Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Manager

Default The "Official" D&D Starter Set/Next Gen Discussion Thread!

If you aren't aware, tomorrow officially brings the D&D Starter Set to retail (although I've been hearing that some local game stores may already have it!) Since this, along with the free release of the Basic Rules on wizards.com, could be seen as the start of the new D&D set, I figured we should create a place to talk about it!

Want to talk "5th Edition/D&D Next?" Let's chat!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

Thanks for reminding me, there's a game shop w/a dungeon 2 blocks from me. Going there in an hour.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

We bought a copy Saturday (I wonder if it wasn't supposed to be there?) but we haven't had time to try it yet. My husband was in the beta, and he thinks I'll like it as it's supposedly a bit closer to my beloved 2nd ed.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

I went to the local game store and the D&D section was replaced with Pathfinder books. All the D&D stuff was moved to a small shelf in the back corner of the store.

What kind of crazy mixed up world do we live where D&D is not the primary role-playing game any more!
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Great way to start the week!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    If you aren't aware, tomorrow officially brings the D&D Starter Set to retail (although I've been hearing that some local game stores may already have it!) Since this, along with the free release of the Basic Rules on wizards.com, could be seen as the start of the new D&D set, I figured we should create a place to talk about it!

Want to talk "5th Edition/D&D Next?" Let's chat!
    I hope they still have some left (retail box) when I make it to the hobby store next weekend! I may call them this week to see if they have it already.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I went to the local game store and the D&D section was replaced with Pathfinder books. All the D&D stuff was moved to a small shelf in the back corner of the store.

What kind of crazy mixed up world do we live where D&D is not the primary role-playing game any more!
    One where Pathfinder basically nailed a lacquer over the corpse of a dead system, resurrected it, polished up its flaws to the point it attracted some 2nd folks back and a bunch of folks who hated 4th ed, then decided to just create moar content instead of new system versions. Which is what everyone wanted in the first place. No players were crying out for a new version when they announced 4th ed as I recall.

However, DnD Next looks intriguing. We'll have to see how much of this silly encounter/daily powers card nonsense they've done away with though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Pre-Ordered.

And Pathfinder is D&D, even though WotC is not publishing it.
    Risky move, but it put D&D into Legendary status.

Thumbs up MM will be 10% bigger!

It looks like the Monster Manual is going to be more massive than it was already going to be when it's released at the end of September

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.a...4ll%2F20140714

Hm, maybe to celebrate, we could get another volume of the MM in DDO when it comes out
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu

Bug report form link

Community Member

Default A nod to Mr. Salvatore

I was just reading through the free basic rules when I saw this:

"Each step of character creation includes an example that step, with a player named Bob bulding his dwarf character, Bruenor."

Well played Wizards of the Coast, well played.

Community Member

As I was reading through it I thought it was a clever nod, but as I read through it some more it's not that subtle. It's still a great way of showing how system works to new players and paying tribute to one of the great storytellers and one of his characters.

If anyone is interested in this, and isn't close to a gaming store, Barnes and Noble is currently selling it for $12.65:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dung...=9780786965595
    ....For Within the Circle of His Sword, There Is Each Man a King....

A link to the basic rule set, a free pdf. Enjoy.
    http://media.wizards.com/downloads/d...BasicRules.pdf

As for the new starter set. They nailed it.
    Everything you need to start, and EASY to comprehend also.

I hope most people would make copies of the single character sheet before using it.

Kudos to WotC for a great re-release. And getting back to basics.

Community Manager

Just want to say that I love the nice blue dice in the set.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Just want to say that I love the nice blue dice in the set.
    Me too. I bought mine yesterday. They did a GREAT job on this.

I'll be looking for a copy of this today. Haven't played PnP for 10+ years but this seems intriguing.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Me too. I bought mine yesterday. They did a GREAT job on this.
    I laid all my dice on the table, sorted them by color, and compared.
    These new dice look classy, and are easy to read.
    Well done, WotC!

Community Member

Been looking at the new PHB. Very impressed. I really like this system so far.

I ran into some sleazy rumor-mill stuff on tumblr about some of the people involved, investigated, and discovered that (1) it's all lies, (2) the people spreading them will also attack anyone who points out the obvious lies. So, yeah. I got annoyed enough to do a proper writeup on how you can tell it's all lies.

Basically, you know that thing where RPG players get super mad at other people for having the wrong kind of fun? It got really, really, out of hand.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

My pnp group and I have taken a look at the 5E basic rules, and while they are not a total trainwreck like 4E they still seem to be far inferior to 3.5.

But regardless of the quality of 5E I doubt it will be a success - my group has decided to stick with 3.5 rules (and I doubt we're alone), and everybody who wanted to upgrade from 3.5 has long gone to Pathfinder. Last time I was at the Spiel in Essen, 4 or 5 years ago, vendors were desperately (and unsuccessfully) trying to sell 4E books at huge discounts, while at the same time Pathfinder was sold out at every booth.

Community Member

I'm curious as to where you see them as falling short of 3.5. I was unsure at first because I thought they looked liked they'd taken away a ton of things, but the more I read them and think about them, and talk to people who've gotten actual play time in (still waiting for a couple of people to get books before one of my groups starts up), the more I think that's not really a bad thing.

I've been playing Pathfinder and 3.5e forever, and our PF game is now in epic levels, and since the late teens, it's been typical for a full round of attacks by one of our martials to take five minutes because of all the number-crunching and stacked bonuses. I am really, really, happy about the replacement of basically all the bonus stacking rules with the advantage/disadvantage mechanic.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    Been looking at the new PHB. Very impressed. I really like this system so far.

I ran into some sleazy rumor-mill stuff on tumblr about some of the people involved, investigated, and discovered that (1) it's all lies, (2) the people spreading them will also attack anyone who points out the obvious lies. So, yeah. I got annoyed enough to do a proper writeup on how you can tell it's all lies.

Basically, you know that thing where RPG players get super mad at other people for having the wrong kind of fun? It got really, really, out of hand.
    I think the PHB is over priced and the art work is really terrible the system is ok but I will stick with 3.5 and hackmaster

Beware the Sleepeater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast