Default Sometimes they learn <rant>

I'm just gonna jump right in with this, then ask my question at the end for those with the fortitude to listen to my whining for a few paragraphs:

So, yesterday, I was in a group farming a quest. We get an arti after one of the other people drop, he comes in at the tail end of the quest, gets free xp. The LFM said "Zerg, speed runs, know it, IP". He asks for a share. We inform him it's a quest you have to flag for, so no way to share. We run the quest, and he says wait while he turns it in. ?!! Then, a few seconds later, he asks why he can't turn it in. I explain, as patiently as I can, that he's ONLY going to get XP out of the quest, that we are running it a few times, and that if he wants the full quest he needs to flag for it. We go back in, decide to split up, he is put in my group. He runs off with another group, then runs off from THEM, off the beaten path, picks up an important quest item, and dies. We all have just drank potions (I shelled out real dollars for a potion on the DDO store, so I was doubly annoyed), anticipating quick runs (since otherwise why put up the LFM?), and this guy more than doubles the run time as we have to go find him. Awesome.

We recall, half the group takes off in annoyance, leaving me, him and a cleric, we go back in and he asks why we aren't doing other quests. Then he says he's new and doesn't know what he's doing. I'd had it. Paraphrasing:

"Look, it's obvious you have no idea what you're doing. While most of the time this is OK, when you join an elite <QUEST>, a few things are assumed: 1, that you know what you are doing, 2, that if you DON'T know what you're doing, that you are willing to listen, 3, that even if you cannot handle 1 or 2 that you will not hinder us while we grind out XP. You have failed in all 3. In the future, there is nothing wrong with learning how to do a quest on normal or hard before you go to elite. This quest is boring. We are all (with the exception of you) either TRs or multi character owners and just want to get through this as quickly as possible. When you come in, get the <ITEMS> we need, get lost because you refuse to follow directions, and then die, people no longer want to run with you. In the future, please at least let us KNOW you are new, so we can adjust or let you know if this quest isn't for you"

Yes, it was a little rude, and I didn't necessarily mean to be, but something wondrous happened: he learned something!
    Through tells after we disbanded, he noted he had joined quite a few Elite/ know it PUGs, gone in, gotten screamed at and squelched, kicked from groups, and had no idea why. Then he said the reason he joined our group was because he HAD tried normal (doubtful, since you have to flag for it), and had died a bunch of times and couldn't figure it out (so, doing it on elite makes it easier because....?), and was going to stop playing the game (he had an arti, meaning he had plonked down some cash to play) because everyone was so mean... I guess point is (no I'm not looking for kudos), some of these guys are a little slower to pick up on things than we used to be, and I'm not sure about the reason why but it's a reality.

Another incident involved someone joining a WW zerg group I had joined (hey, what can I say, soloing gets dull) and complaining that we weren't going for all the optionals and collectables and what have you. 5 of us have done Waterworks numerous times. I have done it more than 200 times, since before all the bravery bonuses and what have you it was a good way to get up in levels (or get a levelling sigil). For the most part, I just want to get through a quest as quickly, efficiently, and cost effectively as possible. I join groups where my way of thinking is the majority, and it's always a little embarrassing when we have someone join who is obviously NOT of that mindset and demands we all change to their style of play in order to appease them. This is selfish and rude. If I join a group that says "flower sniffing, team-work, need RP players" etc, I join and do that (example: If I joined a Thunderholme group or a high road or anything from the last 3 updates, I would only join slow moving groups because I want to read the dialogue and explore); I don't try to run off, I don't whine when someone goes down a non-optimal path.

The same should be true of zerg groups. I don't always join zerg groups, but when I do, I demand they move with haste at all times. To join a group that's farmed a quest for the umpteenth time and demand they let me check every nook and cranny means I'M the tool.

The newb actually thanked me for the help without asking for any plat/ items/ guest passes, and went on about his way. I felt good, having maybe unleashed a decent player on the server...

I'm not looking for kudos, or for a pat on the back. I don't need one. All I'm asking is that rather than squelch immediately and move on, take just a second to see if you can point someone in the right direction. No, you can't help everyone, and you shouldn't have to. But if you squelch every noob that you run into, sooner or later you will have only 1 or 2 people to run with, and what's the fun in that?

As an aside, I had decided to go, as this is my third fighter life, 12 fighter/ 6 ranger/ 2 monk. I have been told that is a stupid build, and I need 6 levels of monk in order to be any good. Why? I thought all the fighter benefits would make it pretty good, with all the bonuses to ranged damage (I'm going AA)... what am I missing?

* actual XP received may or may not be millions contact your service provider for details
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

We're all new once, a little bit of time invested in someone can yield exponential rewards.

Two monk is fine, you can still pick up master of forms (prereq monk one and adept of forms), and can twist in dance of flowers for the extra damage and get evasion. You miss out on some of the fun stuff that 6 monk gets you like shadow fade incorporeality and ninja poison, but with some good items you can make up for that defence elsewhere.

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    As an aside, I had decided to go, as this is my third fighter life, 12 fighter/ 6 ranger/ 2 monk. I have been told that is a stupid build, and I need 6 levels of monk in order to be any good. Why? I thought all the fighter benefits would make it pretty good, with all the bonuses to ranged damage (I'm going AA)... what am I missing?
    Well . . . given the contents of the rest of your post, I realize I may be missing a joke here. But in case you're serious, or if someone else comes along and reads this and is wondering the same thing:

6 monk is required to take Ten Thousand Stars, which is the feat that makes a monkcher a monkcher.

It's also required for shadow fade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

i see alot of noobs l8ly in Elite parties...hilarious how smone will join elite and ask"wheres the Quest?"

Default Not a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    Well . . . given the contents of the rest of your post, I realize I may be missing a joke here. But in case you're serious, or if someone else comes along and reads this and is wondering the same thing:

6 monk is required to take Ten Thousand Stars, which is the feat that makes a monkcher a monkcher.

It's also required for shadow fade.
    And I found that out on the guild website right after. I thought it was an enhancement, or thought it was before the update... Meh. Insult me for not knowing that if you like, but the difference is I have yet to hamper anyone's XP by not knowing that. I've spent the past 2 years doing everything pure, so it never crossed my radar. I am now almost a full on monkcherito.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

And I found that out on the guild website right after. I thought it was an enhancement, or thought it was before the update... Meh. Insult me for not knowing that if you like, but the difference is I have yet to hamper anyone's XP by not knowing that. I've spent the past 2 years doing everything pure, so it never crossed my radar. I am now almost a full on monkcherito.
    I'm sorry, I really didn't mean it to be insulting, but re-reading what I wrote I realize it could be taken that way. I had just meant that based on your post, it sounds like you have a lot more experience with the game than I do. So I thought maybe you were making a sarcastic joke or a reference of some kind that was going over my head, but I wanted to answer the question just in case you weren't.

No one knows everything about the game, and I would never want to insult anyone for not knowing some mechanic anyway.

Happy playing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Community Member

If you want to be really OP, roll a PDK melee sorcerer
    I have a reliable source, do it now
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda

This is a little off the OP but is somewhat relevant. I've TR'd a couple toons recently and going through Korthos and the Harbor I've noticed a lot of new players. I've actually seen more than one instance available in the harbor which I haven't seen for a very long time. This tells me that DDO is getting an influx of newer players and that they will have a learning curve. It is my hope that vets understand this and don't get testy with them. A little help can go a very long ways while 1 negative experience can stop a new person playing. I understand the OP's frustration as his lfm stated what he was expecting & wanting and he had spent real money to maximize his xp. And it worried me at first that the OP was a bit rude (but again understanding why) but then taking the time to explain that to the new player. And sometimes that is all you need to do, take a few seconds to explain why something is or is not done. I hope all of us vets keep that in mind when a new player joins our groups. If we want this game that we love to stick around then we need new blood. And that new blood is going to need vets to show them the ropes, if we don't they will quit and who knows if that person would have turned out to be a good player or not.

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Default Two Thumbs Up!

I'm not looking for kudos, or for a pat on the back. I don't need one. All I'm asking is that rather than squelch immediately and move on, take just a second to see if you can point someone in the right direction. No, you can't help everyone, and you shouldn't have to. But if you squelch every noob that you run into, sooner or later you will have only 1 or 2 people to run with, and what's the fun in that?...

* actual XP received may or may not be millions contact your service provider for details

2 Thumbs up!

Well said....

now I need my thumbs back, the cats want me to scoop boxes and dole kibble.
    Thumbed_Servant (to my cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Muhther....going through the Passed Lives grind at my own pace...currently lvl 28

I read this thread hoping for some drama. Quite disappointing.

Ghallanda seems to get loads of new players, so expect stuff like this, if you pug.
    No reason to get mad over something like this and cheers for handing out some advise.

12/6/2 Fgt/Rgr/Mnk is an excellent split, formerly known as 'Monster'. Go for TWF and manyshot with IPS.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Spot on Llew! You did the right thing, as it turns out "the newb" just needed some proper grooming! Every one of us started "fresh off the boat." Good move bro!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Lightbulb

NOTHING wrong with new players, especially in an MMO game that's 8 years old.

I hope new players look at Ghallanda, as it is a growing server. There's lots of guilds here that will HAPPILY take in new players, just ask Llew, Battle (Old Timers Guild) or myself (Tyrs Paladium)!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!