Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fighter / Paladin

I've got a toon dedicated to being a fighter. I'm thinking going Fighter / pally, THF, heavy armor. My initial thought was going Fighter 16, with 4 levels of paladin mainly for the LoH, saves, and smites.

Comments / suggestions / recommendations?

A few conditions:

1) No Bladeforged. I don't want to play around with Iconics.

2) No monk. If the case can be made for Fighter / Cleric (which I've already done), Fighter FvS, or something else I have no problem with that. But keep it to 2 classes only, no monk. It seems everyone splashes monk these days. I want something different.

3) My toon already has loads of heavy armor and great swords. That's the direction I want to take.

4) I already have a Paladin toon. This guy is my dedicated fighter. So fighter has to be the main class in the build.

5) I don't need a full breakdown of a class, just basic stats, what trees you'd hit, and why.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    I've got a toon dedicated to being a fighter. I'm thinking going Fighter / pally, THF, heavy armor. My initial thought was going Fighter 16, with 4 levels of paladin mainly for the LoH, saves, and smites.

A few conditions:

2) No monk. If the case can be made for Fighter / Cleric (which I've already done), Fighter FvS, or something else I have no problem with that. But keep it to 2 classes only, no monk. It seems everyone splashes monk these days. I want something different.

3) My toon already has loads of heavy armor and great swords. That's the direction I want to take.

4) I already have a Paladin toon. This guy is my dedicated fighter. So fighter has to be the main class in the build.

5) I don't need a full breakdown of a class, just basic stats, what trees you'd hit, and why.
    I personally like 12/8 Fighter Cleric.

Max Str (+Level Ups)
    Enough Wis to cast (No use building for DC's)
    Good CON
    Good CHR (Get this as high as you can without sacrificing CON)

Kensai/Warpriest for Divine Might, Ameliorating strike, Power Surge and Keen Edge.
    Divine Crusader or Legendary Dreadnaught destiny.

This provides decent self Healing and pretty strong Melee Capability.
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

Community Member

I've got a few options for you (not all exactly to spec but pretty close)

You could go 18/2 with a S&B build then twist in/go into Divine Crusader for Bane of Undeath (e.g. Divine Might). Doing this would let you get tons of strength bonuses Kensai, Stalwart Stance and Divine Might while also getting 'almost' the full benefit of Vanguards cores. All told, you'd hit like a truck, bash people with a shield -really- hard and with all those feats get glancing blows when using a Bsword/Daxe.

Plus you'd get a very solid bonus to survivability because of the tower shield's 2x bonus to MRR against reflex save spells. Finally, with all that strength, the kensai tree and the vanguard tree you'd have incredibly high stunning shield/blow DC's.

Otherwise you could go 12/8 or 14/6 for more spells and into the KotC tree for more 'on-hit' damage cores. Plus that would mean you could Tier 5 either class trees depending on how you like to play. Given that I don't think Kensai adds much to a class outside of tier 5 this may allow for some strong options.

Community Member

Pure 20 pally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Pure 20 pally.
    Got one of those.

Community Member

Got one of those.
    it's still probably the best option for a THFing DPS pally. Maybe 18/2 if you really want to spend enhancement points on haste boost though you can get the same thing from Legendary Dreadnaught. i think the third 4th level spell is more useful over all.

TWFing has some other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
    Given that I don't think Kensai adds much to a class outside of tier 5 this may allow for some strong options.
    Power Surge and 19% Double Strike are a lot. Kensai is a good tree and probably better then KotC if you just look at the trees and not the base class.

Quote Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
    I've got a few options for you (not all exactly to spec but pretty close)

You could go 18/2 with a S&B build then twist in/go into Divine Crusader for Bane of Undeath (e.g. Divine Might). Doing this would let you get tons of strength bonuses Kensai, Stalwart Stance and Divine Might while also getting 'almost' the full benefit of Vanguards cores. All told, you'd hit like a truck, bash people with a shield -really- hard and with all those feats get glancing blows when using a Bsword/Daxe.

Plus you'd get a very solid bonus to survivability because of the tower shield's 2x bonus to MRR against reflex save spells. Finally, with all that strength, the kensai tree and the vanguard tree you'd have incredibly high stunning shield/blow DC's.

Otherwise you could go 12/8 or 14/6 for more spells and into the KotC tree for more 'on-hit' damage cores. Plus that would mean you could Tier 5 either class trees depending on how you like to play. Given that I don't think Kensai adds much to a class outside of tier 5 this may allow for some strong options.
    I already have a S&B pally, and this one has a load of great swords, so that S&B route is out.

The 12/8 and 12/6 sound promising. I haven’t gone into Lamma land, so I have no idea what Vanguard is going to give me. At present I am looking to run up the Kensai tree to tier 5 (agreed, that after lvl 12 you sort of hit a point of diminishing returns), and right now I am looking at splitting the pally levels between SD and KotC mainly for extra smites and LoH. Can you explain to me what Vanguard will bring to the table?

Community Member

The 12/8 and 12/6 sound promising.
    No

Holy Sword is that good.

Going Pure gets you Holy Sword, Zeal, and Cure Serious Wounds. It's why pure 20 looks like the best bet.

And human/PDK for the extra feat and hjealing amp.

No

Holy Sword is that good.

Going Pure gets you Holy Sword, Zeal, and Cure Serious Wounds. It's why pure 20 looks like the best bet.

Except...he want a Fighter. He already has a Paladin.
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

No

Holy Sword is that good.

Ummm...what part of "I already got that" didn't you understand.

And yeah ON MY DEDICATED PALADIN Holy Sword is going to be great. But I don't want a dedicated Paladin, I want a fighter. Otherwise, I would have posted under the section that deals with Paladins...not the one that deals with Fighters.

Likewise, your attempted troll is ham-fisted at best.

A few conditions:

You have kind of hit the trifect of limitations No Monk, No Bladeforged, and Must use Greatswords aka no Dwarf. IMO the two good fighter builds coming out of U23 are 20 Fighter Bladeforged or 20 Fighter Dwarf with Throw Your Weight Around, neither of those meet your requirements nor do any of the Samurai style builds (Fighter/Monk/Paladin).

Given your restrictions 16/4 is as good as anything else. Only other recommendation would be the Kensei Warpriest type build you already dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    You have kind of hit the trifect of limitations No Monk, No Bladeforged, and Must use Greatswords aka no Dwarf. IMO the two good fighter builds coming out of U23 are 20 Fighter Bladeforged or 20 Fighter Dwarf with Throw Your Weight Around, neither of those meet your requirements nor do any of the Samurai style builds (Fighter/Monk/Paladin).

Given your restrictions 16/4 is as good as anything else. Only other recommendation would be the Kensei Warpriest type build you already dismissed.
    That's because I already went down the Fighter / Cleric road. Now I'm going somewhere else.

Secondly, I don't like playing iconics (don't like having to pay to play a toon), and everyone throws monk into everything. Which means it goes down the road of FotM.

I don't generally see many Fighter / pally builds. This may be because they are mediocre. It may be because people throw P2W Bladeforged and Monk into everything by default. So, exploring the possibilities based on the limitations I put in there.

If you don't like the limitations, then don't participate. Your reasons are duly noted.

That's because I already went down the Fighter / Cleric road. Now I'm going somewhere else.

Secondly, I don't like playing iconics (don't like having to pay to play a toon), and everyone throws monk into everything. Which means it goes down the road of FotM.

I don't generally see many Fighter / pally builds. This may be because they are mediocre. It may be because people throw P2W Bladeforged and Monk into everything by default. So, exploring the possibilities based on the limitations I put in there.

If you don't like the limitations, then don't participate. Your reasons are duly noted.
    Was saying all that to get a feel for how much wiggle room there is, clearly none as you didn't even like the Dwarf idea, just go with the 16/4 It will meat your needs, I would go with Human for the healing amp and would probably twist cocoon while running in DC, will be a bit of a struggle to get the SP you need for that might think of going 12/8 Fighter Paladin for more SP lose of 2 feat probably wont be a big deal. Another Idea might be 12/4/4 Fighter/Paladin/Ranger to fit in the bow feat if you are interested probably gets you more SP as well if you don't dump WIS.

Community Member

A few conditions:

My build is not to your spec, but maybe it will give you something to think about. Right now I have a Bladeforged 12 Fighter / 5 FvS / 3 Pally build. FvS Warpriest for the Religious Weapon Enhancement. Pally for Bladeforged weapon feats. Fighter for Kensei. I went with 3 pally because I didnt have a +1 Lesser Heart Wood or Id probably go 15 Fighter / 5 FvS. Great greatswords bonuses and great self healing from Bladeforged.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylathor View Post
    My build is not to your spec, but maybe it will give you something to think about. Right now I have a Bladeforged 12 Fighter / 5 FvS / 3 Pally build. FvS Warpriest for the Religious Weapon Enhancement. Pally for Bladeforged weapon feats. Fighter for Kensei. I went with 3 pally because I didnt have a +1 Lesser Heart Wood or Id probably go 15 Fighter / 5 FvS. Great greatswords bonuses and great self healing from Bladeforged.
    On the Fighter / FvS build, what did you go with as your main stats, and what were your main trees for both classes?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

To flesh out my ftr 12 / FvS 4 / pal 4 idea:
    • Stats: STR-based, obviously, with good CHA for Div Might + Div Grace bonuses. Strong CON too, ofc, rest is up to you.
    • Feats: the usual suspects - Power Atk/Cleave/GC, IC:Slash, WF/WS/GWF:Slash, THF x3. So that's 10 feats out of 14 (15 if human). I'd add in some tactics feats (Imp Sunder, Stunning Blow); if you're doing epics I'd want Emp Heal for ED abilities (Rejuv Cocoon etc.).
    • Enhancements: at lease 31 APs for Keen Edge & Power Surge and 22 APs for Div Might & Ameliorating Strike, leaving 27 APs free. Right now I would put at least 11 APs into SD for defensive stance; after U23 goes live, at least 13 APs for +6 STR (up to 24 APs for +20% HPs & Swift Defense as well).

Should have good DPS, high saves, and some self-healing; U23 will improve the defensive benefits of hvy armor as well as Gtr Stance bonuses.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.