Default What Goes Up - Any suggestions for fixing graphic stuttering in this quest??

Every time I run what goes up, I get horrible lag up on top of the mountain at the end fight.
    So much so, I've nearly written off this quest as being playable. It's like a slideshow up there.

I've seen some good advice in the forums such as turning off post processing for the shadowfell effect, (Which has been fantastic).
    I was just wondering if anyone has some specific advice on things I could try just for this particular quest?

(Note: I do not have lag on any other quest except for the undead one with the boat in House D, which I've read is pretty common, so it's not my rig.)

Thanks for any advice, Happy adventuring!
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    Every time I run what goes up, I get horrible lag up on top of the mountain at the end fight.
    So much so, I've nearly written off this quest as being playable. It's like a slideshow up there.

I've seen some good advice in the forums such as turning off post processing for the shadowfell effect, (Which has been fantastic).
    I was just wondering if anyone has some specific advice on things I could try just for this particular quest?

(Note: I do not have lag on any other quest except for the undead one with the boat in House D, which I've read is pretty common, so it's not my rig.)

If you're talking about graphical stuttering (everything, including your buff timers freeze) then no, this is a problem with your system. I have the same problem. And I also have no lag anywhere else. And this isn't really lag either.

ETA: You can try to turn your graphical settings down. If you still have the problem, then it's probably unfixable for you. Also make sure that you've killed everything else on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    If you're talking about graphical stuttering (everything, including your buff timers freeze) then no, this is a problem with your system. I have the same problem. And I also have no lag anywhere else. And this isn't really lag either.

ETA: You can try to turn your graphical settings down. If you still have the problem, then it's probably unfixable for you. Also make sure that you've killed everything else on your computer.
    Yep, it's stuttering. It's like watching a slide show.. I was hoping that it wasn't going to require a whole new graphics setting, I spent quite a bit of time tweaking it all so that it would look as good as possible without any issues, and it does great everywhere but up here.
    Thanks for your reply, jalont. Hopefully someone else has had this issue as well and has come up with an easy fix.
    It would be annoying to have to redo my graphics settings each time I wanted to run this one quest and then change them all back again..

Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Yep, it's stuttering. It's like watching a slide show.. I was hoping that it wasn't going to require a whole new graphics setting, I spent quite a bit of time tweaking it all so that it would look as good as possible without any issues, and it does great everywhere but up here.
    Thanks for your reply, jalont. Hopefully someone else has had this issue as well and has come up with an easy fix.
    It would be annoying to have to redo my graphics settings each time I wanted to run this one quest and then change them all back again..
    What DX setting are you running?
    Chaninging DDO graphic setting from DX10 to DX9 worked wonders for me, especially in WGU.
    WGU endfight when orc hoards spawn went from <10 FPS to solid 30-40 FPS.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    What DX setting are you running?
    Chaninging DDO graphic setting from DX10 to DX9 worked wonders for me, especially in WGU.
    WGU endfight when orc hoards spawn went from <10 FPS to solid 30-40 FPS.
    I'm running 11 atm..

I will give this a shot and see if it helps, thanks for the suggestion.

My old computer had a stuttering problem in the Subterrane and Shadow Crypt. Turning "Environment Stencil Shadows" off fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Therrias View Post
    My old computer had a stuttering problem in the Subterrane and Shadow Crypt. Turning "Environment Stencil Shadows" off fixed it.
    See this is exactly the kind of tip I was hoping I would run into..
    I did this for those areas already thanks to forum posts a long time ago, and am so glad I found it.

I was hoping there would be another soul who was frustrated by this and found the "just click this box and it goes away" secret tip for this particular quest. There may not be one, however. Still, it was worth asking, IMO. You never know.

I'm running 11 atm..

I will give this a shot and see if it helps, thanks for the suggestion.
    Yeah, even on a good machine you will take a MASSIVE performance hit from switching to dx 10 or 11 from 9. I'm not sure what causes this but from what I've been able to discover this is the single biggest component in your fps in this game.

Other things that can cause issues:

Environment stencil shadows (turn these off)
    Turn down the view distance a bit
    Video post processing effects (turn these off)

Since this is a PC game there's rarely a one-button fix that works for everyone because everyone's rig is a little different.
    Kimmeh--Lehren--Natheme--Arekkeh--Daiahn--Yesminde
    Join Magefire Cannon on Thelanis!
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Set frill distance to disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Therrias View Post
    Set frill distance to disabled?
    Hmmmm.. Certainly worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Environment stencil shadows (turn these off)
    Turn down the view distance a bit
    Video post processing effects (turn these off)
    Check on all 3. Yes I found these make a big difference.
    Only downside I can see to the post processing being off is that liquid looks rather unrealistic in the game now.
    But huge improvement on the shadowfell area! I can see again!

Thanks to all for suggestions.. Next time I run it I will try some of these and see if they help, then update my OP so others can get an idea of what worked and what did not.

Community Member

Best solution....this is what I do.

Don't run it. Game engine is overmatched for these new quests and even on top notched systems, lag freezes are common especially when shadowfell effects hit.

I was getting the same problem every time I ran any of the forgotten realms stuff. In Eberron I was fine but in FR I was a mess. Seems my rig couldn't handle the more intense graphics of the forgotten realms. All I did was switch my graphics setting from ultra high to high and completely fixxed it. And looks wise I really don't see much difference. I run what goes up all the time and never have this problem anymore.

Community Member

I wasn't really having any issues but I switched from DX 11 to 9 and was amazed at how much better the graphics got!! (Though it didn't help at all with this quest when everything turns a pinkish/purple color towards the end of the quest!!)

Community Member

Default What goes up...

Switching from DX11 to 9 made the graphics look amazing...
    As to the quest itself I'd avoid it. We just did it on Epic Elite and I might have had more fun shaving with a cheese grader!! The fight at the end of the Quest against Amskar & the Shadovar is total BS!!! Everything turns this pink/purple color which makes it extremely hard to see squat then the assassins and other mobs which continually respawn tend to instantly kill you if you don't just walk off the ledge because you can't see!!! 231 deaths later (we refused to give up) we finally beat it. Though the XP was good the loot really wasn't worth the hassle. DDO really needs to either nerf thes quest(the end fight at least) or make the rewards worthwhile!

Community Member

Default What goes up...

As to the quest itself I'd avoid it. We just did it on Epic Elite and I might have had more fun shaving with a cheese grader!! The fight at the end of the Quest against Amskar & the Shadovar is total BS!!! Everything turns this pink/purple color which makes it extremely hard to see squat then the assassins and other mobs which continually respawn tend to instantly kill you if you don't just walk off the ledge because you can't see!!! 231 deaths later (we refused to give up) we finally beat it. Though the XP was good the loot really wasn't worth the hassle. DDO really needs to either nerf this quest(the end fight at least) or make the rewards worthwhile!

Community Member

Default What goes up...

As to the quest itself I'd avoid it. We just did it on Epic Elite and I might have had more fun shaving with a cheese grater!! The fight at the end of the Quest against Amskar & the Shadovar is total BS!!! Everything turns this pink/purple color which makes it extremely hard to see squat then the assassins and other mobs which continually respawn tend to instantly kill you if you don't just walk off the ledge because you can't see!!! 231 deaths later (we refused to give up) we finally beat it. Though the XP was good the loot really wasn't worth the hassle. DDO really needs to either nerf this quest(the end fight at least) or make the rewards worthwhile!