Default Mac Book Pro resolution problems

I got a my first Mac Book Pro with retina display recently and installed ddo.
    Everything seemed to be going fine until i looked at the resolution:
    It had the 1280X800 resolution and the max was 2560x1600.
    Whenever i try to chose a higher resolution nothing happens the list just goes *poof*
    I have tried selecting and deslecting "use high resolution game data" in the launcher but that doesn't seem to do anything.
    Any help would be welcome although i would prefer not to reinstall.

Community Member

Interesting, I have a Macbook Pro without retina display, and I can't change it above 1280x800 either. Never really noticed before since that's the resolution I like to use anyways (old eyes)

Maybe it's one of those 'features' that the Mac client has? like gamma not working and such?

It's a real shame as I'm used to playing on a large screen with lots of room to spread out on and the higher resolution would allow me to do just that.
    BTW: I'm all over the crash on logout feature!
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We are trying to kill you.

I don't use a Mac but have run across descriptions of this problem on the Steam forums. The following is a fix for some people...

There seems to be a problem between the game and the Intel graphics card of the MBP. Follow the following steps:-

1. Click on the your battery icon/go to system preferences and go to "Energy Saver Preferences".

2. Uncheck "Automatic graphics switching"

3. Run game

Note: you can double check which graphics card is being used by going to about this mac, then more info...
    Hope this helps.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    *snip*
    Hope this helps.
    Turns out i don't have that option but thanks anyways.
    Currently I'm using Display Menu from the mac app store to change my resolution to something higher; but therein lays another problem. The UI is just too small. *sigh* maybe one day the client will get a redo... One day.

Community Member

An awful lot of the graphic settings on the Mac client are simply not hooked up. Gamma, brightness, anti-aliasing, resolution control etc. I hate to say it, but these things will likely never be fixed. It has been well over a year since these things were first asked about, and nothing has changed. The client still plays pretty well on the Mac though and I personally can live with the limitations.

There are a couple of important things they should fix though which are very painful to live with. Floating damage numbers are limited to the most significant digit unless you switch to "n+n+n" damage format. And after a while of playing, opaque walls start appearing around you in closed dungeons. You can travel through them but you can't target or damage mobs through them. Only a restart of the client will fix it. This is the number one problem with the Mac client and desperately in need of a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    This is the number one problem with the Mac client and desperately in need of a fix.
    Whilst i agree that is a very annoying problem it does have a solution. For me the number one problem is the inability of the client to accept single clicks meaning i have to double click everything including npc's and buttons. This double click bug renders the game unplayable as i can no longer click and drag. So no moving items or UI anymore for me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by YUTANG75 View Post
    Whilst i agree that is a very annoying problem it does have a solution. For me the number one problem is the inability of the client to accept single clicks meaning i have to double click everything including npc's and buttons. This double click bug renders the game unplayable as i can no longer click and drag. So no moving items or UI anymore for me.
    You might want to try some other mouse driver (if you are using one that beyond the built-in one) or perhaps try Steermouse (yeah, it's old, but it works ) or something similar. I originally got Steermouse to help with right-clicks in WoW, since Logitech Control Center just wasn't that good (kept losing it's mind in the middle of gaming). I still use it because without it, DDO just doesn't recognize middle-click or button 4 and 5. (I have periodically gone without using a driver to see how far the built-in OSX drivers have come)

Community Member

I have used multiple mice and Macs and have never seen anything like that. Try swapping the mouse out, or try the trackpad if you are on a portable and see if that changes anything.

Just went back on to double check the click bug. I can confirm that I have to double click on everything but NPC's and I still can't click and drag. It's weird though as I used to be able to click everything normally except NPC dialogue. Strange...

Community Member

Just went back on to double check the click bug. I can confirm that I have to double click on everything but NPC's and I still can't click and drag. It's weird though as I used to be able to click everything normally except NPC dialogue. Strange...
    You might need to dig around in System Preferences / Mouse. Make sure everything seems reasonable in there. Within the game itself, try setting the key mapping in the options panel back to "Default". That might help too. (There are some mouse settings affected by the key map file).

thanks for the suggestion of defaulting the key map that solved the problem. the problem occurs if you set a new key bind as left mouse click by accident, this causes you to not be able to click anything until you restart. After restarting everything needs double clicking.

Community Member

Default not supported?

Whenever i try to chose a higher resolution nothing happens the list just goes *poof*
    I have tried selecting and deslecting "use high resolution game data" in the launcher but that doesn't seem to do anything.
    They do not support anything above 1280x800 at this time... thats what DDO told me a while back on the issue. although if you set your screen setting to 2560x1600 on your macbook itself. (preferences, display, "more space". you can run the game at higher levels but it may not work as intended. As i have been working on getting the ddo store fixed since 10.10 bata i found out you can run it at higher resolutions even thought its not "supported". GOOD luck all!

Community Member

Default Thank you!

I know it's been more than a year since the last post, but THANK YOU. I was having serious trouble at 1280x1024, with my shortcut bars all scrunched up. Setting the resolution to scaled for more space, as described above, allowed me to go to 1680x1050, a little better than my Dell laptop.

Now if I could only adjust the brightness and gamma...

Judebert

Exclamation Possible Solution

There is quite an easy solution for this.
    The Problem when using a Mac is that MAC OS has no pixel based resolution but trys to scale everything based on the size of the identified display.
    If you go to System Preferences -> Display there are two options :
    1. Default for Display
    2. Scaled
    If you select scaled and set your display to a smaler scaling (i think it's called more text) it will automatically switch to a higher resolution to display the smaller fonts etc.

Afterwards, when you start ddo, the game "detects" the higher resolution graphics mode and runs on it.
    Works for me on a MacBook Pro 15'.