Thread: help with a twf

Default help with a twf

hello everyone!

first time posting (o maybe second in like 5 years)

i need your help guys, i have a ranger 15/ fighter 4/rogue1, elven with scimitars. DEX based... and i works fine, but i know now that i dont like elves on this game XD, so im not enyoying the character.

hes based on twf (not bow) and can handle traps.

i was thinking in something i really like, and end up with:

human, 11 ranger/8 fighter/ 1 rogue, STR based on kopeshes or bastard swords

11 ranger for the 2wf feats, and tempest enhancements
    8 fighter for feats and kensai enhancements
    1 rogue, at lv 20 to do traps

all points on STR, high CON and INT

is this char viable? what do you think?

how critical is it that you keep rogue skills?

Are you adverse to playing a paladin?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Have a look at Noyellowbar if you want to stick with a mostly ranger build. The fighter splash can be replaced with rogue if you want trap skills.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

You indicate 1 rogue at 20 for traps.

That wouldn't work.

You need to take level 1 as rogue and put points into trapping at every level to be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by cronusdeathspell View Post
    You indicate 1 rogue at 20 for traps.

That wouldn't work.

You need to take level 1 as rogue and put points into trapping at every level to be viable.
    Which you can do with 1 level of rogue.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-Boy View Post
    Which you can do with 1 level of rogue.
    Not if you take the one level of rogue at level 20. :P

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Not if you take the one level of rogue at level 20. :P
    Doh! My bad, didn't see that.

Community Member

The build you list is very viable, and should have good ranged burst DPS and good melee DPS.... but far from the best. With the latest updates ranger has largely been left wanting by swashbuckler, vanguard, paladin in general, and of course by monk splash centered Kensei before that (could do 12/6/2 [for power surge] or 8/6/6 to still get your bow skills, evasion, etc). But yes, you would likely have fun playing an 11/8/1, though you'll have a tough time maintaining rogue skills and won't have power surge or DM to raise your damage and stun DCs, no paladin for saves/holy sword, no swashbuckler for, well... swashbuckler, no monk for stance + yellowbar + shadow veil.

Is it min-maxed? No. Is it viable? Absolutely.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Don't knock rangers until you've had a chance to give Dance of Death a good workout.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Don't knock rangers until you've had a chance to give Dance of Death a good workout.
    I'm back to ranger after knocking out a couple bard/pally lives. The only thing I keep thinking is God this is weak, could use 14 pally levels.

Currently the most powerful twf builds take at least 14 pally, though the sweet spot really is 15, then 5 ranger for the tier 5 tempest stuff though 4 the works too and let's you take ftr for an extra feat or rog if you're really attached to trapping.

Thanks all for the answers..

well, i already have a paladin (pure, 1hf) so i dont want to have another,

the rogue at lv 20 is for flavor, and it works to me on epics, he can spot, and disable but i dont play elites... mostly with friends, so i dont know how will he can handle on epic elite quest. maybe with good equipment can handle, not so important really, and because i dont have a character than can do traps (have a divine, an arcane and the 20 paladin 1hf)

human, because.. well i just hate how he looks now being an elf XD

just looked at noyellowbar, but i want to just do twf, not bow and arrow.

being ranger, i can have the twf feats without the DEX requeriment, and the enhancements to raise the 2wf damage
    fighter to hit the +1 to critical threat enhancement, and can be centered, taking the grandmaster of flowers ability to raise de weapon damage

and well, the 1 rogue level at 20, just for flavor :P, as i say i mostly play with friends and wife, so i want just to enjoy my char (thats the reason for not being elf, both, she and me just hate the elf skin)

feats i like:

thougness
    all 2wf line
    oversized weapon
    empower healing
    exotic weapon
    critical slashing
    maybe dodge, mobility and spring attack

and as i say, using kopeshes or bastard swords
    points full on STR, some CON and INT

i think the bad on this toon will be low saves

well, i just posted this to learn more about the game, so tried to explain the best i could

Community Member

Default Ranger Build

Seems that the general consensus is that there should be monk in there for 10k. It is apparently the only way to go while keeping up ranged DPS. For years I have played rangers and have found it better not to melee with a ranger heavy build. Not enough dps or con to either quickly kill or take hits. With that said, If you want to melee with a burst of ranged or use ranged to supplement your melee when needed, then fighter/ monk/ ranger build is the way to go. I myself, not a go to guy for information for I haven't played solid in the last year or so due to real life. But, the Ranger threads give some good information on it. I have found that regardless of the build, you have to have the gear to support it. I don't have that kind of time myself to grind grind grind, but I am working on past lives so I can get my ranger in a good spot to do what ever is needed for the build when I'm done.

Default NoYellowBar

The NoYellowBar updated build actualy focuses on TWF and uses Range only when manyshot is off timer. In the newest raid Mark of Death having a melee/range hybrid is very effective for a variety of reasons, the main one being that you can still dps when your target is in a blue cloud or the inferno is up, this helps maintain reasonable party dps when a pure melee would not be contributing.
    The play style of the hybrid twf/range pal/rgr is very different to a pure swf, but if its simply a flavor thing of not wanting to have two paladins then give NoYellowBar another look.

:O maybe i didnt see the updated noyellowbar.

i will take a look at it again, thanks.

can you guys continue helping me?

i still have that char taking dust in the wardrobe...

i want to be human, just twf kopesh or maybe bastard sword, nothing more (no ranged, bow or anything, just plain twf)

the thing is... many time ago i remember him being the old "exploiter build" and i have good memories playing that, so i was thinking on having 8 fighter lvs, being centered to take "a dance of flowers" from the grand master ED.

i still want 1 or 2 lvs or rogue to have fun disabling traps and stuff... (1 is enough?)

but i dont know anymore... maybe monk? paladin? more fighter?

i apreciate your help, i dont want to be the super character, just have fun and dont be a wimp, i often read the forums complaining about bad characters, and have bad experiences at partys on quest i cant handle, and it feels bad.
    (please, human twf, and can disable traps and open locks)... survivability included XD.

i have him ready to TR, just want and END life, dont want to TR him anymore.. i already have my completionist proyect on another toon.
    My char has 3 ranger past life.. but i am really sure now i dislike the ranged style of play XD, i have harper tree, maybe high INT?
    Last edited by zeraphel; 11-06-2014 at 06:54 PM.