Thread: Shurikens v2

Default Shurikens v2

Previous build here: click click

For those that had an interest in my previous build, here is what it evolved to.

12 Monk/6 Ranger/2 Artificer, Lawful Neutral Elf.

Stats (base):
    12 STR
    20 DEX
    12 CON
    16 INT
    14 WIS
    8 CHA

Stats (Unbuffed, +4tomes to all, +5 on int, all levels in DEX):
    25 STR
    54 DEX
    32 CON
    32 INT
    35 WIS
    23 CHA

Skills that matter, buffed and with item swaps (trap/social skills): Balance 59, Bluff 49(Crucible), Concentration 60, Diplomacy 51(Crucible),Disable Device 87, Heal 35, Open Lock 83(+17 item only), Search 98(100 with fire finisher for that Brothers door), Spot 80, UMD 46 (no swapping).

Feats: Bow Strength(Ranger), Completionist, Deflect Arrows, Improved Critical: Ranged, Improved Critical: Thrown, Improved Precise Shot, Manyshot(Ranger), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot(Ranger), Precision, Quick Draw, Rapid Shot(Ranger), Shuriken Expertise, Ten Thousand Stars, Zen Archery.
    Epics: Spellpower: Positive, Skill Focus: Search, Combat Archery, Blinding Speed.

Using Water Stance for ki-gen, Manyshot whenever it's off timer, Archer's Focus whenever there is a single high HP mob to deal with (red/orange named). Have some trap enhancements and the epic feat to reach the 98-99 search for the Brothers of the Forge secret door. Plus anticipating higher trap numbers in next update.

Current Gearset:
    Goggles - Intricate Field Optics with Heavy Fort and True Globe
    Helmet - Black Dragon Helm with DEX +3, Deathblock and INT +8
    Necklace - Deadly 10 Resist 10
    Trinket - Prowess CON +3
    Armor - Flawless Black Robe with Good Luck +2
    Cloak - Smoke II Greensteel HP item
    Bracers - DEX +10 False Life 50
    Belt - Health 10 Dodge 10%
    Ring 1 - Guardian's Ring with Draconic Gem
    Boots - FoM Boots
    Gloves - Backstabbers with vit 20
    Ring 2 - Sage's Ring with Feather Falling

Main Hand - Spelltouched Shurikens
    Off Hand - Celestia, 10/20/30 hamp shortsword when more healing is needed

Nice.

With IC:Ranged, Zen Archery and using Manyshot i suppose you are switching back and forth between shuriken and bow?

What does your positive spellpower, dodge and your saves look like?

With the EE Shadowsight you could reach the same amount of WIS (or get even higher with another insightful WIS item), free the Sage's ring slot and put a higher positive spellpower augment into the shuriken or the offhand weapon when the Thunderforged weapons come with update 21. This of course would mean you need a true seeing spell or switching briefly to a Yellow Planar Focus when you need to bypass Blur/Displacement which is quite seldom in my experience. Of course you would loose the Spot but still have a free ring slot.

I personally prefer to take two more points of DEX instead of Pin and Whistler because all of the CC that you can pack on a shuriken throw is quite reliable with trash mobs anyway especially with more and better CC coming on Thunderforged shuriken with Update 21.
    Last edited by Firewall; 03-04-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Bow is only used with Manyshot.

Positive SP could use a boost, or healing amp somewhere. Healing is lacking a little, but I can swap to that hamp sword when needed. Been considering the gauntlets from FoT for a while, but can never get them.

As for swapping the goggles, nah, I like the spot for trap purposes and others. Also don't really know anything about the new u21 gear yet. Can't really remove the ring yet either, it's my devotion boost.

Removing Pin and Whistler is an absolute no in my opinion, making mobs helpless just provides insane amounts of additionnal damage with No Mercy and Sense Weakness. And it's relatively easy to line up mobs and catch them all with those when you're used to it.

Community Member

Default What to use ki for on a shuri thrower.

You state you use water stance for ki-gen, what do you use the ki for? As opposed to going air for more dex and doubleshot chance?

Regards
    Suntank

Community Member

Needs some lavender to spruce things up a bit, just saying.

This is how to be truly fabulous!
    Sarlona: Tobril | Syg | Trogbril | Warmachyne | Sql

YouTube | Twitch

Well, I have a PLIS.

Community Member

I know we talked about this, and I forgot.

Does heavy draw not work?
    Sarlona: Tobril | Syg | Trogbril | Warmachyne | Sql

YouTube | Twitch

It works and I have it.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Admittedly I don't know much about shuriken builds, as I've never really been interested in them but I am curious now; It seems your main destiny is Shiradi, would it not be better to splash a third class that actually gave you some spellpower boosts for the shiradi procs? Although I don't know if that's the main source of your DPS, it would be good to have enough Spellpower to make them relatively strong, yes?

I honestly don't know if this is a terrible idea or not, just curious.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

That only works when spells are the source of the procs. Spellpower/metas do not affect procs on thrown weapons.

Procs are a bonus, the real DPS boost comes from having everything helpless with pin/whistler/venom and having No Mercy/Sense Weakness stacked.

Using a tier 2 Thunder-Forged Shuriken. On anything CCed with those, my damage currently goes up to 275+ first number(460+ crits, 900+ with sniper shot), up to 100 fire, up to 70 sneak and up to 150 bleed(on crit). Add to that whatever shiradi procs that can happen. That does not factor in outside buffs, only self + ship.

Then you can also have archer's focus stacked up to 25 which adds a ton more damage, but that's not used on trash, only on bosses since you cannot move much with it active. Red named cannot be helpless though, but orange can. On an orange, damage can reach 400 on first number(700+ crits/1.3k+ sniper shot) and roughly 130ish on red named first number.

All of this at a rate of roughly 2 throws per second, which can be up to 3 shurikens per throw without 10k, 5 with 10k and then there's the bow I use whenever I have manyshot off timer, which does even higher damage at always 4 shots per attack.
    Last edited by Ilindith; 03-24-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    That only works when spells are the source of the procs. Spellpower/metas do not affect procs on thrown weapons.

Procs are a bonus, the real DPS boost comes from having everything helpless with pin/whistler/venom and having No Mercy/Sense Weakness stacked.

Using a tier 2 Thunder-Forged Shuriken. On anything CCed with those, my damage currently goes up to 275+ first number(460+ crits, 900+ with sniper shot), up to 100 fire, up to 70 sneak and up to 150 bleed(on crit). Add to that whatever shiradi procs that can happen. That does not factor in outside buffs, only self + ship.

Then you can also have archer's focus stacked up to 25 which adds a ton more damage, but that's not used on trash, only on bosses since you cannot move much with it active. Red named cannot be helpless though, but orange can. On an orange, damage can reach 400 on first number(700+ crits/1.3k+ sniper shot) and roughly 130ish on red named first number.

All of this at a rate of roughly 2 throws per second, which can be up to 3 shurikens per throw without 10k, 5 with 10k and then there's the bow I use whenever I have manyshot off timer, which does even higher damage at always 4 shots per attack.
    Ah, okay I see now. Bummer it doesn't work on weapon attacks. But oh well.
    Looks like you're getting pretty good DPS regardless, which surprises me.
    Pretty awesome build all in all I think, so good on you mate.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

So the question is what effects held in your off hand will proc on your throws. We all hear about Celestia's Greater Sunburst. But I'm looking at an Alchemical +2 dex offhand stick or a thunder forged off hand and wondering what will proc. If anyone has tested the following are interesting off hand affixes:

Greater stone prison on T1?
    +10 seeker we know passes to main hand and saves a gear slot.

The 3% chance of stun on a stunning + affix, that used to pass to main hand way backfor TWF I think they nerfed that though.
    Shroud 2% procs on T2 alchemical seem like they might pass to main hand? and of course +2 dex bonus here = 4% increased Shurikens. and the 6% doublestrike/shot could save a gear slot for many levels, or even be your main source of DS Enhancement bonus (whats the best enhancement bonus on end game gear? 10%? 8% on bracers? I would happly give up 2% DS to save a gear slot, considering it comes on the +2 Dex Lightning II alchemical T2 why not.

T3 a red slot, will one of the new nifty Red augments effects transfer to the main hand? (Ruby of Righteousness, Meteor etc.) How about the on crit AOE?

Thunder forged affixes are an even bigger question mark.