Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default TWF locks out Single weapon fighting and visa versa

So, I read and was aware that single weapon fighting and two hand weapon fighting were mutually exclusive, but no where did i see that claimed that single weapon fighting and two weapon fighting were also mutually exclusive.

This was quite a shock to discover mid LR on a toon that I wanted to have both stiles available to. Right now that toon is parked at lvl 3 in the reincarnation grove while i try to figure out how to scavenge it.

So let this be an announcement to those that don't know this: TWF and SWF are mutually exclusive.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Thanks for the info.

Pokes a hole in Druid animal form plans, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Yep back to 2wf and natural fighting I go.

Ultimate Lord of Shadows Dreppo's Avatar

Are they mutually exclusive in that you can't take both SWF and TWF feats on a given character, or are they mutually exclusive in that you can't benefit from both SWF and TWF feats at the same time?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Yeah, this was mentioned in the Lama forums after the last or next-to-last patch before go-live, I think. Apparently there was a *cough* work-around using rgr's free TWF feats; but I didn't check to see if it also works on live.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreppo View Post
    Are they mutually exclusive in that you can't take both SWF and TWF feats on a given character, or are they mutually exclusive in that you can't benefit from both SWF and TWF feats at the same time?
    you can not have the on the same toon, picking up one locks the other out of being able to take it.

Thanks for the info.

It specifically says you can't Swashbuckle in animal form.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    SWF =/= Swashbuckling
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Community Member

Swf and swashbuckling not same thing, swf is feat line any class can use.

All swashbucklers are SWFighters. But not all SWFighters are Swashbucklers
    Nightmanis De'Corenai 20 Rogue Mechanic or Assassin. Depending on how I feel during the etr.
    Sereine De'Corenai Paladin. Because ETR.

Guild of Won, Officer
    Fors Fortis, Officer

Hate to twist your mind, but God ain't on your side

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    All swashbucklers are SWFighters.
    Actually, that's not entirely true, either; you could make a thrower-based Swashbuckler, in which case the SWF feats do nothing for you. Not saying that's a good idea, particularly when the SWF feats are so deliciously OP (for now), but it is an option.

For that matter, my TWF pure bard just spent 11 APs on SB, which was enough to add a few pts of Dodge, Blow by Blow, Deflect Arrows, Uncanny Dodge, and Fast Movement (if it's WAI, I'm now as fast as a pure monk). It appears Coup de Grace doesn't require Swashbuckling to be active, but I'd need to spend a lot of filler AP to get it.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Actually, that's not entirely true, either; you could make a thrower-based Swashbuckler, in which case the SWF feats do nothing for you. Not saying that's a good idea, particularly when the SWF feats are so deliciously OP (for now), but it is an option.

For that matter, my TWF pure bard just spent 11 APs on SB, which was enough to add a few pts of Dodge, Blow by Blow, Deflect Arrows, Uncanny Dodge, and Fast Movement (if it's WAI, I'm now as fast as a pure monk). It appears Coup de Grace doesn't require Swashbuckling to be active, but I'd need to spend a lot of filler AP to get it.
    They give you throwing speed.

Bdw, not only is 2weapon fight locked out but also 2handed fight, basically no 2weapon druids and no dwarven axe aoe 1 weapon users.
    Good way to fix it a bit

Thanks for the info.

Why did you think SWF would work for animal form? Afaik, animal form has always equated Unarmed which is boosted by TWF.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheartox View Post
    They give you throwing speed.

Bdw, not only is 2weapon fight locked out but also 2handed fight, basically no 2weapon druids and no dwarven axe aoe 1 weapon users.
    Good way to fix it a bit
    Dwarven axes, b swords anf the three stars get glancing blows of 20%. the feats just increase the amount.
    They still get the glancing damage SWFing.

As for 2weapons druids....(REMOVED)
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

1 a = Print "It is not a shock to me that they did not think about this!" a=b
    5 Run If b = a then goto 10
    10 Tunnel vision since beta.
    20 Goto 10
    30 End.
    Last edited by GreataxeUser; 06-11-2014 at 10:39 PM.

2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar

I think it's fair, and prevents blatant exploitation of game mechanics. Other than that, if you have enough feats to spend on two different fighting styles, you're probably not spending your feats wisely. Even a fighter has more than enough options to never dabble in another fighting style.
    Ferial *Halek *Shankwelle on Argonnessen
    Officer of The Order of the Emerald Claw

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Why did you think SWF would work for animal form? Afaik, animal form has always equated Unarmed which is boosted by TWF.
    Because it was possible to get the double stat mod, off hand procs and natural fighting for a while.

take 9 druid levels and the swf line then take 11 ranger levels and get twf autogranted.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post

ya the speed of that thing with the dmg output is really, really up there. (no shield) And its not even an ed thing lol. Id say its got a bit though before anything is changed. They're to busy with the armor stuff right now.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Default bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    take 9 druid levels and the swf line then take 11 ranger levels and get twf autogranted.
    Pretty obvious, lol. Switch outta form and manyshot, does suck no div might or monk lvls.

If they copout and make it so rangers cant swf as a way to stop this build ill lmao.

I suppose going 6 ranger and adding a couple lvl monk or cler/fvs for div might is an option too, might just be more overall dps either way.

I might try 13druid/6ranger/1fvs
    Last edited by 01000010; 06-12-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast