Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Add half my guild and I to the list. Its getting unbearable

Ya know, I'll try to keep it short. My guildies and I have experienced a horrendous amount of issues, across a variety of hardware and software, and We would like to hear that these issues are being researched/addressed.

Currently, Issues include,

1. Connection issues. On starting client, client is sending packets but not receiving any, causing client to shut down. Can occur multiple times before client hooks up.

2. Client crashes. Randomly, the client just crashes, and often as not, crashes PC too. As often as every 20 minutes and as far apart as 3 hours.

3. Video drivers crashing. Constantly restarts, if it doesn't crash the client.

4. Black Screen. Client doesn't crash, but screen is black, and will not reset until client/PC is restarted.

5. I am sure there is more, Including the recent random server disconnects, but these 4 above are the mains.

Machines run from cheap to high end. Windows xp to win 7. Running on dx9 to dx11. Something horrible has been done, and in the last 3 months especially bad.

I been playing this game on my comp since March 06. In 2010, I upgraded to gts 250 vid card (dx10) and win7. I have been playing very well all these years, but suddenly, I cant stay in game for longer than 30 minutes, it takes me sometimes 30 minutes to log on, due to poor connectivity, and it is really getting me down.

My guildies are experiencing most of the same things. And I been trying to find solutions. Clean windows installs, clean boots, disable firewalls, no a/v programs, Clean ddo installs, low res and high, Dx runtimes downloads, Audio drivers and video drivers.

All different combinations. failures. sometime I get stability in one area, but hard fault in another. Like it wont crash PC now, just blackscreen.

I look to the internet and view many many gamers across the world having same issues as us, in other games with dx11.

I begin to believe that the fault lies in Directx, its incarntions, and implementation. when trying to play other dx11 games, our comps/clients crash there too. Somewhere there is faulty code, that vid cards can't handle, and its crashing our comps.

I would like to see us rolled back for dx support to dx10 or even 9. get rid of it.

I see in the faq your solution for black screen is run in dx9 anyways, its like your not trying to fix it. just here you go, band-aid it and move on. I realize dx is Microsolths' domain, but you can choose to revert back to dx9

there is no excuse why a game that was good for 7 years now wont play on any system I have, new and old amd and intel, 32 and 64 bit, Something is wrong.

Community Member

+1. Either fix it or I'm gone.

Community Member

The first problem I just accepted and just let it slide. That is, I too have to start the game twice. Oh well, bummer.

The other problems pretty much disappear after you delete/rename a file in your game directory called "AwesomiumProcess.exe" AFTER the game checks it's files (you disable it when you see the window to enter your password or select the server). You can't use game store if you do that, but the game doesn't crash. And if you do wanna use the store, restart the game without deleting/renaming that file.

i'm experiensing NONE of these issues on any of my machines. i run dx11 on all of them and they are win7 pros - 64 bit.

i do experiense lag, rubber-banding, etc though.
    Last edited by Arianka; 12-08-2013 at 02:11 PM.

If the problem is DX, then a simple switch over to OpenGL would potentially address this.

Any Mac users experiencing problems like this?

I mainly play on my mutant of a desktop Win7 machine, but gaming on the go is on my MBP & apart from lag due in part to having to tether off my phone, it plays splendidly.

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    If the problem is DX, then a simple switch over to OpenGL would potentially address this.

Any Mac users experiencing problems like this?

I mainly play on my mutant of a desktop Win7 machine, but gaming on the go is on my MBP & apart from lag due in part to having to tether off my phone, it plays splendidly.
    agreed. but I don't think DDO supports OpenGL.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianka View Post
    i'm experiensing NONE of these issues on any of my machines. i run dx11 on all of them and they are win7 pros - 64 bit.

i do experiense lag, rubber-banding, etc though.
    Cool. My machine had none of these issues for years,either, with a dx10 card. Now it cant. I read so many posts about ppl who have dx11 cards and newer gear than I having issues. My gts 250 is pumping 550 fps outside of ddo and is rocking steady.

Quote Originally Posted by I_was_Whesper View Post
    The first problem I just accepted and just let it slide. That is, I too have to start the game twice. Oh well, bummer.

The other problems pretty much disappear after you delete/rename a file in your game directory called "AwesomiumProcess.exe" AFTER the game checks it's files (you disable it when you see the window to enter your password or select the server). You can't use game store if you do that, but the game doesn't crash. And if you do wanna use the store, restart the game without deleting/renaming that file.
    Yup. killing off Awesomejunk.exe definitely helps, so much I use auto kill any process, to stab it in the heart. But this funky game keep glitching, wether I leave awesomecrap running or not.

I too don't mind bugs if I know they getting addressed. Its getting so bad I encourage my guildies to head back to Unreal. When I hosted the server, I made SURE it ran smooth as ice.

So what's different between your machine and the other half of the guild that isn't having any problems?

DDO runs very smooth for me... I'm really surprised that a clean windows install and clean ddo install didn't fix the problem... Have you tried replacing the video card? Since a fresh install, and different drivers haven't helped, maybe it's a physical problem with your video card and it is just on the edge of being fried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    So what's different between your machine and the other half of the guild that isn't having any problems?

DDO runs very smooth for me... I'm really surprised that a clean windows install and clean ddo install didn't fix the problem... Have you tried replacing the video card? Since a fresh install, and different drivers haven't helped, maybe it's a physical problem with your video card and it is just on the edge of being fried.
    I see these problems across many different machines. It just isnt on my main, but my $5 dollar emachine yard sale special, alienware towers, etc etc.

I currently am installing xp 32 bit back in my main and keeping it clean nothing else installed. AND installing Low res DDO,
    again...

and when it runs... it does run smooth as ice. I am thinking somewhere, somehow, a file conflict is sending my rigs into la la land.

And If it was my vid card... why would it replicate in my spare pc's? and it just isnt ddo, all dx11 games I try to fail too...

That points to not ddo's fault, BUT... If DDO is using code that causes this issue, it needs to be helped

Quote Originally Posted by Furbitor View Post
    1. Connection issues. On starting client, client is sending packets but not receiving any, causing client to shut down. Can occur multiple times before client hooks up.
    This one is annoying but easily fixed with a third party tool. Search for DDOPreloader. It works around the issue that Turbine needs to fix.

2. Client crashes. Randomly, the client just crashes, and often as not, crashes PC too. As often as every 20 minutes and as far apart as 3 hours.
    I've been having a problem with this the past two months but it seems to be related to the issue I found with number 3.

3. Video drivers crashing. Constantly restarts, if it doesn't crash the client.
    My machine has been having issues mostly in DDO but sometimes when DDO hasn't been started. I used a crash dump analyzer to track down the issue and it seems to be a video driver update for my card released through Windows update to Win7x64 machines that was for Win8x64. Highly annoying. I'm still determining if reverting the driver fixed this.

4. Black Screen. Client doesn't crash, but screen is black, and will not reset until client/PC is restarted.
    I get this when the video driver crashes without taking out the PC.

5. I am sure there is more, Including the recent random server disconnects, but these 4 above are the mains.
    I've only had this happen rarely and usually a quick check reveals that I shouldn't have gone with Frontier for my ISP.

I hope this post helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    This one is annoying but easily fixed with a third party tool. Search for DDOPreloader. It works around the issue that Turbine needs to fix.

I hope this post helps.
    Yeah its a great little program.. My entire guild uses it.

And yeah just love the crashing vid drivers.

am working with ddo tech support team on this. I will post what we are doing and what works. Fingers cross!

Default I have had some coonection issues as well....

I will be looking forward to seeing if they can help you. I have been having connection issues lately as well. I even blogged about it at the beginning of the month and thought I had resolved the issue. I had originally thought it was due to my old router but now I'm not so sure because I ran into some log in problems this morning.

I'm beginning to think that the issue is more related to various ISP companies and them turning on and off access to various websites/servers. I have no idea how any of that stuff works but my connection problems seem to clean up after a short period of time (sometimes after a few hours within the same day) and other times it takes a few days (such as when I blogged about it above, where I basically lost a weekend's worth of questing). When I can get into the game, I typically have no problems at all, just the regular lag issues that the majority of the player base encounters. And I don't typically run into many log in problems.

Unfortunately I ran into some problems today. This morning, I was able to get to the character selection screen and was then booted after coming across a time out error as I was trying to load my character into the game. I re-logged and got to the character screen once again, selected another character, and loaded into the world just fine. I then logged that character out and logged in my original character I was trying to log with the first time. That time, I was able to log in and was able to do some maintenance. I then moved from House P to House K without a problem and then tried to go from House K to the Crafting Hall and then crashed. After that point, I couldn't log back into the game, I couldn't even get to the character selection screen.

What was interesting, when these things were going on I was also trying a Trace Route gls.ddo.com. I had tried two attempts and the route never connected. Even when I was connected in game.

In either case, I hope it will be working when I get back home from work today and I'll be interested in seeing if your connection issues get resolved. I just wish there was a way for the staff at Turbine to routinely test the different ISP companies to see if they are currently having issues or are blocking access to their servers and work with them as opposed to the players. I admit that I do not know enough about internet protocols or connections and kind of feel that my hands are tied with situations like this. If Turbine could stay ahead of this it would really help out the playerbase, at least in my opinion.

Signing into the game twice is the life I live nowadays. I posted about it a while back, and didn't get a response. I'm excited to see some mention of this DDOPreloader thing. Perhaps that will solve my issue.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).