Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
Some examples of what I saw after adjustments:
1) 800ish damage from burglars in EE Friends in Low Places a few times (1328 before mitigation) - I didn't die so didn't have time to look at closely but I suspect a combination of crit and sneak attack.
2) 1137 from an orc barbarian (I think it was called berserker) in EE Break in the Ice which is 1887 before mitigation. I did die from this hit. I confirmed in combat log it was critical hit.

I am not suggesting death should not be possible - even one-shotting- but when a random orc does more damage than the boss something seems odd. Also, should a person with 100 fortification have the exact same penalty as someone with 180% fortification?
Hope this is just a combo of damage boost and fort bypass, and that that combo is removed. And yeah, I think they should be able to bypass all that 180% as it helps level the playing field for newer players somewhat. That 180 still works on CR 80 sneak attackers, other champions, raids with SAers, mobs that sunder, challenges, etc., if there was some magic number that'd make you immune to it then we'd all just optimize around that number rather than ever have to deal with it.

I would suggest giving champions EITHER complete fort bypass or damage boosts but not both at the same time. Having both at the same time creates the randomness that leads to one-shotting. Alternatively give the champion armor piercing of some type that doesn't exceed 100% fort bypass so people with high fortification have some benefit from it vs. someone with nothing or with only 100%.

I would even go so far as saying you can raise the damage to previous levels if you adjust this.
Agreed on the either or, similar thing with second wind. I can't see which champ has it in a sea of mobs and it's sometimes very hard to see when it triggers, either tone down second wind or make it much more obvious.

And again armour piercing is bad, just build for it and it becomes a digital thing. Do I have fort that works or fort that doesn't? That's what happened with the sneak attacking mobs that could bypass their CR in fortification over 100%, we just built toons with 100+ max CR fortification so we never saw it.