Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile DDOGamer Poll: Do We Want More New Crafting Systems?

Like they say in Chicago ...

-> Vote early and vote often!

Look guys new systems are cool and all, but think of the inventory space. There are bazillion different ingredients already, and you need thousands of them to do anything, but you can only get couple at the time.

It just sucks. I have no crafted items, that I did not buy the ingredients for. I would use loot gen, if the crafted items were not like 2 or 3 times better than regular ones.

BUt like they care. More grind = more content. Elitists want to grind more, so ewryone (exempt casual players) is happy.

I am sick of new systems being introduced from update to update. If an idea is good enough to be implemented first time around, it should have greater longevity.
    Fafhryd
    Completionist Monk
    Khyber

Crafting in MMOs are systems that:
    • Allow items to be created from items gathered by players while doing other things (like quests, combat, exploration etc) bought at vendor, or received from sending henchmen.
    • Are leveled by gathering experience awarded by crafting goods; new recipes open up after reaching certain levels of thresholds.
    • Utilize same materials since crafting lvl1 to end, or use their equivalents that are just same thing at higher level (for example, low level crafters gather copper, high level gather mithril, but serve exactly the same purpose- they're basic metal for level X).

Currently, the only crafting system in DDO is cannith crafting.
    We could definitively use more, like potion brewing craft, or scroll craft, or clicky craft or whatever.

Various loot upgrade systems that are wrongly called crafting in DDO are just regular barter systems found in MMOs, and usually, with new expansion/update/land/questpack/whatever, there are new barter currencies to get for new rewards, be it weapons/armors/jewelery/mounts/cosmetics/consumables/whatever, and are meant to give players somehthing to do (AKA reason to log into game). Calling taking 10 items X and 5 items Y to NPC to have weapon in exchange is just like calling a house castle, because its made of rock or brick instead of wood. And its not important if NPC is kobold, wizard or inanimated machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Hero
    2015 Movember Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Crafting in MMOs are systems that:
    • Allow items to be created from items gathered by players while doing other things (like quests, combat, exploration etc) bought at vendor, or received from sending henchmen.
    • Are leveled by gathering experience awarded by crafting goods; new recipes open up after reaching certain levels of thresholds.
    • Utilize same materials since crafting lvl1 to end, or use their equivalents that are just same thing at higher level (for example, low level crafters gather copper, high level gather mithril, but serve exactly the same purpose- they're basic metal for level X).

Currently, the only crafting system in DDO is cannith crafting.
    We could definitively use more, like potion brewing craft, or scroll craft, or clicky craft or whatever.

Various loot upgrade systems that are wrongly called crafting in DDO are just regular barter systems found in MMOs, and usually, with new expansion/update/land/questpack/whatever, there are new barter currencies to get for new rewards, be it weapons/armors/jewelery/mounts/cosmetics/consumables/whatever, and are meant to give players somehthing to do (AKA reason to log into game). Calling taking 10 items X and 5 items Y to NPC to have weapon in exchange is just like calling a house castle, because its made of rock or brick instead of wood. And its not important if NPC is kobold, wizard or inanimated machine.
    This. And maybe tie crafting into some of the quests. Home Sweet Sewer for example. The only way to complete that quest is to find a dog and run away from it, towards the exit. Having the abilty to make something to clear the dogs out (if they have a certain crafting ability) might be an interesting spin. A sedative, a flashbang, a noxious smell. Yeah, it's a primitive example, but you get the point.

There is something about crafting that transforms a static environment into something dynamic and seemingly endless.

In PnP games, who hasn't had a GM that let players figure out how to create poisons, items, or mechanical devices? I know I appreciated the originality it provided on a generic theme.

Default Completely off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Marupal View Post
    In PnP games, who hasn't had a GM that let players figure out how to create poisons, items, or mechanical devices? I know I appreciated the originality it provided on a generic theme.
    D&D dialogue:
    [spoiler]
    Me: Dude, if I take create woundrous items feat, can I make magic traps?
    DM: Sure thing.
    Me: If I set a trap and if it kills some one, do I get the XP?
    DM: Yeah, I guess...
    Me: OK, I take the feat, and create a trap that when activated by anyone walking in 3 meter radius deal 2d10 negative energy damae to anyone in 10 meter radius, but I want both damage and detection requring no line of sight, and trap can't be single use.
    DM: OK, lack of line of sight is pretty powerful ability, but its balanced by failry low damage. Magical traps that aren't single use a\have a recharge time of 10 round.
    Me: But I can activate/deactivate it with command word?
    DM: Yeah, sure.
    Me: OK I craft it.
    DM: OK, this will cost you 5,000 gold and 250XP. Dwellers of next dungeon will be unpleasantly supprised.
    Me: Oh, I'm not going to plant it in dungeon.
    DM: ?
    Me: I go 10 miles north of Lagtrev and burry it 2 meters underground on this Highway that's often used by merchants traveling to largest port city in country.
    DM: OK.
    Me: I activate it and go back to city. Don't mind the trap now, lets continue of with mission, what we were doing?
    Other player: We were supposed to board that pirate ship.
    DM: OK, you go to harbor and...
    We contiuned hack and slash styled campaing as if nothing happened, until few in game days have passed.
    Me: I go to place where I planted trap.
    DM: OK.
    Me: So, this was road used extensively, tell me, how many merchant caravans I killed, what loot do I get, and how much XP is that?
    DM: ...

I and other players found this hilarious (players, not characters), but DM awarded me with feat taken away...[/spoiler]
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.