Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Member

Wink Hello <--- new player

Hello,

The depth and complexity of this game has always intrigued me, so (after years of visiting the game and leaving the game) I decided to subscribe, and spent some money at the DDO store: 32pt builds & Artificer.

I've never had a character over about level 3 (actual levels, not the 'sub' ones), but - in all cases/characters - have never left newb island.

Here's where I'm stuck - I have no effing clue what I'm doing and it's all pretty overwhelming. Despite being an MMORPG player of 14 years, there's a lot to digest here. I've read all of the forums I could find about 'being new to DDO' and 'New Player' etc. etc. but I find the information in the forums to be just as much to bite & chew as the game.

I made a Dwarf Pally - he's pretty good at smashing. I made a Half-Orc Pally and got my taint handed to me... clearly, I do not understand this game. Now I am playing a Halfling Monk and he seems to do pretty good. I would also like to play my Golem/Artificer guy.

In other games (EQ, EQ2, WoW, SWTOR, GW, GW2, the list continues) I've always played the spread (being an ALTaholic) of Tank, Caster, Healer, Ranged dps + pet. Probably ranged dps + pet is my favorite.

Anyway, looking for any mentors or friends (hell, even if you're as new & green as me), maybe even a guild to help me learn the ropes.

And if not, then I'm just here to say HELLO!

Uber Completionist

What server?

Edit: never mind
    Last edited by Icywave; 02-04-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Icywave - Orien Server - On life 88 - First Ultimate Completionist - 3x all past life feats- Guild: Intel Rq'd
    Build & Gear: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ast-life-feats

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Servers

If your on Sarlona look me up. Also, I started a new toon on all servers over the weekend. I may play a bit more on Ghallanda. I was surprised at how many players were there and the diversity of lfms was nice. Also peeps seemed friendly on Thelanis. Sarlona is my home, but I would not mind doing a few runs a week on another server.

Welcome!

since this is in the Ghallanda forum...I'll just assume you're on my turf ^^

Quick and easy Newbie Guide and lots of info is easily available on the DDO Wiki: http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide

That site will quickly become your holy grail of info.

The other advice I can give you is to just play. Never be afraid to ask questions of other players...yeah some can be mean but many are more than happy to teach.

Feel free to catch me in game (toons listed in signature) if you need more help!

Good luck and game on!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadCookieQueen View Post
    Welcome!

since this is in the Ghallanda forum...I'll just assume you're on my turf ^^

Quick and easy Newbie Guide and lots of info is easily available on the DDO Wiki: http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide

That site will quickly become your holy grail of info.

The other advice I can give you is to just play. Never be afraid to ask questions of other players...yeah some can be mean but many are more than happy to teach.

Feel free to catch me in game (toons listed in signature) if you need more help!

Good luck and game on!
    Thank you MadCookieQueen. A 'Holy Grail' of newbness is exactly what I'm looking for, so I will book mark that link and just keep it open on my second monitor.

And thanks to all for the encouraging posts! I haven't yet figured out how the 'friends' function works in the game, but I'm sure I'll manage; I'll be adding many names - thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Icywave View Post
    What server?
    Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    If your on Sarlona look me up. Also, I started a new toon on all servers over the weekend. I may play a bit more on Ghallanda. I was surprised at how many players were there and the diversity of lfms was nice. Also peeps seemed friendly on Thelanis. Sarlona is my home, but I would not mind doing a few runs a week on another server.
    He's posting in the Ghallanda area.. That might be a good hint?
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Uber Completionist

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    He's posting in the Ghallanda area.. That might be a good hint?
    Yeah, had looked at the post from " new posts " and hadn't paid attention to the " Forum section ", oupsy
    Icywave - Orien Server - On life 88 - First Ultimate Completionist - 3x all past life feats- Guild: Intel Rq'd
    Build & Gear: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ast-life-feats

Community Manager

Just wanted to welcome you to DDO, and hope you have a lot of fun here!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Welcome on G-land and I second what MadCookieQueen said about ddowiki. Usually we folks on G-land are friendly and happy to help, even thou one has to take certain advices and infos given with some grain of salt

I guess the thing that is puzzling most new players is where to go next because there is no real walk-through. Especially due to the fact that the starter zone is existing in two instances. The snowy (where you start) and the sunny version (after you have beaten the intro serie). They added meanwhile those green arrows to help but I would advise to open your social panel (hit O) and check if there are others on winter Korthos to group with or ask in chat as it is a lot easier to run through it with someone who already made it.

Additionally read the conversation carefully as it give certain clues what is going on and where to head next. Later in game you most likely skip over those, but at the start those informations may be crucial to get a hint. Explore and try to open each door and sideway and you will quickly get an idea how the game works.

Quote Originally Posted by Conniving_Sumo View Post
    I made a Dwarf Pally - he's pretty good at smashing. I made a Half-Orc Pally and got my taint handed to me... clearly, I do not understand this game. Now I am playing a Halfling Monk and he seems to do pretty good. I would also like to play my Golem/Artificer guy.
    Keep in mind that this game has a very active combat, which mean that most enemy attacks can either be blocked (holding shift key in the right moment) or dodged (strafe left/right, alternative while holding shift) and that casters are usually more dangerous than fighters (e.g. those nasty Kobold shamans throwing that electricity spell). Use your environment, like breaking line of sight. I believe there is a nice video on youtube that explain most of those tactics quite well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybwQpc22p3U

Also if you advanced and wonder how to beat a certain quest, lookup the Diaries of a True Reincarnate from MrCow.

so long and have fun!
    Last edited by SisAmethyst; 02-04-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added video link
    * We have collectable bags, mind you, even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SisAmethyst View Post
    Welcome on G-land and I second what MadCookieQueen said about ddowiki. Usually we folks on G-land are friendly and happy to help, even thou one has to take certain advices and infos given with some grain of salt

I guess the thing that is puzzling most new players is where to go next because there is no real walk-through. Especially due to the fact that the starter zone is existing in two instances. The snowy (where you start) and the sunny version (after you have beaten the intro serie). They added meanwhile those green arrows to help but I would advise to open your social panel (hit O) and check if there are others on winter Korthos to group with or ask in chat as it is a lot easier to run through it with someone who already made it.

Additionally read the conversation carefully as it give certain clues what is going on and where to head next. Later in game you most likely skip over those, but at the start those informations may be crucial to get a hint. Explore and try to open each door and sideway and you will quickly get an idea how the game works.

Keep in mind that this game has a very active combat, which mean that most enemy attacks can either be blocked (holding shift key in the right moment) or dodged (strafe left/right, alternative while holding shift) and that casters are usually more dangerous than fighters (e.g. those nasty Kobold shamans throwing that electricity spell). Use your environment, like breaking line of sight. I believe there is a nice video on youtube that explain most of those tactics quite well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybwQpc22p3U

Also if you advanced and wonder how to beat a certain quest, lookup the Diaries of a True Reincarnate from MrCow.

so long and have fun!
    Thanks, SisAmethyst for the YouTube video and the Diaries from MrCow suggestion!

If you still are some kind of lost, you can ask me for help =)
    In game my main char is Luroc Ironfist, or Midnaight, or you can pm =D

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Conniving_Sumo View Post
    Hello,

The depth and complexity of this game has always intrigued me, so (after years of visiting the game and leaving the game) I decided to subscribe, and spent some money at the DDO store: 32pt builds & Artificer.

I've never had a character over about level 3 (actual levels, not the 'sub' ones), but - in all cases/characters - have never left newb island.

Here's where I'm stuck - I have no effing clue what I'm doing and it's all pretty overwhelming. Despite being an MMORPG player of 14 years, there's a lot to digest here. I've read all of the forums I could find about 'being new to DDO' and 'New Player' etc. etc. but I find the information in the forums to be just as much to bite & chew as the game.

In other games (EQ, EQ2, WoW, SWTOR, GW, GW2, the list continues) I've always played the spread (being an ALTaholic) of Tank, Caster, Healer, Ranged dps + pet. Probably ranged dps + pet is my favorite.

Anyway, looking for any mentors or friends (hell, even if you're as new & green as me), maybe even a guild to help me learn the ropes.

And if not, then I'm just here to say HELLO!
    I started out with FvS, failed (didn't know what I was doing - invested in dex and stuff), TR'd (awesome feature for when you make mistakes), read up on what's good for FvS, built it pretty cookie cutter and it worked. My next one was a Ranger, followed by fighter etc. So I didn't pick the easiest classes to start out with but it taught me some basics.

If you want simple classes try fighter. It's basically Str and Con for DPS based and a little bit more dex and a little less str for a tank. Or arti. Believe it or not but arti is a fairly good class to try out. Rogue skills and excellent early DPS. Max Int, split con and dex and you have all the DPS and skills you need.

What I love about DDO is that you're not type cast as a special healer/tank/ranged etc. You have a pretty broad spectrum of choices and while you can screw some stuff you can always lesser reincarnate or even True reincarnate in order to make whatever you want to try out.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Talking

Op -

Welcome to DDO. I agree, starting off can be overwhleming, I have seen it with other new players as well.

Here are my suggestions, as you are doing nothing but Korthos up to now:

1) Find your key settings and don't be afraid to make them what you want to make the game comfortable to play.

2) Read all dialogue boxes your first time through - they often give clues as to what you'll be fighting or the environment (i.e., buffs) you'll want.

3) Don't be afraid to put up an lfm: be sure to say 'new player' so you don't attract the zerg crowd.

4) Out of Korthos, you will enter the Harbor. Open your Quest Journal and Adventure Compendium to see the quests available to you. I would suggest starting at level 2 quests and do them all, then move to level 3, etc. Try casual first if you feel less than confident, but then re-run them Normal. Quests dramatically increase from Hard to Elite as you may have noticed, so be ready.

5) Collect everything, many collectables [can be turned in to] give buffs and things like healing potions which are very handy for new players.

6) Meet people - if you find people you like, and they are in a guild, explore joining.

The worst that will happen is that you will die and some idiot may yell you. It's a game; ignore the idiots and have fun. Often, the only way to learn early is to fail. Failing can also be quite funny. So, overall, enjoy the journey!
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1--2 -3 -4 -5--6 -7 -8--9--10 -11-12 13 14! 15 16 17 years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Welcome!

I hope you enjoy the game and have fun.
    I play as Heall on the Thelanis server, if you ever come over for a visit.
    I don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It can certainly hurt to be on the receiving end of a nerf

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    Op -

Welcome to DDO. I agree, starting off can be overwhleming, I have seen it with other new players as well.

Here are my suggestions, as you are doing nothing but Korthos up to now:

1) Find your key settings and don't be afraid to make them what you want to make the game comfortable to play.

2) Read all dialogue boxes your first time through - they often give clues as to what you'll be fighting or the environment (i.e., buffs) you'll want.

3) Don't be afraid to put up an lfm: be sure to say 'new player' so you don't attract the zerg crowd.

4) Out of Korthos, you will enter the Harbor. Open your Quest Journal and Adventure Compendium to see the quests available to you. I would suggest starting at level 2 quests and do them all, then move to level 3, etc. Try casual first if you feel less than confident, but then re-run them Normal. Quests dramatically increase from Hard to Elite as you may have noticed, so be ready.

5) Collect everything, many collectables [can be turned in to] give buffs and things like healing potions which are very handy for new players.

6) Meet people - if you find people you like, and they are in a guild, explore joining.

The worst that will happen is that you will die and some idiot may yell you. It's a game; ignore the idiots and have fun. Often, the only way to learn early is to fail. Failing can also be quite funny. So, overall, enjoy the journey!
    Thanks for the advice, Hafeal - especially #1, 4, and 5! I've got failing down pretty good, so I hope to see some of that humor!

Community Member

And thanks to everyone else for the kind 'welcome's - it's nice to have a friendly, active community. In the coming weeks/months I hope to shed some of my green for a bit more seasoning.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    I started out with FvS, failed (didn't know what I was doing - invested in dex and stuff), TR'd (awesome feature for when you make mistakes), read up on what's good for FvS, built it pretty cookie cutter and it worked. My next one was a Ranger, followed by fighter etc. So I didn't pick the easiest classes to start out with but it taught me some basics.

If you want simple classes try fighter. It's basically Str and Con for DPS based and a little bit more dex and a little less str for a tank. Or arti. Believe it or not but arti is a fairly good class to try out. Rogue skills and excellent early DPS. Max Int, split con and dex and you have all the DPS and skills you need.

What I love about DDO is that you're not type cast as a special healer/tank/ranged etc. You have a pretty broad spectrum of choices and while you can screw some stuff you can always lesser reincarnate or even True reincarnate in order to make whatever you want to try out.
    Thanks for the tips - I'm more excited to try my Arti now!

Community Member

Default willing to help

Send me your name and I can help walk you through some thing. Always eager to help a new guy out. Send me a mail to talcork or talckmo in game. I will be on those toons more in the next few days. Try talcoun too. Will be tr'ing him soon and will be on him also. Might be able to run some with you.