2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Default Lowbie Undead Beater

Which is the better choice for a lowbie undead beater: bludgeoning or slashing?

I think skeletons are more ubiquitous at low level, but I have a BtA silver greataxe and a BtA silver greatsword. I have no BtA silver maul. Should I hold out for the maul? Should I just make a staff?
    Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    Which is the better choice for a lowbie undead beater: bludgeoning or slashing?

I think skeletons are more ubiquitous at low level, but I have a BtA silver greataxe and a BtA silver greatsword. I have no BtA silver maul. Should I hold out for the maul? Should I just make a staff?
    Forget silver on a maul. Go holy of undead bane on it. Will work against skellies. Silver is for vamps. Vamps slash very nicely.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader emeritus, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

I don't think you need to worry about a specific lowbie undead weapon, as you blow through the levels so quickly and low-level enemies die quick, regardless. I'd just look for the best <elemental> of ghostbane weapon you can find on the AH as you level up as a general go-to. And really, you don't even need the ghostbane part, except for the ghost-touch effect in quests with incorporeal types. Zombie and skeleton weapon-type DR can be a bit annoying on elite level, but beyond macthing the weapon you don't need any particlar types of extra damage to kill them quick.

Exceptions are for a few specific bosses where breaking DR can matter, and the ghostly skeletons in the Delera series :

- the Vampire at the end of church and the cult needs silver
    - the Vampire at the end of the Shadow Crypt needs metalline (silver and adamantine DR), which is hard to find at level if you want the bravery bonus. He's hard to kill with straight melee anyway, spells are much better
    - Liches need bludgeon (and sometimes good)
    - Ghostly skeletons need good damage, but not bludgeon for some reason. And no worries there since you get the Club of the Holy Flame after finishing the first quest in the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    I don't think you need to worry about a specific lowbie undead weapon, as you blow through the levels so quickly and low-level enemies die quick, regardless. I'd just look for the best <elemental> of ghostbane weapon you can find on the AH as you level up as a general go-to. And really, you don't even need the ghostbane part, except for the ghost-touch effect in quests with incorporeal types. Zombie and skeleton weapon-type DR can be a bit annoying on elite level, but beyond macthing the weapon you don't need any particlar types of extra damage to kill them quick.

Exceptions are for a few specific bosses where breaking DR can matter, and the ghostly skeletons in the Delera series :

- the Vampire at the end of church and the cult needs silver
    - the Vampire at the end of the Shadow Crypt needs metalline (silver and adamantine DR), which is hard to find at level if you want the bravery bonus. He's hard to kill with straight melee anyway, spells are much better
    - Liches need bludgeon (and sometimes good)
    - Ghostly skeletons need good damage, but not bludgeon for some reason. And no worries there since you get the Club of the Holy Flame after finishing the first quest in the chain.
    This was one of my primary motivations for making it silver. Good to know that a-hole has DR adamantine, as well. Sigh...

I tried just grabbing a ghostbane weapon last life; but they don't drop in every reward list like they used to, and they've become scarce.
    Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxhunter View Post
    Forget silver on a maul. Go holy of undead bane on it. Will work against skellies. Silver is for vamps. Vamps slash very nicely.
    I had planned on it, lol. A Holy Silver of Undead Bane weapon. I also learned the hard way that having at least a +1 enhancement is necessary if you want to kill ghost types with it, also. Luckily I was on my jugg that life and had enchant weapon...

I'm pretty sure I want to go bludgeoning. Skellies are the most common undead (I think...), liches need bludgeoning as well, and there's always dual Sunblades for zombies if I really need slashing. Time to craft a staff, I guess.
    Astreya the Unturning

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    This was one of my primary motivations for making it silver. Good to know that a-hole has DR adamantine, as well. Sigh...

I tried just grabbing a ghostbane weapon last life; but they don't drop in every reward list like they used to, and they've become scarce.
    Well, even on elite his Adamantine dr is less than 10 so you could just ignore it. As someone said before is easier to kill him just with spells.

If you can Cannith Craft then make +1 Ghost Touch of Undead Bane on any maul, staff etc (any weapon which does Bludgeon damage), your regular slashing weapon will be fine for zombies.

Stoner81.