Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Purple Dragon Eldritch Knight Sorcerer

Anyone come up with a decent build yet?

I'm thinking 18/2 Sorcerer/Fighter or a Paladin/Monk splash.

18 Sorcerer gives you a level 9 spell so minimizes any hit to spell DC's. 17 or 15 sorcerer 1 fighter and 2 monk and/or paladin gives either evasion and extra martial feats and/or good saves. But -1 or -2 spell DC's.

Maybe either dual wielding Nightmare, the Fallen Moon bastard swords, sword and board or use great swords.

Default Notice: This person has little experience w/custom builds...forgive him =)

First off, I like the idea of PDK...hadn't thought of that as an option for EdK (or whatever the established abbreviation is for it, just gonna use EdK)

One question though...as an EdK, are spell DC's really necessary? Seems to me that if a character is going to worry about Spell DC's, the feats that take up minimize their melee potential...unless I'm missing a key component there.

Guess the main issue here is the healing part for a PDK/EdK. Kinda hard to wield a scroll while swinging a sword. Cocoon/Healing Spring are the obvious ones I guess, the only things I can think of. I guess some paladin/fvs splashing might help, but I confess I know little of those classes. My main experience is with Sorcs and Wizzys, but I like the possibilities of the EdK.

-Jayron

Generalists are really bad and don't work. You need to specialize either melee or offensive spellcasting. If you're going for eldritch knight, that means you're going for melee and simplyleveraging several unique support abilities that arcanes bring to the table:

1) quickened reconstruct
    2) extended haste/displacement
    3) wings
    4) no-save CC (ice storm, maybe solid or acid fog)
    5) ddoor

There's really not much more to it than that, and you only need 12 arcane levels for all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Generalists are really bad and don't work. You need to specialize either melee or offensive spellcasting. If you're going for eldritch knight, that means you're going for melee and simplyleveraging several unique support abilities that arcanes bring to the table:

1) quickened reconstruct
    2) extended haste/displacement
    3) wings
    4) no-save CC (ice storm, maybe solid or acid fog)
    5) ddoor

There's really not much more to it than that, and you only need 12 arcane levels for all of the above.
    First point is that PDK are human so no reconstruct.

I wouldn't go less than 16 sorcerer levels as Otto's Irresistible Dance is too good to miss when in melee on hard hitting ee mobs.

So Im thinking a 16/2/2 with a choice between monk and paladin as 3rd class.

This is what I have for a THF 36pt build.

str 16 (+5 tome required)
    dex 8
    con 16 (+5 tome required)
    int 8
    wis 8
    cha 18

2 level ups in strength rest in charisma.

Feats in no particular order.
    1 toughness
    1h thf
    1f cleave
    2f power attack
    3 ithf
    6 gthf
    9 great cleave
    12 imp crit slash
    15 quicken
    18 maximize
    21 epic toughness
    24 overwhelming crit
    26 pthf
    27 ruin/empower
    28 hellball/20 force/fire

Also 2 more martial if taking monk levels. With a 3rd of Charisma mod added to tactics DC stunning blow may be useful choice.

Epic Destiny Draconic

Draconic Presence 3/3
    Energy Shealth Electrical 3/3
    Go Out With A Bang 3/3
    Dragon Heritage 2/3
    Dragon Spell Knowledge 2/3
    Daunting Roar
    Energy Burst 3/3
    Energy Vortex
    Dragon Breath
    Charisma x2

Twists choices among others
    Lay Waste
    Momentous Swing
    Rejuv
    Boulder Toss
    Legendary Tactics

Probably best choice is fire and wear Sage's Spectacles for destiny abilities. Other option is electrical and use Iron Beads.
    Last edited by HuneyMunster; 11-14-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HuneyMunster View Post
    Just spitballing: 3 Artificer levels would qualify you for Construct Essence and give you full UMD. However, many players would consider the build (very) weird.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (EK wraith) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (Fiend Warlock) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Monk) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

Community Member

I wouldn't go less than 16 sorcerer levels as Otto's Irresistible Dance is too good to miss when in melee on hard hitting ee mobs.

dex 8
    int 8
    wis 8
    cha 18

1 toughness
    1h thf
    1f cleave
    2f power attack
    3 ithf
    6 gthf
    9 great cleave
    12 imp crit slash
    15 quicken
    18 maximize
    21 epic toughness
    24 overwhelming crit
    26 pthf
    27 ruin/empower

Also 2 more martial if taking monk levels. With a 3rd of Charisma mod added to tactics DC stunning blow may be useful choice.

Epic Destiny Draconic

Draconic Presence 3/3
    Go Out With A Bang 3/3
    Dragon Heritage 2/3
    Daunting Roar
    Energy Burst 3/3
    Energy Vortex
    Dragon Breath
    Charisma x2

Lay Waste
    Momentous Swing
    Rejuv
    Boulder Toss
    Legendary Tactics

Probably best choice is fire and wear Sage's Spectacles for destiny abilities. Other option is electrical and use Iron Beads.
    Otto's irresistable is garbage, ice storm is better.

First, it's single target, which means reconstruct functions as the same thing. Get more DPS and learn to position and then you won't even think about using **** single target CC. There are too many awesome splashes with 6-8 levels of various melee classes which actually play to your strength, instead of making you a weaker melee with crappy CC.

dex 8
    int 8
    wis 8
    cha 18

1 toughness
    1h thf
    1f cleave
    2f power attack
    3 ithf
    6 gthf
    9 great cleave
    12 imp crit slash
    15 quicken
    18 maximize
    21 epic toughness
    24 overwhelming crit
    26 pthf
    27 ruin/empower

Epic Destiny Draconic

Draconic Presence 3/3
    Go Out With A Bang 3/3
    Dragon Heritage 2/3
    Daunting Roar
    Energy Burst 3/3
    Energy Vortex
    Dragon Breath
    Charisma x2

Lay Waste
    Momentous Swing
    Rejuv
    Boulder Toss
    Legendary Tactics

Assuming you're actually trying to build a strong high end build, you're doing it wrong. Stop trying to be a hybrid and pick a focus of either melee or or spellcasting. Draconic Incarnation isn't even a good spell casting epic destiny. The way you're building you won't be good at anything and it'll just be a flavor build. Otto's irresistable is not needed, it's not very good. There is no way you should be going PDK or human when you have quickened reconstruct available to you. Pick a 12/6/2 splash and focus on melee damage. Or if you want to have offensive casting, go with any number of builds posted already without Eldritch Knight.

why not LR out the FTR lvl and go 16/2/2 Sorc/Pal/Monk?

same number of feats, higher saves, and Evasion
    Last edited by Asmodeus451; 11-15-2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: typos
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post
    why not LR out the FTR lvl and go 16/2/2 Sorc/Pal/Monk?

same number of feats, higher saves, and Evasion

16/2/2 Sorc/Pal/Monk con based earth savant for earthgrab.
    Bladeforged with reconstruct SLA? Dwarf with Axe/Con to Damage? PW:Stun backup, and whatever destiny you want? Twist Sense Weakness?
    Last edited by Tilomere; 11-15-2013 at 01:13 PM.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Mew your telling him to stop building an EK as a Hybrid...EKs inherent nature IS a hybrid...this is something the devs failed miserably at though and unfortunately EK is really weak beyond the first few abilities and the lack of Int/Cha to atk/dmg basically forces EKs to be PDK Sorcs.

OP just ignore the people who think EE is the only thing that matters give me a bit to look over your build and I'll try to offer some actual legitimate advice instead of just saying "your doing it wrong"
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 11-15-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Mew your telling him to stop building an EK as a Hybrid...EKs inherent nature IS a hybrid...this is something the devs failed miserably at though and unfortunately EK is really weak beyond the first few abilities and the lack of Int/Cha to atk/dmg basically forces EKs to be PDK Sorcs.

OP just ignore the people who think EE is the only thing that matters give me a bit to look over your build and I'll try to offer some actual legitimate advice instead of just saying "your doing it wrong"
    No it's not inherently a hybrid, it's not inherently anything. The fact is, the eldritch knight is stronger if you focus on melee. Have fun playing a build that is not necessarily the strongest (I do as well) but a hybrid in this case won't be as good as a focused melee build that simply takes advantage of arcane utility.

In fact, hybrids are generally so bad in current meta, that not even the juggernaut was a hybrid, since it completely avoided its strongest offensive spell, blade barrier yet had the full 16 caster levels. I wouldn't even classify druid/monks as true hybrids, since the only offensive spell used is generally sleetquake for CC.

I don't know how you can say my advice is not legitimate. That sounds like opinionated BS to me, so what makes your opinion better than mine? Especially when what I'm saying is correct.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    No it's not inherently a hybrid, it's not inherently anything. The fact is, the eldritch knight is stronger if you focus on melee. Have fun playing a build that is not necessarily the strongest (I do as well) but a hybrid in this case won't be as good as a focused melee build that simply takes advantage of arcane utility.

In fact, hybrids are generally so bad in current meta, that not even the juggernaut was a hybrid, since it completely avoided its strongest offensive spell, blade barrier yet had the full 16 caster levels. I wouldn't even classify druid/monks as true hybrids, since the only offensive spell used is generally sleetquake for CC.

I don't know how you can say my advice is not legitimate. That sounds like opinionated BS to me, so what makes your opinion better than mine? Especially when what I'm saying is correct.
    I don't see anything wrong with purposed build. What is it you would change to make it more melee? Majority of the feats are already melee, CHA for damage, hits strength just enough for OC, saves from paladin, monk. Casting ability is a bonus. Lack of self healing is the only negative but just like everyone else twist cocoon and jump around.

There are two large flaws with this build.

The biggest is that he's taking a casting epic destiny and combining it with a melee focused build. That just leads to dilution and a weak build. The second flaw is PDK. PDK is a trap and not worth it. You can just go STR based and save AP, save a twist slot, have better self healing and a bunch of still useful immunities. Even if you don't go STR based, most of the stat boosts are coming from items, so the small gain from PDK is really, really marginal compared to the massive loss in defense.

So basically, to save this build:

1) Warforged or bladeforged
    2) Melee-focused destiny

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Ok we Mew we get it, YOU don't like this kind of build clearly the OP (and many others) do otherwise the devs never would have added EK so please stop posting unless you have anything helpful to say.

Anyways to the OP whilst I LOVE multi-classing (I'm serious even if a capstone or other lvl 20 ability is vastly superior I love making it into some abomination that doesn't quite reach the single class build but is close and more versatile) unfortunately we don't have alot of the feats from PnP that help this and unfortunately spellcasters are hit the hardest so I wouldn't drop more than a few levels for multi-classing...personally I'd go Sorc18/Paladin2 if your willing to spend $ on the LR+1 or if this is a TR build...otherwise Sorc17/PDK1/Pally2 is your best bet...with the shield deflection feat (from PDK) and your inevitably massive saves evasion is less important.

Now I would go Cha/Con Based with a side of Dex...PA/C/GC/OC is nice but you really don't have the feat room for it.

Here's what I'd go with

Lawful-Good PDK Sorc18/Pally2 (EK/Earth Savant)

Dex 12
    Con 16
    Int 10 (+2 int tome for more points in balance)
    Cha 18 (Lvl ups here)

34pt build:Int 12 36pt:Int 12/Dex14

Skills: UMD,Concen, Balance

Feats

PDK Shield Mastery
    1 Maximize
    2 Empower
    3 IC:Slashing (or IC:Pierce if you prefer Shortswords)
    4 ISM
    5 ISB
    6 Combat Expertise
    7 SF: UMD (or PL:Wiz if avail)
    ED Draconic Incarnation
    21 Bulwark of Defense
    24 Great Charisma
    26 Epic Mage Armor or Guardian Angel
    27 Epic Reflexes or Ruin
    28 Hellball

Couple points about feats I didn't add:

- Quicken: It's nice to have but far less useful to a fleshy caster if you learn how to jump cast you'll rarely have issues with spellcasting midbattle.

- THF Line+Bastard Sword: The DPS you get from this line is so miniscule I'd only take it if it was a single feat that scaled with character level let alone wasting a 4th feat of weapon prof being limited to bastard swords as your primary weapon would not be good either (although if your forced to go 17/2/1 you can use that fighter lvl to get B-Sword prof so you can use all 3 1-handed PDK weapons)

- PA/C/GC/OC is nice but you really don't have the feat room for it let alone it being a massive waste of build points

- Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack/Whirlwind: Not enough feat space otherwise this would be awesome.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 11-15-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

15. 11-15-2013, 10:47 PM

first: sorc are feat strave
    second: as pdk sorc you have no ability to self healing

so either way your casting ability will be...hmm.. not as good.. at least..

serious edk tree seem totally worthless to me.. at least for pure build.. if you are melee splash build? am not so sure.. but imo splashing wiz/sorc may not be the best idea..

Community Member

I'm trying to find a way to make EK work as well. I like the PDK idea using CHA as your melee stat however I think the responses here are correct in that you need to focus on melee OR nuking (and as an EK I guess melee is the choice.) You could, however, go the no DC caster route but then you aren't using those EK powers so what is the point?

Using PDK I'm looking at some sort of Sorc/FvS/Pal mix to get that healing, I know there is synergy there somewhere with EK and Warpriest I just wish Ron's planner was updated so I could really see it side by side.

Regarding Shield Bash vs. THF, does the bash only proc when blocking? I don't typically shield block. I was thinking something along the lines of Shield Mastery, PA, cleave, gcleave, THF, bastard sword (maybe gimpy longsword with fvs?)

Also not totally convinced PDK is better than just dumping fvs and going WF/BF.

I love the IDEA of EK I just can't find its real strengths...feels like a druid wolf build without the bonus alacrity.

Quote Originally Posted by forest60 View Post
    I'm trying to find a way to make EK work as well. I like the PDK idea using CHA as your melee stat however I think the responses here are correct in that you need to focus on melee OR nuking (and as an EK I guess melee is the choice.) You could, however, go the no DC caster route but then you aren't using those EK powers so what is the point?

Using PDK I'm looking at some sort of Sorc/FvS/Pal mix to get that healing, I know there is synergy there somewhere with EK and Warpriest I just wish Ron's planner was updated so I could really see it side by side.

Regarding Shield Bash vs. THF, does the bash only proc when blocking? I don't typically shield block. I was thinking something along the lines of Shield Mastery, PA, cleave, gcleave, THF, bastard sword (maybe gimpy longsword with fvs?)

Also not totally convinced PDK is better than just dumping fvs and going WF/BF.

I love the IDEA of EK I just can't find its real strengths...feels like a druid wolf build without the bonus alacrity.
    If you plan on using a weapon that's available as one of the favored weapons, there's that. Beyond that, the only synergy is with Divine Might, but that's also available in Paladin. There's, maybe, Ameliorating Strike for some self-sufficiency, but not sure how reliable that is and you'd have to go 4 FvS for it. If I were making a Sorc EK, I'd go either Sorc/Pal/Fight if I was planning on going sword and board with medium/heavy armor or Sorc/Pal/Monk if I was planning on going light or no armor with evasion and maybe stances.

I'm looking at a Wiz/Monk/Fight build as a Q-Staff Henshin Wraith Eldritch Knight. There's some good synergy between Henshin and Eldritch; extra spellpower, elemental weaknesses, any q-staff as an implement.
    Last edited by Saravis; 11-16-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saravis View Post
    I'm looking at a Wiz/Monk/Fight build as a Q-Staff Henshin Wraith Eldritch Knight. There's some good synergy between Henshin and Eldritch; extra spellpower, elemental weaknesses, any q-staff as an implement.
    I like that idea. What level splits do you envision with it? edit: scratch that, have to go 12 wiz for wraith and 6 monk for Qstaff as implement, so I guess 12/6/2

To the original idea, you could do Sorc/Monk/Fight if using PDK (still no healing) or go WF/BF (back to paladin likely) and heal all day (gives up Wraith from the Wiz idea though).
    Last edited by forest60; 11-16-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Atomic is right. the rest of u are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianka View Post
    Atomic is right. the rest of u are wrong.
    Arianka is wrong. There is no right or wrong.
    - Kalevala of Khyber- Suomi Funland Perkele -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast