Default AA Paralyzing arrows: is DC 26 worthwhile in epics?

Paralyzing Arrows:

Arcane Archer Imbue Toggle: You imbue your arrows with paralyzing force. On Hit: Target is paralyzed. (Will DC 18/22/26 negates.)

Is it worth to spend 2 AP's to make the arrows DC 26, or will epic mobs still only fail on 1?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Paralyzing Arrows:

Arcane Archer Imbue Toggle: You imbue your arrows with paralyzing force. On Hit: Target is paralyzed. (Will DC 18/22/26 negates.)

Is it worth to spend 2 AP's to make the arrows DC 26, or will epic mobs still only fail on 1?
    While playing my Favored Soul 14 / Monk 6 divine archer elf dex to damage, I noticed a fair amount of Paralyzation working even on EE.

So, I swapped from my Tier 5 cold arrows to paralyzing arrows and saw the amount of paralyzation decrease instead of increase.

Likely this was due to my cold arrows granting -1 to saving throws per hit (max -5)?

I take it you were using Paralyzing bow? What was the DC on it?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

I upgraded my Paralyzing Arrows to 3rd tier and it hits a lot in EE content. Never experimented with only 1st tier.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

Mobs roll 1s.

These are surprisingly effective even in EE.

Paralyzing, the weapon effect, is a DC 17 for comparison against the AA enbument.

There may be some that are "no fail on a 1" but essentially think of them as a 5% proc (for comparison, Shiradi procs are only 7%). High enough rate of fire and they stick.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

EH they work well at tier 3 ...... EE is a little less handy but not enough that I use a different imbue

Community Member

I second the OP question.

Is it worthwhile to spend 6 APs on terror arrows 2-3 and paralyzing arrows 2-3 in epic environment or would mobs just save on a 2 anyway?
    Slaying arrows only requires terror arrows 1 and paralyzing arrows 1, and if paralyzing only happens on a 1 anyway, I'd rather spend those points elsewhere in the AA tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabuchadnezzar83 View Post

Is it worthwhile to spend 6 APs on terror arrows 2-3 and paralyzing arrows 2-3 in epic environment or would mobs just save on a 2 anyway?
    Slaying arrows only requires terror arrows 1 and paralyzing arrows 1, and if paralyzing only happens on a 1 anyway, I'd rather spend those points elsewhere in the AA tree.
    This is a good question. I just assumed that terror3 > paralyzing3 would make it more likely to proc. But if that isnt so, I too would like to spend those points elsewhere. I cant afford a respec right now to test this, anyone volunteer?
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Nope, I was using a Pinion with cold Imbued Arrows.
    Another party member was using Paralyzing Arrows.

There was a great deal of paralyzing going on.

When I swapped my imbue to paralyzing, the amount of paralyzing decreased instead of increasing.
    Some of the mob slowness vanished as well.

This caused me to shift imbues back to cold.
    I did continue questing with that party member for a significant amount of time.
    We both felt that cold + paralyzation combo was effective in EE quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabuchadnezzar83 View Post

Considering the above observation that a -5 penalty to mobs
    {Frost Arrows: Your arrows gain On Critical Hit: Target gains 1 stack of Lethargy (You have -1 to all Saving throws. Non-bosses also move and attack 5% slower. This effect stacks up to 5 times.)}
    makes a difference, then one could conclude that decreasing the DC of the paralyzing imbue is not wise.

Community Member

Thing is, I see casters usually looking for 60+ DCs on their enchantment spells to ensure they're landing. (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5155433)
    That means most epic elite mob saves are as high as +40. DC 26 in that case would be equivalent to DC 10, since those mobs would save on a 2 anyway.

Also, if you're using improved frost arrows, you're not using paralyzing arrows until they fix the AA capstone. Let's assume you can reliably use both by prepping and switching, your effective DC just went up to 31.

On EH, my DC-less fvs has a BB DC of 22 and mobs save every time. On EE, I would wager they'd save against 31 DC just as well.
    However, I'll test this as soon as I hit level 20. Currently, at level 11, I start to see elite mobs saving regularly against paralyze and I have to focus on one mob to just keep it paralyzed and/or use manyshot, even then sometimes it doesn't work.

TL;DR
    Paralyzing arrows are great, but if mobs only fail on a 1 anyway, I'd still use them, but would save 6 APs to put elsewhere.
    Last edited by Nabuchadnezzar83; 11-20-2013 at 07:10 AM.