Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Barbarian - Ravager Changes

Greetings,

Here are the proposed changes for the Barbarian's Ravager tree. The Ravager has been updated to focus on blood rage, and as such the tree gives blood related abilities including the top ability to heal as the Ravager attacks foes. We've also moved some of the bonus damage to be bane since there was no clear explanation or understanding of what creatures were affected by alignment based damage.

(If you see "---" that means text was removed; likely a penalty or condition.)

Core abilities

Furious Rage: (1 AP, Level 1) When you are raging and miss your attack by rolling 1, you gain Fury for 6 seconds. Fury: +1 Rage bonus to attack and damage. This effect stacks up to 6 times and one stack fades every 6 seconds.

Pain Touch: (1 AP, Level 3) Your melee attacks deal 1d6 extra damage. --- This damage scales with 100% Melee Power. Passive: You gain +10 healing amplification.

Demoralizing Success: (1 AP, Level 6) When you score a vorpal hit in melee, you inflict Crushing Despair on nearby enemies for 30 seconds on a failed DC 20 Will saving throw. You then inflict Vulnerable Will for 15 seconds, regardless of the Crushing Despair saving throw. Passive: You gain +30 hit points and +10 healing amplification.

Pain Touch: (1 AP, Level 12) Upgrades Pain Touch so your melee attacks deal 2d6 extra damage. This damage scales with 100% Melee Power. Passive: You gain +60 hit points and +20 healing amplification.

Subsiding Fury: (1 AP, Level 18) When you use Barbarian Rage, you gain 3 stacks of Fury. Passive: You gain +100 hit points and +20 healing amplification.

Visage of Terror: (1 AP, Level 20) Terrorize all enemies around you, killing them with fear if they fail a Will save vs 10 + Constitution modifier + half barbarian level. Enemies who make their saving throw are briefly paralyzed with fear instead. (Cost 1 Rage. Cooldown: 30 seconds. Passive: You gain +4 Constitution, +150 hit points and +40 healing amplification.

Tier One

Ritual Scarring: (1/1/1 AP) +[1/2/3] Intimidate, Haggle and Physical Resistance.

Hate: (1/1/1 AP) Melee Attack: Deals +(1/2/3)[W] damage and generate extra threat. (Cooldown: 15 seconds)

Do You Like Pain?: (1/1/1 AP) When you are hit: [20/40/60]% chance attacker loses 10 AC.

Barbarian Power Attack: (1/1/1 AP, Requires Power Attack) Your Power Attack feat does 1/2/3 additional point of bonus damage ---.

Hardy Rage: (1/1/1 AP) +[1/2/3] Constitution when raging.

Tier Two (Requires Barbarian Level 2, 5 APs spent in tree)

Fear me!: (2 AP, Requires: Ritual Scarring) When you intimidate, affected enemies are Shaken for 6 seconds. DC 10 + Strength Modifier + Barbarian Level (Note that the DC is currently 13)

Mutilate: (1/1/1 AP, Requires Hate) Hate additionally deals 1d4/1d6/1d8 Charisma damage and 1d4/1d6/1d8 bane damage. The bane damage scales with 200% Melee Power.

I Like Pain: (1/1/1 AP, Requires: Do You Like Pain?) When you are hit: Small chance to gain 50/100/150 Temporary HP. The gain scales with 100% melee power.

Cruel Cut: (1/1/1 AP) Melee Attack: Deals 1d6/2d6/3d6 extra constitution damage as long as you damage your target. (Cooldown: 30 seconds)

Action Boost: Melee Power: (1/1/1 AP) Activate this ability to receive a +[10/20/30] Action Boost bonus to Melee Power for 20 seconds. (Cooldown: 30 seconds)

Tier Three (Requires Barbarian Level 3, 10 APs spent in tree)

Aura of Fear: (1/1/1 AP, Requires: Fear Me!) Nearby enemies receive a -2 penalty to Strength and Charisma.
    ~ Rank 2: Nearby enemies receive a -2 penalty to Strength, Charisma, Dexterity and Wisdom.
    ~ Rank 3: Nearby enemies receive a -2 penalty to all ability scores.

Slaughter: (1/1/1 AP) Melee Attack: Deals +(5/7.5/10)[W] damage. (Cooldown: 30 seconds)

Festering Wound: (1/1/1 AP Requires: Cruel Cut) Cruel Cut additionally inflicts 1/2/3 5-seconds stacks of 1d6 Poison damage every 2 seconds and the target loses -50% healing amplification for 5/10/15 seconds. This poison damage scales with 200% Melee Power. Damage stacks fade one at a time.

Constitution/Strength: (2 AP) +1 Constitution or Strength

Tier Four (Requires Barbarian Level 4, 20 APs spent in tree)

Laughter: (2 AP, Requires: Slaughter) For many Ravagers, there's no Laughter without Slaughter.
    When Slaughter damages an enemy, you gain 3 Fury. When Slaughter scores a critical hit on an enemy, you gain an additional 3 Fury and 10 Melee Power for 15 seconds.

I Hit Back!: (1/1/1 AP, Requires: I Like Pain) When you are hit: 20% chance to deal 2d8/4d8/6d8 bane damage to attacker. This damage scales with 100% Melee Power.

Dismember: (1/1/1 AP, Requires: Festering Wound) Cruel Cut increases Melee Power by 5 for 10 seconds. Cruel Cut additionalyl slows enemy movement speed, or slows attack speed, or deals 2d4/2d6/2d8 bane damage, or deals 6d4/6d6/6d8 bane damage. This bane damage scales with 200% Melee Power.

Constitution/Strength: (2 AP) +1 Constitution or Strength

Tier Five (Requires Barbarian Level 5, Character Level 12, 30 APs spent in tree)

Blood Strength: (2 AP) Each time you land a hit you are healed for 1d4 hit points. Each time you kill an opponent you are healed for 1d20 hit points. This healing scales with 100% Melee Power.

Bully: (1/1/1 AP, Requires: I Hit back!) You deal +[5/10/15]% damage to helpless enemies.
    Requires: I Hit back!

Critical Fury: (2 AP) While raging, each hit also grants 1 stack of Fury.

Critical Rage: (2/2 AP) Increases your critical threat range by 1/2 when raging.

(Note that Critical Rage no longer requires the Cruel Cut line.)

~Sev
    Last edited by Severlin; 10-27-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    ...This damage triggers at most once per second....
    Can you explain why limitations like this are used?

Community Member

Default For all Three Trees...

Please, don't put heals in the Barb Trees... Switch them out to temporary Hit points (So that we can keep the feel of a Barbarian). You could even increase the timer for Temp HP by a min or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurrander View Post
    Please, don't put heals in the Barb Trees... Switch them out to temporary spell points (So that we can keep the feel of a Barbarian)
    What?

This is not pen and paper, the game has long ago left that station. Without heals, Barbarians are a dead class in this game. Temporary Spell points? What about when raging?
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Community Member

Default Sorry about the typo

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    What?

This is not pen and paper, the game has long ago left that station. Without heals, Barbarians are a dead class in this game. Temporary Spell points? What about when raging?
    I meant Temporary Hit Points (not spell points)... barbs are one of the few none healing Classes in the game (along with Fighters/Rogues/and fleshy arcanes "excluding pale masters") and that's one of the things that makes them special. I'm not saying they should be left without any way to survive, just that they shouldn't be a "Self Healing" class. If these new sources of healing were made into Temp HP instead the only loss would be the lack of boost form healing amp, and for that you could just make Temp HP scale higher with Melee Power. Its not as though Giving them stacking Temp HP instead of Heals (on a refreshing timer) would make them any weaker than Heals, it would simply let them stay "Barbarians".

I'm against giving barbs HAMP at each core (except for 1) in every tree. If you are a pure barb, you get 100 Hamp from one tree, then you can get additional 60 more from two other trees. That's huge. If you couple it with some Hamp gear, your barb can easily get over 200 Hamp. Then adding something like Blood Strenght, you get healed for 1d4 when you hit an enemy and 1d20 for a kill, which even scales with MP, means they'll be easily one of the most self-sufficient classes. Not to mention all those Temp HP you can get for being hit and so on. That just seems wrong.
    Last edited by brzytki; 10-24-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute-Omniscience View Post
    Did Einstein solo eLoB without pots or what?
    Guild: Captain's Crew
    Characters: Kyorli , Xunrae , Halisstra , Nyarly

Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post
    Can you explain why limitations like this are used?
    The internal cooldown will be gone. OP is updated.

Sev~

Adding responses to responses while I was posting my first response... )

The internal cooldown will be gone. OP is updated.
    This does help with the cores, certainly. Still have issues as described in the other post but at least some dps is there now.

We will look into this. If the capstone doesn't have an auto paralyze (works even if the save is made against death) then it is too weak.
    Even with it, its too weak. So what if you can auto paralyze ~10 mobs per shrine. You then have almost no minutes of rage, which after 20 barbarian (a requirement for this, dont forget) means you have almost nothing. You can get the same effect by twisting in Daunting Presence and just hitting it every 2 min, hoping 1 mob out of a pack fails, and killing that. And counting twists here is completely reasonable... you cant get this until 20, meaning as soon as it arrives so does epic. Oh sure, with the capstone you can pick single mobs out, ok great. So can any class with power word stun, or monks, or bards, or any number of other things. Its just not a capstone regardless.

Rest of my thoughts on it are in the other post... I just wanted to comment that the paralyze portion doesnt suddenly make it capstone good. Theres a whole lot of ways to get that at 20+ which dont consume the classes core mechanic, the one the rest of its abilities rest on. I mean Extra Rage isnt even in this tree... you realize that ya?

Maybe swap Extra Rage to here, Hardy Rage to OS, and Extended Rage to FB. Make Extended Rage extend Frenzy. Then all three make sense with the trees they are in (less clicky maintenance for FB, more Con for OS, more Rages to use with Ravager). When U18 hit Barb, their abilities definitely got put in a blender as far as what went where. A little moving probably wouldnt go unwelcome... case in point here.

Critical Rage: (2 AP) Increases your critical threat range by 1/2 when raging.
    Can't tell if this was supposed to change in some way or not. You only have a single cost listed (2 instead of 2/2) but the threat range still states a 1/2 bonus.

Are the core abilities cumulative? Hit points for example.
    Khyber : Agraell, Bellafontas, Olethrio, Tiropitaki, Tserp

Community Member

Visage of Terror seems like a very bad capstone. I don't think there are enough rages available to use that more than a couple times per shrine (you have 10 maybe?), and no good way to get them to recharge that I know of. DC doesn't seem like it would get into a usable range anyways. It seems extremely sad compared to the somewhat similar Coup de Grace, particularly since it is a capstone.

Quote Originally Posted by silisav View Post
    Are the core abilities cumulative? Hit points for example.
    Yes.

Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post
    Can't tell if this was supposed to change in some way or not. You only have a single cost listed (2 instead of 2/2) but the threat range still states a 1/2 bonus.
    Fixed.

Sev~

Visage of Terror: (1 AP, Level 20) Terrorize an enemy, killing them with fear if they fail a Will save vs 10 + Constitution modifier + half barbarian level. Enemies who make their saving throw are briefly paralyzed with fear instead. (Cost 1 Rage. Cooldown: 30 seconds. Passive: You gain +4 Constitution, +150 hit points and +40 healing amplification.

~Sev
    Can we please see the rage cost removed? Or atleast make the ability an AoE effect like the old Wail of the Banshee, otherwise this capstone is still kind of a waste.

Community Member

Furious Rage: (1 AP, Level 1) When you are raging and miss your attack by rolling 1, you gain Fury for 6 seconds. Fury: +1 Rage bonus to attack and damage. This effect stacks up to 6 times and one stack fades every 6 seconds.
    For the record, that stack size of 6 had always been there, just not in the description.

Community Member

Visage of Terror: (1 AP, Level 20) Terrorize an enemy, killing them with fear if they fail a Will save vs 10 + Constitution modifier + half barbarian level. Enemies who make their saving throw are briefly paralyzed with fear instead. (Cost 1 Rage. Cooldown: 30 seconds. Passive: You gain +4 Constitution, +150 hit points and +40 healing amplification.
    1. It is kinda boring that the passives for Ravager capstone are the same as Frenzied Berserker. I suggest giving something else instead of heal amp, and changing the +4 con to +2 str +2 con +4 cha.

2. Last time I tried, the paralyze part of Ravager capstone didn't work. (Although I haven't been pure Barb in a long while)

3. Rages are important; running out of Rages is really bad. It's not often a good idea to spend 1 Rage for a chance to kill/stun a non-boss enemy. But it's a fun concept that a Ravager can sometimes scare an enemy to death just by yelling at him! Therefore, I suggest changing Visage of Terror to have 0 rage cost, 60 second cooldown, extremely fast casting time, and two saving throws (Fort+Will like Phantasmal Killer).

4. It would be natural that someone who knows how to scare enemies to death would have Fear Immunity himself. Maybe also Pain Immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabbler View Post
    2. Last time I tried, the paralyze part of Ravager capstone didn't work. (Although I haven't been pure Barb in a long while)
    We will look into this. If the capstone doesn't have an auto paralyze (works even if the save is made against death) then it is too weak.

Sev~

Sev~
    I think it maybe too weak even then as it burns a rage. I haven't played a barb in years though, so I could be wrong. I'm not sure how many rages Epic barbs have to spare.

Btw, I think a DC in the low 50s is about the best a con build could do so it really is mostly "paralyze a mob for 1 rage"
    I can be found on Orien as Cilon
    HC7: Typhoon, Dreaded Knight, and Wish. HC6: Naivety. HC5: Who Is Here. HC4: Cylon Centurian. HC3: Soulstone in Your Pack. HC2: Carnage

Fear me!: (2 AP, Requires: Ritual Scarring) When you intimidate, affected enemies are Shaken for 6 seconds. DC 10 + Strength Modifier + Barbarian Level (Note that the DC is currently 13)
    Before enhancement pass the shaken effect was applied to all(non immune) foes you succeeded to intimidate. It would be simple and nice if it worked that way instead of two different checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin
    (Note that Critical Rage no longer requires the Cruel Cut line.)
    This is very nice considering how current epic mechanics reduce value of stat damage attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin
    Critical Fury: (2 AP) While raging, each hit also grants 1 stack of Fury.
    Max stack of 6 fury seems kind of low with things like this. It was possible to reach it with just the tier 1 Furious Rage. I could see either cores or higher level enhancements increasing the cap. +1 damage and to hit per stack from level 1 core without cap would definately overperform but +6 damage in epic play is not that big deal considering how much enhancement points you can spend on abilities that increase your fury gain. Ofcourse, this tier 5 makes reaching the max stack trivial no matter what it is. Mechanic would probably be more interesting to play with if it wasn't so easy to cap but could go higher I think. It shouldn't be incredibly hard either but now it's done with just 1 critically hit Slaughter or 6 hits while raging with Critical Fury.

The tree improvements make Ravager much more dangerous. I'm interested in trying Ravager just for the Blood Strength which seems to be strongest of the tier 5 self heal abilities at first glance.

Community Member

[COLOR=#ff0000]Blood Strength: (2 AP) Each time you land a hit you are healed for 1d4 hit points. Each time you kill an opponent you are healed for 1d20 hit points. This healing scales with 100% Melee Power.
    I really think this auto passive self-healing goes overboard when combined with the large Barbarian healing amp.

In fact, I suspect that the Barbarian healing amp goes overboard on its own, and that this feature here would be overboard even if there was no heal amp in the trees. Even if it didn't scale with melee power, gaining 2.5 hp per swing is extremely strong!

I mean, even though Barbs don't have as many speed boosts as some classes, I commonly hit 3+ times per second. That would be 460 hp per minute, before heal amp.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast