Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

I made level 17 last night and took a level of paladin. Today I reread the thread since I have a better understanding now of what everyone is advising me. Sorta thinking I should have splashed fvs instead of pally. My survivability has gone up a lot since level 10 when i was getting one shot fairly often so I may not need the charisma bonus on saves as much. Too bad my heart of wood isn't a +1. I don't think i want to do two levels of both pally and fvs but who knows. maybe someone would tell me something to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by HardRobble View Post
    I made level 17 last night and took a level of paladin. Today I reread the thread since I have a better understanding now of what everyone is advising me. Sorta thinking I should have splashed fvs instead of pally. My survivability has gone up a lot since level 10 when i was getting one shot fairly often so I may not need the charisma bonus on saves as much. Too bad my heart of wood isn't a +1. I don't think i want to do two levels of both pally and fvs but who knows. maybe someone would tell me something to change my mind.
    The pally saves might not seem like necessary now, but they will as soon as you hit 20 and start doing epic quests. Traps and enemy spells can and will one-shot you if you do not save against them. As for going 16/2/2, my personal favorite is 16sorc/2pal/2monk but 16/2pal/2fvs is VERY popular for fire blasters, especially fire/force shiradi casting. Magic missile, force missile, and scorching ray giving 10 SP back per crit and proccing Shiradi per ray/missile is hard to turn down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Sorta thinking I should have splashed fvs instead of pally. My survivability has gone up a lot since level 10 when i was getting one shot fairly often so I may not need the charisma bonus on saves as much.
    As Trillea says, saves are gonna be a lot more important once you hit epics. You'll definitely notice the difference.

The real question is: go sorc 18 / pal 2 or sorc 16 / pal 2 / FvS 2? Advantage to sorc 18 is picking up a lvl 9 spell (probably Meteor Swarm) and lvl 18 core enh; FvS splash lets you pick up AoV enhs, specifically Scourge (stacking Spellpower), Smiting (extra crit chance), Just Reward (free SPs on spell crits), and possibly Efficient Maximize (which stacks w/sorc enhs, IIRC) if you have the APs for it. If you want Air Savant as your primary, I'd go sorc 18 / pal 2 to pick up core enh (knockdown immunity).
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Many thanks for all the advice in this thread - last night I reached level 20 (18/2 sorc/pally) and bought the epic destinies so I can continue leveling.

At this point I am lost again. I don't really know where I want to go from here much less how to do it.

I've really enjoyed spamming fireball and using chain lightning when the mobs are fire immune but I have noticed I tend to run out of SP between shrines too often. I've thrown meteor storm a few items but wasn't super impressed with its damage output for the spell cost (I think I could do without it). I also get knocked on my butt far too often.

I have tier 5 on fire and I've discovered that it prevents me from getting tier 5 in air - so I have to choose between either fireball SLA or wings.. I also don't yet have enough AP to get the anti knock-down skill in air.

I hear Shiradi is all the rage but looking at the Shiradi tree it appears that it is really meant mostly for bow users. I haven't had a chance yet to really study the epic trees and as of yet I haven't a clue what twists of fate are (I'll read the wiki).

Basically, I want to dish lots of DPS, have decent survivability, and not be super worried about SP (want my cake and eat it too?).

Any more advice for me? (hope i'm not sounding like I want too much hand holding)
    I currently still have the beginning lesser heart of wood, and 3 blood of dragons. I wouldn't have much issue with buying a lesser heart +2/3 from the DDO store either. I'm reading about several builds but a lot of the advanced stuff I don't have any experience with so it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense yet.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I have tier 5 on fire and I've discovered that it prevents me from getting tier 5 in air - so I have to choose between either fireball SLA or wings..
    Correct: you're only allowed to have the T5 enhs from one tree at a time.
    I also don't yet have enough AP to get the anti knock-down skill in air.
    80 APs is the max; if you've hit lvl 20, then there's no more left and you might want to consider respeccing your enhs.
    I hear Shiradi is all the rage but looking at the Shiradi tree it appears that it is really meant mostly for bow users.
    See all the abilities which say "Ranged, thrown attacks, and offensive spells have an extra 7% chance" of doing X dmg? That's effectively free DPS stacked on top of your spells every time it procs. What you'll want is Prism+Rainbow+Double Rainbow+Nerve Venom; all of those have a chance of proccing on every offensive spell you cast. So the basic premise behind most Shiradi casters is max out your proc chances by spamming as many low-SP spells as you can. The drawback is you have to work your way thru the ED trees to get to Shiradi: Fatesinger -> Shadowdancer -> Legendary Dreadnought -> Shiradi. Have a look at the Mechadi Champion; it's WF and hasn't been updated for the new Enhancements, but the basic concept is still sound.

For now, though, focus on leveling Draconic Incarnation; in particular, Energy Burst will be your new best friend.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 03-22-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Correct: you're only allowed to have the T5 enhs from one tree at a time.

80 APs is the max; if you've hit lvl cap, then there's no more left and you might want to consider respeccing your enhs.

See all the abilities which say "Ranged, thrown attacks, and offensive spells have an extra 7% chance" of doing X dmg? That's effectively free DPS stacked on top of your spells every time it procs. What you'll want is Prism+Rainbow+Double Rainbow+Nerve Venom; all of those have a chance of proccing on every offensive spell you cast. So the basic premise behind most Shiradi casters is max out your proc chances by spamming as many low-SP spells as you can. The drawback is you have to work your way thru the ED trees to get to Shiradi: Fatesinger -> Shadowdancer -> Legendary Dreadnought -> Shiradi. Have a look at the Mechadi Champion; it's WF and hasn't been updated for the new Enhancements, but the basic concept is still sound.

For now, though, focus on leveling Draconic Incarnation; in particular, Energy Burst will be your new best friend.
    First, telling me to work on draconic for now is very helpful as it give me a path to work on for a good while. second thanks for the link to that build - it seems very interesting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123