Default Wrath of Flames any good?

I'm contemplating tier2ing my Fire Thunderforged handwraps for better DPS (tier 1 is simply Touch of Flames for max damage). I don't want to use any shadow scales (saving up for armor), which rather drastically limits choices.

The slow looks OK, but I'm expecting my shadow wraps to eventually end up upgraded to a more "anti-trash" pair, and was hoping for my fire ones to be best for boss DPS (assuming no fire immunity anyway).

Is Wrath of flames any good? On the surface, it looks solid. 5% chance of a ~300 explosion adds 15 damage per hit, even against a single target. But... that 50 Reflex saves is a pretty huge caveat. If all EE bosses save every time, I'm looking at only 7.5 damage per hit. If they have evasion, zero.

Do I bother with spending the fire scales for it, or am I better off just adding an extra slot and sticking in a Sov Ruby or something? That woudl be only 5.5 damage per hit, but a reliable 5.5.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raoull View Post
    I'm contemplating tier2ing my Fire Thunderforged handwraps for better DPS (tier 1 is simply Touch of Flames for max damage). I don't want to use any shadow scales (saving up for armor), which rather drastically limits choices.

The slow looks OK, but I'm expecting my shadow wraps to eventually end up upgraded to a more "anti-trash" pair, and was hoping for my fire ones to be best for boss DPS (assuming no fire immunity anyway).

Is Wrath of flames any good? On the surface, it looks solid. 5% chance of a ~300 explosion adds 15 damage per hit, even against a single target. But... that 50 Reflex saves is a pretty huge caveat. If all EE bosses save every time, I'm looking at only 7.5 damage per hit. If they have evasion, zero.

Do I bother with spending the fire scales for it, or am I better off just adding an extra slot and sticking in a Sov Ruby or something? That woudl be only 5.5 damage per hit, but a reliable 5.5.
    Up front I will state sorry can't help! =) I have this SAME question! Running those raids (well the red dragons on the summit is quite easy on EH .. but the Shadow one if hard - for me!). So not keen to throw in my hard earned scales for a Tier 2 that is then gimp and not useful. So ... bumping this up for you as I have the same question!

For myself as a caster I get the trash via spells -- but -- I need something for red names. I was also looking at the Dragon's Edge: Passive: Armor-Piercing 35%. On Crit: 33 to 105 Bleeding Damage... and your one -> Wrath of Flames: On Hit: 5% Chance AOE 228 to 380 fire damage (DC 50 Reflex Save for half).

Yeah, Dragons Edge is probably better nearly always better.... I was just looking to avoid it for two reasons. One... my monk uses handwraps, which have a pathetic crit profile. But the other is I have plenty of fire scales, so I was hoping for something useful that just used those. (I have shadow scales too, but I'm leaning toward blowing most of them on a suit of armor.)

The scales just seem too assymetric. Fire ones are easy to get, so shadow stuff should be better, I'm more or less OK with. But the combination of shadow only armor AND the fact that fire scales are near useless for weapons (OK for some caster sticks though), seems a bit much.

I even bothered to check Lam today.... and I don't see any easy way to get the ingots/scales I'd need to test.... I'm willing to do that, but not willing to raid....

My guess, is worthless. The wiki says 50, which means it only does half damage to everything in end game, and 0 damage to anything with evasion (which seems to be including an awful lot of bosses nowadays).

I'm half tempted to just bite the bullet and add it to wraps to see what it does. But while losing the 100 fire scales would be a cost I'm almost willing to spend... adding 320 ingots on top of that is way too much for an experiment where I expect to be disappointed with the answer.....

Anyone know of an easy way to get scales/ingots on Lam? I hate playing on Lam (not enough space on my SSD for the client, so I lag so bad it is barely playable), but if I can easily pick up the crafting materials, I'm game to go wandering Thunderholme to craft them and test them out....
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Community Member

I made a trash beating pair of wraps just the other day and was very very skeptical about adding it to my wraps. I took them on a test drive in ee wgu after I put mortal fear on them and I must say wrath of flames actually turned out pretty good for my monk. Not sure it would work as well on things such as fighter but **** is it nice. When you are fighting groupings of 10 + mobs it really helps cut them down, even while blitzing, it just happens so often. I also don't really notice the evade too much even on the archers, I have no idea why considering they should have reflex saves in around the high 60's. I have a pair of wraps with dragons edge as well and I must say I love busting out the wrath of flames in a lot of different areas. If you are just going to make 1 pair of handwraps I would probably go with dragons edge, but I made a generic trash beater with it on as well as another pair with edge.

As for lammania I would think the auction house and shard exchange would be stocked with ingots and scales, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 05-11-2014 at 10:54 PM.