Default So how is water savant, nowadays?

I have my 18/2 sorcerer back at epics once again (17th life, all caster lives), and decided on air savant. It's fun and all, and I really love lightning because of the zappiness and spammage, but I miss the water savant I used to play as, long ago; frost lance was fun, polar ray was ridiculous damage, that satisfying crunch and crash of mobs bursting apart into tiny ice crystals...

Then the two new raids came out with their hoards of skeletons. Apart from those 2 raids, which can be circumvented with a secondary element (like air or fire), there really isn't anything wrong with a water savant, is there? It's half as DC dependent as air or fire, polar ray is nice, meshes well with evocation for fire/air, several of the ice spells are fortitude saves instead of reflex, polar ray is awesome, and has excellent single target damage with cc/aoe capabilities. Oh, and it has polar ray.

And yet all I ever see are air savants and 16/2/2 fire savants...and trying to find magnetism weapons is in the needle-in-a-haystack variety.

And how is earth savant nowadays, anyway? I haven't seen any of them in a while.
    Last edited by HastyPudding; 06-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    I have my 18/2 sorcerer back at epics once again (17th life, all caster lives), and decided on air savant. It's fun and all, and I really love lightning because of the zappiness and spammage, but I miss the water savant I used to play as, long ago; frost lance was fun, polar ray was ridiculous damage, that satisfying crunch and crash of mobs bursting apart into tiny ice crystals...

Then the two new raids came out with their hoards of skeletons. Apart from those 2 raids, which can be circumvented with a secondary element (like air or fire), there really isn't anything wrong with a water savant, is there? It's half as DC dependent as air or fire, polar ray is nice, meshes well with evocation for fire/air, several of the ice spells are fortitude saves instead of reflex, polar ray is awesome, and has excellent single target damage with cc/aoe capabilities. Oh, and it has polar ray.

And yet all I ever see are air savants and 16/2/2 fire savants...and trying to find magnetism weapons is in the needle-in-a-haystack variety.

And how is earth savant nowadays, anyway? I haven't seen any of them in a while.
    I have never liked the air savant much, I burn through too many SP with them. No high level spells. Too many saves. I was interested for a bit running a half-elf air savant with dragon marks, but it was not as effective as I would have liked.

I have avoided fire savant from the start. Probably holding on to that prejudice from Amrath.

I was a big fan of water savant for a while, and still am at times. If I am running a lot of something that presents issues for an earth savant (don't drink the koolaid - err water - end fight), this is what I repsec to. I still believe polar ray is one of the most effective uses of spell points in the game.

Earth is where it is at for me. It can be tight on spells (I am looking at you level 4 spells!). Upside - not many things are acid resistant, downside - those that are usually have straight up immunity. That can be a hassle if you are not aware ahead of time.
    Thelanis, by way of Xoriat. Forged in the Blood of Butterflies.

Proud participant of the Xoriat Hate Thread.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The main drawback to Water Savant is it locks out Fire (duh); and Fire Savants with 2-4 FvS lvls for AoV bonuses are the current FotM (at least on the forums). I also get the impression that a Fire+Force-specced caster generates the most Shiradi procs if you're going that route.

That said, if you're not minmaxing an EE Shiradi sorc, Water Savant should still be a solid choice, particularly in FTP.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Theres a lot of undead in end game now and there are immune to ice. When I got my sorc out after last updates I respected to electric.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger