaid, 4th room <--- opaque walls, restart
    ADQ raid
    Through A Mirror
    Army
    Friends
    Lesson <--- opaque walls, restart
    Thrill
    Impossible Demands

Basically, once an hour.
    I'm not sure which is faster, logging out and back in or restarting the game altogether. Other than that I enjoy playing on my retina 13" as much as anything!

Nolofin

Community Member

Thumbs down Not yet fixed

Just to keep this topic going, it appears it has not at all been fixed and is very frustrating for me.

Default demonstration

Here is a example on how unplayable the game gets, and not always we can restat the game. If soloing there is always the risk of the instance reseting.

Last edited by onivedlav; 09-04-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    Renowned - Thelanis

Angry This is my #1 fail for DDO

I love DDO for so many things... But this single issue is why I no longer play, having moved on to ESO. I prefer the class system and combat of DDO but given that I can't solo anything for fear of the wall issue, to the point where I've never been able to finish some of the early dungeons, I just move on.

Mac users deserve better: I think plenty of games have proven that we are more likely than the Windows masses to pay for things when they give us an equal experience.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by krisbrowne42 View Post
    I love DDO for so many things... But this single issue is why I no longer play, having moved on to ESO. I prefer the class system and combat of DDO but given that I can't solo anything for fear of the wall issue, to the point where I've never been able to finish some of the early dungeons, I just move on.

Mac users deserve better: I think plenty of games have proven that we are more likely than the Windows masses to pay for things when they give us an equal experience.
    The Mac client has a number of short comings compared to the windows one, but this issue is by far the worst. It has a work-around when soloing, but it is a huge pita. You have to disconnect your network, quit the game, reconnect the network and relaunch the game. While I have heard that you can "just log out and log back in", that is slower than quitting and restarting if you have an SSD, which most recent Macs do. Either way this is highly disruptive to game play and is terrible that it has languished for so long.

There is a new twist to this. If you DC during Trial of the Archons while soloing you will lose the instance so the work-around no longer works for at least this quest.

This really needs some attention. It's a major problem for those of us who have endured it for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by onivedlav View Post
    Here is a example on how unplayable the game gets, and not always we can restat the game. If soloing there is always the risk of the instance reseting.
    Emm..... Are you guys using Nvidia cards? or is this happening with ATI as well?

that really looks like video card lag, maybe environmental effects

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Emm..... Are you guys using Nvidia cards? or is this happening with ATI as well?

I am on a late 2012 MacBook Pro Retina.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

Whatever causes this i don't believe it is related to my Video Card.

I can finish the quest (with great self control not to rage quit), and a fresh instance will be fine, until it happens again without any apparent reason.
    Some quests i get it rarely, others it's almost guaranteed.
    Renowned - Thelanis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dontmater View Post
    that really looks like video card lag, maybe environmental effects
    I am not sure what "video card lag" is but the particular problem is more like a colored plane of occlusion thrust right through the scene. You can neither see nor target through it without first crossing through it.

Given that it happens regularly after about an hour of playing, I am inclined to say it is due to memory leaking. A semi educated guess might be that the texture memory, or model memory of the GPU has filled up. While you can play through it, and start a new quest, once it starts to happen, it will recur more and more severely until you restart the client. It is very difficult to play through by the way. Even though you can't target the mobs, or see where you are going, they can "see" you just fine.

My MacBook has an nvidia GeForce gt 650m. I seriously doubt that it is to blame however. This is a programming error.

Sadly I hear that they let the last Mac programmer go quite some time ago (he was on the lotro team). I doubt this will ever be fixed. But we can always hope.

16. 09-06-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by onivedlav View Post
    I am on a late 2012 MacBook Pro Retina.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

Whatever causes this i don't believe it is related to my Video Card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaytis View Post
    My MacBook has an nvidia GeForce gt 650m. I seriously doubt that it is to blame however. This is a programming error.
    Actually.... if it is what I'm thinking, it is graphic card related. You see, years ago, Nvidia cards on the PC were plagued with a very similar issue. And it was a driver issue, so the Turbine coders had to do special work around for it. ATI really didn't have the issue.

I'd say the Macs have it now. The solution was that the coder had to do something special for that issue at EACH wall. Which of course means a bug report for each wall saddly.

It doesn't look like wall. It looks like the next sector of the dungeon fails to render. The "wall" is probably a background.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng20/Epic10 -> Drd6),
    Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic10->Sorc(EK)17)

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Actually.... if it is what I'm thinking, it is graphic card related. You see, years ago, Nvidia cards on the PC were plagued with a very similar issue. And it was a driver issue, so the Turbine coders had to do special work around for it. ATI really didn't have the issue.

I'd say the Macs have it now. The solution was that the coder had to do something special for that issue at EACH wall. Which of course means a bug report for each wall saddly.
    I have the issue and my iMac has an AMD Radeon HD 6750M.

Once I started quiting once an hour, I haven't had nearly the problem. But it is frustrating when it hits on a boss fight and the boss is in the unrendered zone.

It can be fun on the Dragon's Horde challenges, however, because you see Amrath beneath you at certain angles. It's like you've been drinking too much of that Xorian Cider again.

Community Member

Thumbs up

I'm glad I found this post, I was sure it was an overheating problem with my Nvidia based top of the line MBP I got in Jan. I had attempted to turn down graphics settings to see if that would ease the heat and stretch the time between issues. Subscribed and I'm going to turn the settings back up!

Thanks,

21. 09-14-2015, 05:31 PM

22. 09-14-2015, 06:14 PM

23. 09-14-2015, 07:13 PM