Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Are we playing tonight?

I'll pop on for a while in case.

I have no plans not to be there. Is everyone else going to be there?
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    The best PVP in this game happens in the forums. Usually when someone brings up the need for more PVP.

I'll be there.

yep

Community Member

Fun time last night. Thanks all. What does everyone think about using voice chat to RP at least outside of the tavern? I would prefer it but am wondering how others feel.

Anyway, really enjoying this group. Thank you

I don't know- I find it harder to get into character with voice chat, but we could use voice chat for OOC chat. Manually typing tends to let us "fill in the blanks" and mentally give the characters suitable voices, which may be quite different from the voices we imagine those characters possessing. I'm not 100% sure but I think Arianrhod is male IRL, so him RPing as Jaelana using voice chat would be a bit jarring.
    The best PVP in this game happens in the forums. Usually when someone brings up the need for more PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcatch22 View Post
    I don't know- I find it harder to get into character with voice chat, but we could use voice chat for OOC chat. Manually typing tends to let us "fill in the blanks" and mentally give the characters suitable voices, which may be quite different from the voices we imagine those characters possessing. I'm not 100% sure but I think Arianrhod is male IRL, so him RPing as Jaelana using voice chat would be a bit jarring.
    Nope, not male

I'm ok with doing things either way, but if we keep RP to typing only I expect I'll either be falling behind the group often as I stop to type, or keeping quiet as I try to keep up or focus on combat

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    Nope, not male

I'm ok with doing things either way, but if we keep RP to typing only I expect I'll either be falling behind the group often as I stop to type, or keeping quiet as I try to keep up or focus on combat
    I see... sometimes its hard to tell over the internet. I tend to go by avatars or usernames, and yours struck me as male.

that's something to consider then... I tend to avoid voice chat unless my GF is included in it, because she hates listening to me talk and we live in a very small apartment in which there is little escape from that sort of thing, but that would only be an issue if she has Monday off. We could always use voice chat to announce that we're typing an RP monologue so that the herd mentality doesn't carry us away.

Community Member

I see... sometimes its hard to tell over the internet. I tend to go by avatars or usernames, and yours struck me as male.

that's something to consider then... I tend to avoid voice chat unless my GF is included in it, because she hates listening to me talk and we live in a very small apartment in which there is little escape from that sort of thing, but that would only be an issue if she has Monday off. We could always use voice chat to announce that we're typing an RP monologue so that the herd mentality doesn't carry us away.
    Does she play DDO? you could always try to convince her to join us?

I do doubt that I would want to hold up the group to announce that I wanted to type long RP very often Is letting those who want to do it through voice do it that way and those who want to type do it that way a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightsong View Post
    Does she play DDO? you could always try to convince her to join us?
    Yes she does, but she can't really do an RP schedule due to an evening work schedule and rotating days off. Also she doesn't care enough about lore to learn enough about the world to RP in it.

I do doubt that I would want to hold up the group to announce that I wanted to type long RP very often
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing...?

Is letting those who want to do it through voice do it that way and those who want to type do it that way a possibility?
    Maybe, but that might come of as a little incongruous. I'd be willing to let us RP in voice chat if a majority want it, or if a majority wants to do OOC in voice chat.

Community Member

Y

Is that a good thing or a bad thing...?

Well, I just meant it would seem a little weird typing "can you guys wait up a moment so I can RP?" very often I may do it the odd time though.

But I'm fine with whatever the rest of you feel comfortable with. I tend to look at RP more as avoiding complete anachronisms and generally acting in a character-appropriate way rather than completely portraying your character like an actor would, which I'm not very good at...But I realize that if you're doing the latter voice could complicate things.

Well, I just meant it would seem a little weird typing "can you guys wait up a moment so I can RP?" very often I may do it the odd time though.

But I'm fine with whatever the rest of you feel comfortable with. I tend to look at RP more as avoiding complete anachronisms and generally acting in a character-appropriate way rather than completely portraying your character like an actor would, which I'm not very good at...But I realize that if you're doing the latter voice could complicate things.
    Oh no, you wouldn't type it, that's what OOC voice chat would be for. You would tell us in voice to hold on in case we're distracted with running around.

I think that's more or less what everyone does when they freehand RP in a videogame, really. I deliberately chose a character that had a similar philosophical worldview to me so I could portray him with more vitality early on. Trying to establish unique character traits and sensible backstory at the moment.

everyone planning on being here tonight?

I'll be on right around 8 CST.

Yep I'll be there at 8 CST as well.

Default guild name thoughts

I've been thinking about our conversation last session and thought it might be time to start up the discussion of possible guild names. I'd like to hear other people's suggestions, but just to get things started here are some thoughts I had -
    We've got a pretty diverse group - merchant turned monk, farmer training to be an illusionist, noble turned druid..not sure about the origins of Taedrael (cleric champion of the poor?) & Ayaden (think he mentioned something about a tribe once - uncomfortable around strangers, maybe?), but we do seem to have some things in common, such as an interest in rescuing the helpless and putting down evil cults.
    Anyway, being mindful of Metamorphion's stated preference for something short, I've been trying to think of something that might fit our group. One thing that came to mind was taking the name of one of the evil organizations in Eberron and coming up with an opposite for it. I tried Lords of Dust (think we'd all be pretty much united in opposing a nasty cabal of rakhasas bent on world domination), and came up with Servants of Rain. Definitely needed work(no style at all, and a little too humble), so I played with it a bit, going through Seeds of Storm till I arrived at Stormborn. Short, and with a bit of flair, even references a bit of how the group met up (castaways from a shipwreck). It'll do for a first suggestion, I think

(tl;dr summary: suggest Stormborn as guildname)

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    I've been thinking about our conversation last session and thought it might be time to start up the discussion of possible guild names. I'd like to hear other people's suggestions, but just to get things started here are some thoughts I had -
    We've got a pretty diverse group - merchant turned monk, farmer training to be an illusionist, noble turned druid..not sure about the origins of Taedrael (cleric champion of the poor?) & Ayaden (think he mentioned something about a tribe once - uncomfortable around strangers, maybe?), but we do seem to have some things in common, such as an interest in rescuing the helpless and putting down evil cults.
    Anyway, being mindful of Metamorphion's stated preference for something short, I've been trying to think of something that might fit our group. One thing that came to mind was taking the name of one of the evil organizations in Eberron and coming up with an opposite for it. I tried Lords of Dust (think we'd all be pretty much united in opposing a nasty cabal of rakhasas bent on world domination), and came up with Servants of Rain. Definitely needed work(no style at all, and a little too humble), so I played with it a bit, going through Seeds of Storm till I arrived at Stormborn. Short, and with a bit of flair, even references a bit of how the group met up (castaways from a shipwreck). It'll do for a first suggestion, I think

(tl;dr summary: suggest Stormborn as guildname)
    I would say Metamorphion is more of an artisan than a merchant, though he is definitely merchant-class and his father did a lot of trading and selling of gems and jewelery, so he knows his way around the bargaining table.

As for guild name... Speaking from a purely selfish standpoint, storms imply a bit more chaos than I think Metamorphion is interested in. He is a more orderly and calm person, so something like rain is probably closer than a storm, or something involving earth. One of the few ways he is still a stereotypical dwarf is that he loves to be underground and loves geological studies (though inventing "science" for him is a royal pain). So if it were only up to me, I would pick something that touched on things like balance, goodness, harmony, earth, water, ect.

I like Stormborn. Some other possibilities along those lines might be Stormforged, Winterborn, Snowborn, Winterforged. Forged would be group made in one of the above. Might apply to us. Born or forged might sound a bit less chaotic.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raeaddil View Post
    I like Stormborn. Some other possibilities along those lines might be Stormforged, Winterborn, Snowborn, Winterforged. Forged would be group made in one of the above. Might apply to us. Born or forged might sound a bit less chaotic.
    I would prefer to stay away from the -Born of -Forged part. I think Cyrilath would not believe he was born to a heroic destiny. Actually I like "Servants of Rain" although perhaps something a little less humble than servants ("Disciples"? "Agents"?)

I think I like the idea of including Disciple in some form in the name; something along the lines of somethings Disciples might be good.

I actually like Disciples of Rain, if it suits the rest. Has a nice ring to it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast