Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default first impressions of a study in sable

I was looking forward to a new quest and just based on the graphics I dug it as soon as I got in.
    That was the very last time I liked any of it.
    First impression is it's the most boring quest in the game. just endless searching for who knows what useless items to advance a storyline I'm really not interested in reading versus playing. can't you guys afford to hire more voice actors instead of bibles of character text? You did it with all the explorer thingies why not with quests? Even google reader gives us the option to hear the words. If I wanted to read a book I would buy one. Text? click click click blah blah blah.
    Disappointing.
    There is very little fighting and more searching than I want in an adventure. Even so far as to put a durn HEDGE MAZE in the quest just to waste more time walking around aimlessly or returning to rehash interactions with static npcs.
    I'm still not completed and I've been in this thing 90 minutes doing basically nothing. The rip off of the vampire diaries is cute at best. Unfortunately the "find my notes/journals/missives/etc" trick is so tired now. There's always one left you never find. The only thing that would make this worse is if they put a stupid shroud or floor tile puzzle in it. Who designed this? An avid crossword puzzler?

Stopped to write this post as a sort of rant. I know it gets easier as you learn more but first impressions don't get a do over.

When I go back I may just recall without completing and check the other new quest.
    I'll come back when the "how to do sable in 5 minutes" zergers post something up.

Oh and save the guest? Save them from what? There's no attackers. Just moar stuffz you have to search for.

Quote Originally Posted by krimsonrane View Post
    I was looking forward to a new quest and just based on the graphics I dug it as soon as I got in.
    That was the very last time I liked any of it.
    First impression is it's the most boring quest in the game. just endless searching for who knows what useless items to advance a storyline I'm really not interested in reading versus playing. can't you guys afford to hire more voice actors instead of bibles of character text? You did it with all the explorer thingies why not with quests? Even google reader gives us the option to hear the words. If I wanted to read a book I would buy one. Text? click click click blah blah blah.
    Disappointing.
    There is very little fighting and more searching than I want in an adventure. Even so far as to put a durn HEDGE MAZE in the quest just to waste more time walking around aimlessly or returning to rehash interactions with static npcs.
    I'm still not completed and I've been in this thing 90 minutes doing basically nothing. The rip off of the vampire diaries is cute at best. Unfortunately the "find my notes/journals/missives/etc" trick is so tired now. There's always one left you never find. The only thing that would make this worse is if they put a stupid shroud or floor tile puzzle in it. Who designed this? An avid crossword puzzler?

Stopped to write this post as a sort of rant. I know it gets easier as you learn more but first impressions don't get a do over.

When I go back I may just recall without completing and check the other new quest.
    I'll come back when the "how to do sable in 5 minutes" zergers post something up.

I haven't tried it yet, however, from my understanding, it's supposed to be an intrigue, mystery "who-done-it" style quest. In other words, finally, a quest that ISN'T all about running through and killing things. A quest where you have to think and take your time to move forward through. About time we got another one of these, they are few and far between.

Don't like it? Want something that is more actiony? You have hundreds of other quests to choose from...those of us who like puzzles and riddles and such don't have a lot to choose from to get our fix. Props to Turbine for including something like this for us!
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

finally at the boss fight. Or about to fight him. I'm outside his door on my rogue. Man I should have just slept with the manor lord for a few days and saved all my wasted time.
    I'll let you know how the end fight goes.

Why is it fanbois are always the first to feel froggy?
    Save your advice for someone who asked. I am entitled to my opinion right? Or do I simply have to be "wrong" and need the ddo forumite heroes to come correcting my opinions?

Why is it fanbois are always the first to feel froggy?
    Save your advice for someone who asked. I am entitled to my opinion right? Or do I simply have to be "wrong" and need the ddo forumite heroes to come correcting my opinions?
    You are stating your opinion as fact. Instead of saying the quest is terrible and Turbine did a bad job, you could instead say "Hey, this quest isn't for me, I am not the target audience"...and then move on to the countless other quests that do target players like you.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

OK. Boss fight. As I write this my toon is in a stuck point and being beaten to death. So what.

I creep in unseen and look around. Dozens of empty rooms with 1-2-3 or NO monsters and suddenly there's a group of half a dozen resistant red names, a boss and a couple of un-assassinatable vampires in your face.
    The tips says to destroy the pillars and let sunlight in. So I creep up the stairs, move into the spot between a pillar and wall to be unseen and start wacking. Probably out of sheer impatience I forget combat noise makes monsters come from all over nowadays. The pillars have purple worm HP's btw.
    A few seconds later the rednamed goon squad arrives, I'm trapped, stuck, surrounded and unable to do diddly.

What a waste...

Thumbs down Secret door bug or WAI?

Recalled out after one hour because I cannot complete it. I can't find the secret doors even though I have true seeing on. I am not a Rogue.

Not sure if this quest can be completed without a Rogue, but I didn't care to stay in it any longer.

I didn't read any of the Journals, just clicked on them. I will read stuff sometimes, as long as I am having fun. This quest is annoying and I clicked on the journals, but didn't care to read them.

Update, Edit: props to the game, The Boss is tough as nails! and even more!

First time entering this quest: I explored the entire Dungeon as much as was allowed before taking to Edmund and it bugged out on me in that it skipped a lot of content and went right to cellar. This is bad! and bugs the quest because even though I had found the rat trap it still showed I needed to explore the cellar. The quest becomes locked into thinking you talked to the main npc in the first place and the Dev's did not think about what if A Player explores the whole area first and grabs items first. The Butler with the lisp does not impress me! I ignored him and just explored and grabbed 3 items first before taking to the main NPC and that is where I think It bugged. It must be done in a certain order and it is best to talk to Edmund first and avoid exploring?!

Talk to the main NPC first and avoid exploring and grabbing stuff and all is well. Once again the what if's were not thought about, and they think we are simple minded. all in all this quest gets a 4 out of 10 from me. Just because!.........

Just because a butler npc tells me to go talk to some Main Npc I have no idea where he is, does not mean you have to make it main code. Think about the what if's for once!

I re did the quest and acted like a drone like you think we are! (rolls eyes) and talked to the main NPC first and the quest did what is was supposed to do. I hate conforming to a quest you think I am stupid to. You give us free roam about the Dungeon, but it bugs the quest! YOU GUYS ARE NOT IN TOUCH! How many times Do I have to say, Think abou

If you are going to make a complicated Dungeon then do it right. I have been saying this since I joined and you have not listened. The what if's are more important and will prevent bugs in the long run! Stop with the narrow mindedness, not thinking about, what if this happens, and think about what if this happens and less bugs will be in the game from the get go and its' future! This is simple coding and so far from what I have seen you always fail in this. PUKE!
    Last edited by zDragonz; 11-12-2013 at 11:18 PM.

9. 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM

10. 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    Recalled out after one hour because I cannot complete it. I can't find the secret doors even though I have true seeing on. I am not a Rogue.

Not sure if this quest can be completed without a Rogue, but I didn't care to stay in it any longer.

I didn't read any of the Journals, just clicked on them. I will read stuff sometimes, as long as I am having fun. This guest is annoying and I clicked on the journals, but didn't care to read them.
    I found the secret door on my rogue but I don't remember it being crucial to completing. You gotta keep finding the little nonsensical things like the dogs chewtoy and bring it to each guest to see if they are under the vamps control. I did the same guy twice with two different thingys by mistake. Finding a cube traps one of the guests if you choose to let him have an artifact as a distraction.
    Aparently sleeping in the lords room advances the quest. I don't know if you can just click rest here over and over to open the doors and advance the story without finding the "stuffz" till the last day. If you could that would be best. Then go through all the rooms last and do the tasks.
    Last edited by krimsonrane; 11-13-2013 at 01:06 AM.

go away before I report you. I'm not interested in your challenge to argue and I have no intention of feeding trolls.
    A bit harsh don't you think? The quest was free and different. Props....I haven't even tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Not a troll, just stating that because the quest isn't for you doesn't make it a bad quest. Report me if you like, I'm doing nothing against the rules.
    Are you done now? Did you get it off your chest? have I been properly instructed on the err of my ways enough for you to let it go?

Community Member

Is this a joke thread?

Quote Originally Posted by shibe View Post
    A bit harsh don't you think? The quest was free and different. Props....I haven't even tried it yet.
    No. I don't think so. This is a habit in the forums and I'm not interested in supporting it. Nip it early.
    It's ok to love a game or a company. it's not ok to bash peoples opinions as a kneejerk reaction to anything that doesn't suit your fervor. THE TITLE SAYS FIRST IMPRESSION. Not first facts.
    Your first impressions are individual and non repeatable.
    The content of my post apparently isn't the issue as it speaks for itself. The target of my public thought was.
    Just once I'd really like to speak my opinion without the first post being a fanboi defending their mmo gods from blasphemy. If you like it fine. Write a love poem about it. You won't see me pouncing on someone for saying so. That's why their called opinions. It's yours.
    I don't need correcting and don't appreciate unwarranted, unsolicited advice as much as others may.

No. I don't think so. This is a habit in the forums and I'm not interested in supporting it. Nip it early.
    It's ok to love a game or a company. it's not ok to bash peoples opinions as a kneejerk reaction to anything that doesn't suit your fervor. THE TITLE SAYS FIRST IMPRESSION. Not first facts.
    Your first impressions are individual and non repeatable.
    The content of my post apparently isn't the issue as it speaks for itself. The target of my public thought was.
    Just once I'd really like to speak my opinion without the first post being a fanboi defending their mmo gods from blasphemy. If you like it fine. Write a love poem about it. You won't see me pouncing on someone for saying so. That's why their called opinions. It's yours.
    I don't need correcting and don't appreciate unwarranted, unsolicited advice as much as others may.
    Your OP was nothing but negativity towards a quest that is not geared towards players like you. I never attacked you or said anything negative towards you. I merely stated that, hey, this quest isn't meant for your play style, but that doesn't make it bad. It may not be your cup of tea, but that in and of itself does not make it a bad quest. I then stated that I think Turbine did something good by creating a quest that wasn't about zerging to the end and hitting a meatbag of hit points.

If you want to take any of my OP, which is a reply to your OP, as a personal attack, then that is on you. I was just merely stating that I like that we have a new type of quest to play through. The second comment was more directed towards you, the individual, for reading into what I said way too much and doing a personal attack on me.

Leader of The Dark Creed

Immortal Executioner & Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

/Popcorn
    /Drink
    >>>>>>> NobleFist Guild <<<<<<<
    DeepCutter ~ MidnightRed ~ Cardeeo ~ Dalmore ~ TracyDragon ~ Aftershock ~ MakersMark ~Imortalwrath
    Beta player & Leader of a Founders Guild 11yrs and going

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Your OP was nothing but negativity towards a quest that is not geared towards players like you. I never attacked you or said anything negative towards you. I merely stated that, hey, this quest isn't meant for your play style, but that doesn't make it bad. It may not be your cup of tea, but that in and of itself does not make it a bad quest. I then stated that I think Turbine did something good by creating a quest that wasn't about zerging to the end and hitting a meatbag of hit points.

If you want to take any of my OP, which is a reply to your OP, as a personal attack, then that is on you. I was just merely stating that I like that we have a new type of quest to play through. The second comment was more directed towards you, the individual, for reading into what I said way too much and doing a personal attack on me.
    See... this is what I said I didn't want to do. An endless argument for what? Really, for what? (Rhetorical)
    I am done answering.

Hero of the People Golddragon87's Avatar

I am amused by the general discussion topic that attacks the concept of general discussion. Can you pass the popcorn please?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Proud resident of Sarlona. Player of "Gilgimesh the Steel Demon".

Community Member

Yep, this has to be a troll thread. It can't be serious... if it is... well... that is very sad.

See... this is what I said I didn't want to do. An endless argument for what? Really, for what? (Rhetorical)
    I am done answering.
    No last word?
    Groz, Almostthere, Medicant and Harvezzt. Argo RULES!

I checked in on my dead body and noticed a trick. The mob destroyed the pillar.
    A defender type standing there tanking could make life easier.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast