Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Church of the Silver Flame has a lawfull evil leader you can check that if you dont belive me, its in the 3.5 ed sourcebook. Might not be their god like in the LoB case, still their pallys follow their "pope" orders without questions believing that they are for the greater good.

They kill, destroy other churches temples. ( the quest from inquisitor Gnomon might not be a good example since he is trying to break it from the inside), they purged the land from shifters just because. AND their pallys still can use divine spellcasting despite doing evil stuff.

Community Member

Yep. As people have pointed out, clerics in Eberron are not restricted by their deities' alignments. As LeonAureo points out, one of the cardinals of the Silver Flame is Evil. He probably still believes in the basic ideals of the Flame: he is still a cleric able to draw on its power. But he is willing to go to extremes, and further himself using that power, which places him in the Evil alignment.

The Lycanthrope Purge that the Silver Flame carried out had pretty good reasons behind it, but there were zealots who went way too far with it (such as targetting Shifters). They believed in the Flame, they believed that they were doing Good, but they'd still go "Ping!" under a Detect Evil spell.

Look at the alignments of some of the leaders of Nations. The Good Queen of Aundair wants to restart the war, while the Evil leader of Karrnath is one of the staunchest proponents of peace. King Kaius is Evil because he is willing to kill, torture and other evil acts in order to protect Karrnath and the peace.

The Lord of Blades and Lady Vol are two examples of heads of religion that don't live up to the ideals of their worshippers. As a paladin of the LoB, a warforged would promote equality, further the interests of the WF race, and strive to be a shining example of the race's potential to others. All very LG stuff. The Lord of Blades himself is not the same as the ideal that is the centre of the religion. Eberron gods don't walk the world or dwell in a specific plane like the FR ones do.

In short, yes the devs do know the rules and the lore, apparently better than many of the people here.
    Last edited by Khatzhas; 01-13-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Though I think a lot of what I've read about in the Eberron campaign is interesting, I still have a hard time taking the the question of Eberron "lore" seriously. However well they've done, the whole campaign was just something made up by another group of sweaty gamers. That is, it's an ad hoc campaign setting rather than even a fictional world. I just don't get how people can immerse themselves in the "lore" as opposed to the actual games we're playing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    Though I think a lot of what I've read about in the Eberron campaign is interesting, I still have a hard time taking the the question of Eberron "lore" seriously. However well they've done, the whole campaign was just something made up by another group of sweaty gamers. That is, it's an ad hoc campaign setting rather than even a fictional world. I just don't get how people can immerse themselves in the "lore" as opposed to the actual games we're playing.
    It was made up by someone who makes D&D content professionally. Just like Ed Greenwood, Gary Gygax etc. It simply managed to be chosen from many competing settings rather than getting grandfathered in due to history. I don't think that there are any D&D fictional worlds that weren't made up by gamers, so I'm not quite sure what your meaning was there.
    Eberron has stayed quite true to its creator's vision, and he regularly posts about it. Its lore is generally consistent (although 4th ed D&D caused a few adjustments. :-). Its nowhere near as ad hoc as the Forgotten Realms for example, which due to its "all published material is canon" rule has been added to by everyone who wrote a novel set there as well as the official WotC products.

Having said that, it has quite a different take on many concepts, not all of which are well received. In FR, the Gods are Hellenic in nature, able to be assaulted by mortals, occasionally walking the world in manifest form, and humping author avatars. In Eberron, they are a matter of pure faith: most people believe the Devourer causes storms and Arawei good crops, but no one can prove it, talk to her in person, or visit her house.
    Likewise alignment and motivations are less clear-cut in Eberron.

Generally people will have a preference for one world or the other. Particularly for roleplayers, immersing ourselves in the lore of the Realms or Eberron rather than just game mechanics can be as interesting. Different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    is this thread still allive? fascinating.....
    The lore is nothing more then a method of setting things in motion.
    though i have to admit that due to the "blured" allignment system in eberon situations felt more mature and layered then most of the d&d settings i have played, though the gm might have something to do with that.
    Eberon goes a little beyond: me pali, you scales not shinny, me smash conveniently collor coded dragon.
    it might not have as many rulebooks, let allone all those godawefull fanfiction books that spawned a million xxXdrizzlecloneXxx in the harbor....
    But it's still regarded by many as a lot beter written then the mary sue charracters in the vanilla realms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12