Page 41 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    OK!

My apologies: I still don't have an extremely substantial post to give right at this moment, because my brain is melting, but I've caught up on every post in this thread so far!
    Thank you.
    Your post hit the nail on the head.

Awesome communication, it's VERY much appreciated. +1
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    It matters on the long run. Because if you remove the symptom (everyone splash monk2 and pally 2), but do not fix the cause for that (EE have insane requirements on saves, and deal too much damage), the players will soon find the next new thing to bypass the main problem, and we will be in the same situation again in a few weeks.

If the problem were ONLY in the classes themselves (like on the early days of the enhancement pass we had people getting Ranger 2 for 80 positive spellpower, or getting a druid level for beguile), sure, fix the class and the problem is solved. That is not the issue with Evasion or Divine Grace.
    Agreed with that, i still don't really believe the classes can be balanced before bringing EE to some sane levels.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    Do you have metrics?

I see even you are talking about Epic Elite. The general consensus is that the thread itself became oriented around
    EE play because that seems to be the only content where certain build choices are almost required. I wonder how
    many of the player base regularly play at this level - in other words are we excessively worrying about a problem
    which might only exist on EE?

Note, I'm not saying that the opinions of those who do regularly play EE should be dismissed just that care needs
    to be taken before swingeing changes are made. You already seem aware of this though.
    Well thing is you can get through EH with about any class. Some are not as effective as others but it's doable(and soloable) by
    any class/destiny combo as long as the player didn't completely gimp it(In gear and spec) and knows what he's doing.
    I'd say EN you can gimp as much as you want an you'll get through.

It's EE where things get really wonky.

Community Member

Give pure classes a reason to stay pure (capstones maybe?)

Give monk stances back to monk levels, not character levels.

The rest will fall in line.

Fivefinga.

The single laser-focused item for a preview of the summary of the thread: Melee in Epic Elite probably needs some help. There's many possible ways to come at this problem, while trying to address other issues as well. Identifying problems now, solutions later!
    In general no . . . but there are a few insanely stupid encounters that need to be addressed.

Start looking at all the dragon fights in the game. There is so much nonsense in every one of those fights (except Velah) that melee is just a poor choice. The end-boss for EE 'Thrill of the Hunt' is another insanely stupid encounter. Same with Miior from EE Haunted Halls.

I think melees in the current game. are okay they other 95% of the time though I'd like to see some changes in game mechanics. The problem is not as pervasive as the bad players are making it out to be, but some encounters in this game are insanely stupid and I don't believe for one second they were ever play tested on EE.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoneyMackDaddy View Post
    Give pure classes a reason to stay pure (capstones maybe?)

Give monk stances back to monk levels, not character levels.

The rest will fall in line.

Fivefinga.
    That's a start, need moar njerfs.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Game balance doesn't matter at lower difficulties.
    That's an opinion. If game balance matters at all it matters subjectively to the person
    who is playing the game. Playing devils advocate, by extension you could argue in a PVE
    game that it is entirely irrelevant.

I'm just trying to understand what the objective is here. If the objective is to balance
    classes in EE then I wonder if it's worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    We're down the rabbit hole when I'm being accused of a "play your role" advocate. I'm one of the "self-sufficient or GTFO" people.

My point was that a DC caster isn't going to be able to use his strength (DC casting) against red names, so it's fine if that same DC caster is way more powerful than dps characters against trash mobs.
    Gotcha; completely agree.

That's an opinion.
    No it's not. I'm sorry but we can take it to an extreme . . . run Waterworks on a 28 . . . Does ANYTHING matter? Literally a chimp and a 3 year old could beat it on any toon.

The challenge level needs to reach a threshold of difficulty in order to be a valid measurement of anything. EH doesn't get tough enough to test any toons unless you're really a terrible player.
    Last edited by Teh_Troll; 03-27-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    This is my first post in this thread, I could write all day, but here are what I feel are the most important things to mention -

Melee vrs. Ranged vrs. Spellcasting -

Overpowered Monk and Paladin Splashes -

Overpowered abilities -

Race imbalance -
    +1. Yes, this. Thanks for succinctly hitting the key issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    No it's not. I'm sorry but we can take it to an extreme . . . run Waterworks on a 28 . . . Does ANYTHING matter? Literally a chimp and a 3 year old could beat it on any toon.

The challenge level needs to reach a threshold of difficulty in order to be a valid measurement of anything. EH doesn't get tough enough to test any toons unless you're really a terrible player.

Surely this assumes equal competence of players - or least a range?. It's still subjective and I
    doubt anyone who has played this game for the length of time most of us have is capable of
    objectivity here.

Surely this assumes equal competence of players - or least a range?. It's still subjective and I
    doubt anyone who has played this game for the length of time most of us have is capable of
    objectivity here.
    You balance towards high skill. Bad players simply don't know the game well enough for their opinions to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    Yeah, I'm a bit disconcerted by all the calls to nerf shiradi. Compared to most of the other things being discussed, shiradi casters are far from overpowered and shiradi ranged character are underpowered. Really, shiradi is about right for casters and could stand to be buffed for ranged DPS.

I feel like people still are thinking about shiradi from when it was first released. It's in a pretty good place right now (except for the radiant forcefield thing, of course). Shiradi casters can contribute in all content, and extremely well-played, well-built, well-geared ones can even do the hardest content solo. That's fine. Unlike a max DC instant kill build (in the old days), shiradi isn't harming the experience for the other players in a group. The damage output is steady, but not excessive, and doesn't prevent others from contributing.
    This is very true.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 42/42, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

You balance towards high skill. Bad players simply don't know the game well enough for their opinions to matter.
    Turbine's bottom line and declining playerbase would disagree. EEs need to be friendly beyond the "uber elite" and a handful of build concepts, the difference between EH and EE alone breaks a large majority of builds to the point EE is a whole different ball game. (Yes, I regularly run EE, check Degenerate Matter's raid times if you want recent forum proof.) The epic difficulties need to consistently bump up from EN to EE in a believable curve, currently if EE is 10/10 difficulty EN and EH are around a 2 and a 4 respectively. There are bad players I agree, but balancing for a current minority, even one I believe I'm part of, is exactly what Turbine shouldn't be doing.
    Degenerate Matter
    Argonnessen

Grizzt
    Ivandria
    Sazcir
    Halania
    Tazaras
    Karjya
    Shintao Monk Henshin Mystic Mechanic Artificer Tempest

Archmage
    (Retired)
    Air Savant
    (Retired)

Community Member

Because I'm reading every single post.
    5 Stars for your effort, that is a lot of posts! There are a ton of good ideas and thoughts in this thread, even if I don't agree with them, they beat this to death from a zillion different directions. I hope that we get the opportunity to crowd source brainstorming in the future and that the improvements to the game help DDO gain players, not lose them. This is an example of Devs listening!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzt14 View Post
    Turbine's bottom line and declining playerbase would disagree. EEs need to be friendly beyond the "uber elite" and a handful of build concepts, the difference between EH and EE alone breaks a large majority of builds to the point EE is a whole different ball game. (Yes, I regularly run EE, check Degenerate Matter's raid times if you want recent forum proof.) The epic difficulties need to consistently bump up from EN to EE in a believable curve, currently if EE is 10/10 difficulty EN and EH are around a 2 and a 4 respectively. There are bad players I agree, but balancing for a current minority, even one I believe I'm part of, is exactly what Turbine shouldn't be doing.
    The level range for epic groups and the variety of EE quests is starting to address this. LOD elite and the Von series elite simply are not as tough as the high road chain or storm horns. The larger level range and higher levels is smoothing out that scale of difficulties and IMO, has almost eliminated the huge leap in difficulty issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzt14 View Post
    EEs need to be friendly beyond the "uber elite"
    Why? There are three other difficulty levels.

Community Member

+1

The single laser-focused item for a preview of the summary of the thread: Melee in Epic Elite probably needs some help. There's many possible ways to come at this problem, while trying to address other issues as well. Identifying problems now, solutions later!
    Just to make sure too (though not entirely about this topic) that Melee in Higher Level content (especially Epic Hard) needs love when dungeon scaling kicks in (EH w/ 2.5 players deals as much damage as 1 player in an EE version of the same dungeon).

Because the "uber elite" consist of 4 EDs (Fury, LD, Shiradi and DI) and a handful of build and splash combos. As many people on this thread have mentioned previously, classes and entire EDs aren't performing to a level that is effective in EE or even EH, which is a problem. I'm not saying bad builds should operate on high difficulties, but the window of effective class/ED combos is much smaller than it should be.
    Degenerate Matter
    Argonnessen

Grizzt
    Ivandria
    Sazcir
    Halania
    Tazaras
    Karjya
    Shintao Monk Henshin Mystic Mechanic Artificer Tempest

Archmage
    (Retired)
    Air Savant