Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default some haunted halls tips and triicks

ive solod hh quite a few times now and have figured out a few thing that may help others out.

first of all, it can be stealthed pretty easily (no rog skills reqd) and quickly once you know it well. im not gonna get specific, but the xp/min on the basic quest version is pretty high. if you have 2 men, one for each crest/side its even faster. devious bonus.is possible.

its also possible to go devious and still get all the keys you need.

on the door/floor dropout trap if you dont have a pet, you can survive it be standing far away from door and quickly doing a one eighty as you fall fo grab edge behind you. if you do this a group people will be impressed.

you can solo stealth pull the spear from the skellie boss, just have to find right spot, front left works best for.me.

on extended version, if you go ahead and open door near kobold area that later leads to the chest where floor drops out you can just invis right to it later, nothing follows when you drop.

when fighting white dragon do not backup after you . first activate him(my default action) or you may be killed by the rubble falling, theres no save, think autodeath.

thats all i . can think of, feel free to add.more in thread.

Community Member

Jump on torches above the door pits before opening

Quote Originally Posted by goldgolem View Post
    Jump on torches above the door pits before opening
    you beat me .... had allot of fun first run when i jumped up the torh but my guildy opened the door without doing so

Community Member

Default keys

Where do you get keys ?
    - the kobold red named key can be taken without a fight

Community Member

Default nice

Torch jumping, good to know. certainly not as cool looking as matrix 180 ciff grab, but way more lagproof, lol.

As for keys, yeah, kobold, another on toilet skellie and another in poison chest, may be more, but i only get those 3 when devious running. getting those 3 keys adds about 2 min to speed devious run, less with 2 people ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by 01000010 View Post
    Torch jumping, good to know. certainly not as cool looking as matrix 180 ciff grab, but way more lagproof, lol.

As for keys, yeah, kobold, another on toilet skellie and another in poison chest, may be more, but i only get those 3 when devious running. getting those 3 keys adds about 2 min to speed devious run, less with 2 people ofc.
    Have you tried tumbling backwards on a high tumble character i wonder if that would be doable.

Community Member

Default havent tried

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    Have you tried tumbling backwards on a high tumble character i wonder if that would be doable.
    havent tried tumbling, but so far i havent been able to get off a jump b4 floor falls out after door opening, so i doubt i could tumble.

Any tips for the Doppelgänger fight (refinding him once he is hurt enough). None of the other options appear to work. I just end up hitting the statue and waiting to see.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Community Member MalnackConospier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    Any tips for the Doppelgänger fight (refinding him once he is hurt enough). None of the other options appear to work. I just end up hitting the statue and waiting to see.
    Pick the statue with the highest CR. All the others will be the same, and lower.
    Conospier Family
    Necronack Conospier, Wizard/rogue, Mallevolence Conospier, Wizard, Malnack Conospier, Warlock, Necrocanter Conospier, Wizard.
    Leader of Friends of Dorothy! We are recruiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    Bluff worked for me, on a sorc with no investment in bluff, think it is around 49.

Thank you all for the tips and tricks. Currently testing some, please add more to the thread! This is great work!

not so much a tip or trick but if you can please run the Commentary edition.

The commentary Greenwood provides is amazing and it makes you really appreciate all the thoughts put into the quest. His story and bits of advice will do a lot not just for pen and paper DMs but even fantasy authors looking to build worlds.

~~~~

Don't forget your lightning absorb item!

And on the stair trap...feather fall and going down the right side of the stairs is the less painful route. (Least from what I've done)

The dragon chest can drop any named item in the quest, so it's worth taking the dragon on.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCookieQueen View Post
    Don't forget your lightning absorb item!
    On a caster,

go in, start the fight
    retreat to the doorway, let her follow you to it.
    Ddoor out and run back, but don't reenter the room
    Fireball the door from outside a few dozen times, she will take damage and eventually die, but she can't hit you back.

Will try both Bluff and CR on my next run. Finally pulled a Lantern in there from the Skelly.... On so much fun that quest is. I will have to see about an evasion tank for Miior.

No more sacrificing my panther on the way to zombie land either.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    On a caster,

go in, start the fight
    retreat to the doorway, let her follow you to it.
    Ddoor out and run back, but don't reenter the room
    Fireball the door from outside a few dozen times, she will take damage and eventually die, but she can't hit you back.
    That's an exploit, not a tip
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Hallway

The hallway with the pit can be entered from both sides. If you run and jump and stay left regardless of which side you enter the hallway from you will land on a rocky pad and can hop across to the opposite doorway.

However, if you fall down you will hit the bowels of the Halls and you can find some of Rivior's hidden treasure.

--

For me the Dopplganger seemed to hide in the last statute he wailed on.
    Last edited by Livmo; 03-19-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Treasure Hunter

Default Light the Dark, Blade Barrier, and Ring of Dejinn

Light the Dark damage works great on the ghosts. I used my SLA Light the Dark from the Unyielding Sentinel (http://ddowiki.com/page/Unyielding_Sentinel) to drop their health.

For example, in the fireplace room I would pull small chunks of ghosts back and into a cluster by door at the top of the stairs. When my dog an I needed some heals I would use Light the Dark for the heals and to weaken the ghosts. Light the Dark will recharge. I measured out my 4 SLAs and then kitted when I needed to wait for a recharge. I found I was using 1 to 2 Light the Darks on each pull.

EDIT (03/19/2014) ~ I forgot to mention that Light the Dark is affected by positive spell power. Mine does 333hp damage to surrounding ghosts in Haunted Halls, because I boosted my spell power.

--

Blade Barrier was nice for fighting the respawns in the mummy room. That mummy took me a good while to kill. The room is small, but still easy to drag the trash spawn thru and kill them while I had the mummy targeted with Imporved Precise Shot (http://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_Precise_Shot).

--

Since I'm only L24 right now I had to bust out the Ring Of Djinn a few times for electrical absorbtion. I used the Epic Normal (level 23). Run the GH epic chain and claim for an an end reward. I will have better gear once I hit level 25. The epic normal ring worked just fine tho.
    Last edited by Livmo; 03-19-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Community Member

Default commentary

Agreed on the commentary, inspiring really. Hopefully Greenwood inspired turbine and make them realize that they are walking on sacred ground with this game and treat it as such, that is what would turn this game around. Forgotten realms is basically Eds lifes work, do right by him.

Read the thread on mior, another thing ive discovered on one of the few runs I did with groups is that mior is definitely kitable and there is room for the rest of the group do stay out of harms way in the room if you can learn to "tight circle kite".

With my keybinding it I tight kite by simultaneously strafing, turning and using mouse to orient on target. Using hotkey moves while doing this takes some practice, but it is possible, I was able to keep agro while kiting while rest of group did whatever kind of ranged dps they could muster from safety, had an arty and caster in group, so I was able to do decent damge while kiting to keep agro.

I should mention that this build is a no fail reflex guy, so no fear of lgt damage, you do still get evades while tight kiting, so not far enough away to be done this way without evasion/saves, however, while kiting ive gotten to the point where mior cant physically hit me at all, she doesn't appear to have much reach on her melee strikes and/or possibly pauses a sec before swinging..

Havent tried it yet, but with a two hander evasion/saves build you may have the reach to hit her while tight kiting while taking little to no melee damage from her. Im fairly certain cleave type attacks would reach her.

Treasure Hunter

Default Ghost Touch (aka Ghostbane)

For Haunted Halls don't forget to bring a Ghost Touch weapon with you. I did on my last run and was still able to complete, but it was much more difficult.

Also if you want to use your main weapon instead of a Ghostbane weapon, and it has a red augment slot in it, then combine red box anniversary cards 7 and 8 for 5 Jewelers Tool Kits. Unslot the augment you have in it, and then reslot a Ghostbane augment (they are level 1). That will also give you a Ghost Touch weapon if you don't have any Ghostbane items.

May the Ghostbane be with you,

Liv
    Last edited by Livmo; 03-19-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Noticed last night with my two buddies that the Intimidate ( I hate the fact that this skill is not called Taunt ) skill works very well for keeping the undead guardians off of the spear puller in the Giant Skeleton boss room. This was on normal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast