Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Brilliant.

I will be using this tip all the time now I suspect on my stealth toon.

TY! +1
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps.

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    hi Sehenry03, awesome tip. Can you get a screenie? I will then add it to the first page with props. Is that for heroic or epic content?
    Never done a screen shot on the forums so no idea where to begin. But it should work on epic the same.

The basic idea is that the sphere gets the beholders agro first and the sphere has a time limit and no hp's so it can't be 1 shot and killed. Anytime the beholder attacks something it keeps its attention on that something for a few seconds...maybe evem up to 10 seconds of free attacking and no con drain. That's usually enough time for a decent group to do enough damage for the floor to fall out. Then summon another sphere and the beholders agro resets after the floor falls out so it attacks the sphere again since the party SHOULD be feather falling down so again you should have 5-10 seconds of free attacking on the beholder again. Rinse/Repeat til the final floor.

Toons - Ziffin / Hirtz / Mheka / Duskh
    Guild - High Lords of Malkier
    Server - Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Brilliant.

I will be using this tip all the time now I suspect on my stealth toon.

TY! +1
    thanks Phillymiket! Glad you like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Sehenry03 View Post
    Never done a screen shot on the forums so no idea where to begin. But it should work on epic the same.

The basic idea is that the sphere gets the beholders agro first and the sphere has a time limit and no hp's so it can't be 1 shot and killed. Anytime the beholder attacks something it keeps its attention on that something for a few seconds...maybe evem up to 10 seconds of free attacking and no con drain. That's usually enough time for a decent group to do enough damage for the floor to fall out. Then summon another sphere and the beholders agro resets after the floor falls out so it attacks the sphere again since the party SHOULD be feather falling down so again you should have 5-10 seconds of free attacking on the beholder again. Rinse/Repeat til the final floor.
    Will do--I should be able to hit Orchard in a few weeks--am leveling slowly--so I will experiment at least on EH with my current vamp monk build.
    If anyone else is reading this and would like to try to experiment with this on epic play, and get a screenie, I would appreciate it!
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Member

Hi,

Really good post, OP, thanks very much for this.

Take care.

Community Member

Thanks Blerk for bumping this thread and TYVM Saekee for making it.
    Now all we need is a video of a full party of UMDers casting Flaming Spheres in GoP set to Jerry Lee Lewis' Great Balls of Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehenry03 View Post
    Little late on the forums for this but if anyone is still looking for uses...the best by far IMHO is to cast in GoP during the drop to the ghostly beholder.

The flaming sphere gets agro for a few seconds and that's usually long enough to kill the boss at each level and summon another one during the next drop.
    I played with this briefly and it does work. Didn't manage a decent screenie but my gimp toon at the time was running eGoP on the lowest difficulty settting (ahem...) so I was too embarrassed to make a screenie anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

Really good post, OP, thanks very much for this.

Take care.
    Glad you liked it blerkington!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    Thanks Blerk for bumping this thread and TYVM Saekee for making it.
    Now all we need is a video of a full party of UMDers casting Flaming Spheres in GoP set to Jerry Lee Lewis' Great Balls of Fire.
    Alfhild this is great--I can't make vids but it would be funny to make a tutorial on the themes here with that song in the background.

I need to update this thread with some of my 'act/kill in plain sight' studies. Will do it later.
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Default Draw the Orthons and Barbed Devil Spawns in Sins of Attrition

Cast it before you are near them, then sneak. Works really well!

So in a recent thread about light sources, someone suggested trying Flaming Sphere.

I haven't had a chance yet to pick up some scrolls to test this out, but I'm wondering if this would really work. I'd love a way to light up some of the really dark dungeon areas where I can't see to play.

Utterly brilliant.
    Where do I sign up for the fan club? I wanna sign up for the Fan Club!

Last edited by Memnir; 05-12-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Cast it before you are near them, then sneak. Works really well!

Neat idea. Only problem in that dungeon is that you can't leave them mesmerized, right? Otherwise they'll soon collect again and cause Dungeon Alert so massive that you'll crash the server. It's great for tactical use, I think, as it makes it really easy for a party to slap the devils down with less aggro.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica 2nd Edition: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    (Stormreach Shadows updates are in indefinite hiatus.)
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    So in a recent thread about light sources, someone suggested trying Flaming Sphere.

I haven't had a chance yet to pick up some scrolls to test this out, but I'm wondering if this would really work. I'd love a way to light up some of the really dark dungeon areas where I can't see to play.
    hi DANTEIL, it does not work as a lightsource, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Utterly brilliant.
    Where do I sign up for the fan club? I wanna sign up for the Fan Club!
    Done Memnir! And thx for the rep!

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherSyn View Post
    Neat idea. Only problem in that dungeon is that you can't leave them mesmerized, right? Otherwise they'll soon collect again and cause Dungeon Alert so massive that you'll crash the server. It's great for tactical use, I think, as it makes it really easy for a party to slap the devils down with less aggro.
    Hi Spence, it does not trigger DA! That is the nice thing about the Sphere. It is unlike a summon which triggers direct aggro. I think the coding makes it similar to a noisemaker--they walk up to it slowly and inspect it in the same way. Unlike a noisemaker, it moves and goes towards them, and even lasts a little longer. Of course, casting it breaks stealth.

Default new use: The Mask of Deception

use the Cultist's traps against them in The Mask of Deception!

Here are shots from Heroic elite; the first pic is the beginning of the lure, the second after a while of their standing in the traps:

Community Member

nice!
    this was one of my favorite spells in my first life (was a wizard)
    i never used it to distract enemies though, but i knew it could set stuff on fire

i assume the distracted enemies are vulnerable to sneak attacks? and are less likely to detect you sneaking up to them?
    that would be a nice tool for a stealthy rogue with some umd

since i haven't rolled a rogue yet and i always wanted to TR into a sneaky one
    i guess i'll try this, it seems like this is alot of fun!
    thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadazia View Post
    nice!
    this was one of my favorite spells in my first life (was a wizard)
    i never used it to distract enemies though, but i knew it could set stuff on fire

i assume the distracted enemies are vulnerable to sneak attacks? and are less likely to detect you sneaking up to them?
    that would be a nice tool for a stealthy rogue with some umd

since i haven't rolled a rogue yet and i always wanted to TR into a sneaky one
    i guess i'll try this, it seems like this is alot of fun!
    thanks for sharing!
    hi Lanadazia, thanks for your comments! I don't recommend it as a spell, though, since there are better ones--the scroll casting is cheap and easy.
    Distracted enemies are vulnerable to sneak attack, but only on the first hit. Then they stop gazing at the pretty fire ball and go after you. They will be less likely to perceive someone in stealth only in that they are facing a different direction, which counts for a lot. And yes--I think rogues and ninjas benefit the most from this thread!

I am still occasionally updating my findings. I use them in lots of situations; I plan to add just the bizarre stuff. For example, in Blown to Bits, it is fun to cast one before setting a charge. The timing is about right to draw mobs from the other side of the crates close enough to get hit by the explosion.

The main thing is that stealth and invisibility break when you cast it (unless you use some of the clever tricks mentioned above, like Improved Invisiblity). Hence it must be cast out of sight.

What is nice is that it follows you, albeit at the speed of a massively obese daschund.

This is awesome. I'm wondering all the fun places I could use it.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Default with some skill you can use it to move the penultimate Guardian as well

The second-to-last guardian in Claw can be tricky as well. On heroic elite, I can sometimes step on the pad right in front of it while invisible and it does not spot me. However, this one was a champ and had true sight. I tried using my standard trick which is to hide on the ramp and hit the breakable there with a thrown weapon. This did not work (with noisemakers, this is easy, but my current rogue splash does not have them yet...). So I summoned a flaming sphere, went invisi and stealth, and moved out of the area. It drew the scorpion and I was able to subdue it.

On 5/2017 I found out that it can be used also to pull the fire giant out of the first corridor:

Last edited by Saekee; 05-17-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Default This made my day. Enough said, for all those following this thread!

Projected in the Mabar event!

thanks devs!

Community Member

thanks devs!
    Now if we can get the dev's to make them purple.

thanks devs!
    I was hoping you saw this new item. I've made it a priority to make several.

Given how so few people used this spell until you noted it, I'm betting the devs have a few fans of your idea.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica 2nd Edition: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    (Stormreach Shadows updates are in indefinite hiatus.)
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherSyn View Post
    I was hoping you saw this new item. I've made it a priority to make several.

Given how so few people used this spell until you noted it, I'm betting the devs have a few fans of your idea.
    Yes, I'd spotted this and thought of this thread. I really want one for my rogue's next life. Can't remember the cost of it in the barter window, hopefully it is inexpensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast